R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Losi xxx-s SSG? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/23538-losi-xxx-s-ssg.html)

NeO-pRo-3 08-28-2003 11:44 PM

Losi xxx-s SSG?

Does anyone know if in the near future it would be possible for the xxx-s to have the ssg carbon chassis or just plain black carbon fiber chassis? Is it even possible for the xxx-s to have its chassis made out of that material? I'm just asking cuz the yokomo has it, the tc3 has it, and the tamiya has it. Jus wondering if the xxx-s can have it

Randy Caster 08-28-2003 11:55 PM

The only way the XXXS could have it is if an entire upper deck was made to go with it. I can't say for sure, but I'd guess it will never happen. It would also most likely weigh a lot more and flex more than the chassis it has now.

NeO-pRo-3 08-28-2003 11:59 PM

That really sucks. I was hoping to see how the xxx-s would look like in ssG. Oh well ! thANks randman

Tag 08-29-2003 12:22 AM

i like the way it is , i just can't picture a XXX-s SSG...but that's a interesting concept but i guess it might not ever happen.

Randy Caster 08-29-2003 12:28 AM

SSG is cool, but unfortunately that stuff flexes horribly. Once they begin using a stiffer graphite underneath the silver, it will be a little better performance wise.

ROBORAT 08-29-2003 12:33 AM

actually the initial design of the xxxs was done with dual deck wover graphite plates instead of the one-piece tunnel/tub type chassis it comes with today. pics of that car (driven by kinwald)floated around the net before and i used to have a pic of it in my old PC but unfortunately dont have it anymore. so the concept isnt far fetched but i guess they saw the benefits of the molded tub. personally i hope it stays the way it is. the tunnel makes for a good rigid platform that has better resistance to tweeking....

... Kawada has a single belt TC with dual decks (there's an active topic for it here in rctech). check it out. it looks like the prototype xxxs i was mentioning.:nod:

Randy Caster 08-29-2003 12:40 AM

You could do it with front and rear bulkheads, and a mid motor mount, but I can't see any advantage doing it that way, you would propably even lose a little ridgitity by doing that.

dynamic_e 08-29-2003 06:26 AM

Well...

I might develop it if there was a market, but the XXXS G+ Chassis is allready great...I cant see it being more of a cosmetic issue. That and one of the key points with it is that the driveline is sealed from crap...a SSG kit for it would eliminate the sealed concept. That and the XXXS, after making bulkheads and all will start to look like a Kawada knockoff =)

As for SSG being weaker, it really dpeends on the core material or the composite. Usually, SSG is a nice cosmetic layer on the top surfaces with a woven graphite/carbon or fiberglass core. The reason SSG seems so flexable, especially in Yokomo's case is that they use a 2mm deck...finally ont he latest SD car, they had a 3mm deck. I know Yok drives with the 1/12 SSG car and the 2mm deck that complain that it's like spagetti

marvi 08-29-2003 08:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by ROBORAT
actually the initial design of the xxxs was done with dual deck wover graphite plates instead of the one-piece tunnel/tub type chassis it comes with today. pics of that car (driven by kinwald)floated around the net before and i used to have a pic of it in my old PC but unfortunately dont have it anymore...
is it this one ...

gotta love those oversized rear outdrives :eek: and retro gold anodized bulkheads :D

dynamic_e 08-29-2003 08:11 AM

Whoa

Thats pretty trick....

mo 08-29-2003 08:15 AM

The reason most companies go with a molded chassis over there graphite prototypes is cost, not performance. It is much cheaper to produce a molded tub after the initial investment of making the mold.

dynamic_e 08-29-2003 08:18 AM

Very true

Very true Mo...it's a heck of alot easier to pump out molded stuff them having parts machined...much more idiot proof too.

If there was a market for a losi SSG chassis, would you buy one if it was priced at $189? Thats what i'm contemplating....

cartmen34 08-29-2003 08:44 AM

Dynamic_e:
$189 for a Carbon Fiber chassis similar to the Prototype's chassis? I would probably spend that much...assuming it would come with all the correct hardware and bulkheads required to make the conversion.

dynamic_e 08-29-2003 08:49 AM

Cool

Kind of..thats a real rough estimate, but yep, it will be a full kit with bulkheads.

dynamic_e 09-04-2003 11:09 AM

Whoa...

I was measuring up my XXXS and trying to come up with a plan of action....but to make it a carbon fiber chassised car would take a complete redesign...i'm still thinking of how to do it, but it isn't easy...