Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Low cost lap timer

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

U could do what we use to do and it only cost us a crappy computer, software and printer. Get the AMb software and have one guy sit there all day long and run the race. He would start the race, anouce the race and also be the lap counter by punching in the computer the car number each time it went by the start/finish line. It's pretty easy. He was also sitting close to the start/finish line to boot. Then when the racers can get there own transponders when they can afford them. That way you just keep counting the ones without them untill they all get transponders. We also barried the wire for the transpounders under the start/finish line.

Make sense?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
There is also the orion lap counting system if you can find it, however they stopped selling them once AMB came out. I called orion to see if I can buy the PC link cable and software, but they said they do not support this system anymore. If you can find one, they do work great.
AMB has been around for longer then Orion, also the Orion LCS only worked for 1 car.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Bolink used to sell a lap counter system. Could find a used set somewhere but doubt it.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vr6cj
r. Get the AMb software and have one guy sit there all day ....sh line.

Make sense?
Nope.

AMB is hardware, not race timing software.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

KO Propo has a system also but I hear it's fairly expensive too.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
Nope.

AMB is hardware, not race timing software.
Well, we had the software from someone. I'll have to look it up.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
Robotronic sells a system thats similar to the AMB system. check it out, its in stock at SpeedtechRC

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...?catmainid=675
I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THE ROBOTRONICS ALSO
Old 08-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

KO will have a newer version of our lap counting system released later this year (ARC Type 4). Price has come down on the decoder box and will connect using USB. The transponders are a lot cheaper then the AMB as well.

http://www.kopropo.com/america/index...=52&Itemid=108
Old 08-08-2008, 01:53 AM
Tech Regular

absolute low cost solution (but not the most convenient): the use of Laps Free (www.rctiming.com)
Just install a laptop or old computer near the start/finish. Install Laps Free on it which is FREE software, and do the input manually, i.e. by typing in the number of a car every time it passes the finishline, ... which is the inconvenient part.
You need someone to stay at the laptop. COuld take turns.

Advantage of this system is that it also does all the talking: announcing the race, giving start, announcing positions ... You just need to hook up some speakers to your laptop or old pc.
Other advantage is that you can also connect any type of time-keeping-device later on when you get the budget. So you can connect the AMB-system, or Robitronics stuff, or I-Laps ... and still type in manually for those who don't have a transponder.

This is exactly the same solution vr6cj presented, I know. But he gave the advice to get the AMB-software, which costs a lot too. Laps Free is free.

It is not the most versatile, but hey, you get more then what you payed for, and once used to it, it really functions well
Old 08-08-2008, 03:55 AM
Tech Adept

yip laps free works well we use it at our club events but that is with the amb system but you could do the manual counting wont be too accurate though!
if you had 2 ppl operating the lap top one calling out the numbers and one punching them in it meght be better ??
Old 08-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlideMasteR
if you had 2 ppl operating the lap top one calling out the numbers and one punching them in it meght be better ??
That is the super old school way. I used to work at a track like 15 years ago, and we did it like that on a Commodore 64 that had a cartridge with the software on it(!)

Dirt oval races were like "5-3-7-2...1...4-6....3-5-7-2..4-1-6.." You had to be fast