Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drift or Race?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 01:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Drift or Race?

I have a Tamiya TT-01 and I am planning to hop up the motor and ESC ... etc and I am either going to make it a drifter or a racer. in other words do I buy a 7T or a 15T motor.

I was wondering what is the best motor/ESC to get for my car? List one combo for Drift and another for Race please because I am still not sure which way to go.

Cheers!
Old 08-02-2008, 02:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

depending on where you are running I wouldnt worry about turning it into a racer. They are good for running 540 or novice class. Friend of mine ran 540 with his but got his butt kicked most weeks, u cant gear it well enough to keep up with others.

Drifting is a different story I had 1 with a few little mods and a 19t Orion motor in it. Did a killer job ran a No Limit speedy in it....got one for sale if interested $30 plus some post and its all yours...think they are good till about 13t motor. Grab some simple little things like a alum motor mount and centre shaft...little heat sink and some decent drift rubber...runs all day with no issues.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For drifting I'd go with a 19T if you want to stay brushed. The thing is that you want low end torque, and a 15T will go faster and have less torque. However I've never drifted with either a 19T or 15T, so I couldn't really tell you.

For me, I started with the 27T motor (I had a Trinity C0-27 Pro stock) and it drifted pretty well with ABS. Though, it was a little too slow for me.

After I really got tired of the speed, I decided to buy a Mamba system, and picked up the 6900kV motor. The 6900kV is the equivalent of an 8 turn motor, whereas the 5700kV is the equivalent of a 10 turn. Being brushless, a lot of people use the range of 8-10.5 in terms of turns. I wish I picked up the 5700kV though, since my car seems to lack low end torque, and I really have to gear my motor down. Too much, in my opinion.

So if you stay brushed, I would go with the 19T, and pick up (if you can) the 20-25T pinions (you'll have to buy them in 20, 21 then 22,23, and 24,25 since they're in two packs) And get the 58 and 55 spur gears.

For extra mods to the car, I would definitely go with the aluminum motor mount, shaft and bearings. Other than that your car should hold up pretty well. The stock dogbones held up until I crashed into a wall with my 6900kV motor, so don't worry about snapping dogbones under the torque of a faster motor.

You can make ABS tires yourself, and 2 inch ABS is what you're looking for at a local hardware store. Or you can buy ABS tires online.

Good luck... and if you make the thing race then just switch your tires. If you were racing I would suggest getting the TRF shocks.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys,

I'm pretty sure I'll go drift because I know that some mates have awesome TT-01 drift cars and they seem to perform pretty well. Thanks again for the pointers because I had no idea what motor to get.

Cheers
Old 08-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

imo, buying motors above 19T for drifting is a bit over and pointless. 'coz as mooshu stated, it's torque that you want in drifting and not top speed. so going further down with lower turn motors is not good.