Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Lithium Poly Batteries - The future of R/C! >

Lithium Poly Batteries - The future of R/C!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lithium Poly Batteries - The future of R/C!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 09:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Hahha

I think this site is where all the big and great RC trends begin at
Old 08-29-2003, 09:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by futureal
Don't you mean XRC? haha
Haha, it's early .
Old 08-29-2003, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

people that are scared of change and experimentation always run in the fF main people that try and sucseed run in the A main right Scotty E.
people you need to be open mined to moved ahead dont knock it till you try it
Old 08-29-2003, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

people that are scared of change and experimentation always run in the F main ! people that try and succseed run in the A main right Scotty E.
people you need to be open mineded , to moved ahead dont knock it till you try it
Old 08-29-2003, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by Fasttrak
I purchased from several locations, the Kokams can be had here,

http://www.b-p-p.com/products.htm

But, you can not use just any charger unless it is specificaly set to charge Lipoly cells, or else your investment will quickly go up in a puff of smoke. I would also highly suggest using them with a brushless motor, unless you enjoy cutting coms after every run and replacing the brushes too. This technology is still in its infancy, but give it a couple years and it will most likely be the norm instead of the exception. One of my planes is a cheap little $50.00 Lite Stick, with a $140.00 brushless motor and a forty dollar battery, I usually end up landing due to a tired neck before the batteries ever dump.
couple of questions

which battery is fit for r/c the most?
im running abotu 5-10minutes for stock
i want the most punch and capacity as possible

and cant i just run it in stock class for the normal time and not have to cut the comm like a zillion times

Old 08-29-2003, 10:10 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Calvin, if you are still just running 5 minute heats, your comm wear shouldn't be too much different than what you would get with a sub-C cell pack. However, your local racing organization may not like the idea of you running different batteries, so I'd check with them first before purchasing anything of the sort.

I am thinking of a project car/truck with a brushless setup and these batteries. Maybe an R/C Tech-themed E-Maxx? Could be interesting.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:14 AM

yeah thats what i thought

coool be sure to post some pictures when your finished

oh yeah founds this site
http://www.espritmodel.com/

TP8200-5S4P 8200mAh, 5S4P(18.5V), 13 gauge wires
Rating: 5C Max Avg Discharge
Output: 18.5V Nominal, 8200mAh
Applications: Sub C replacement for 3D aircraft and helicopters.
Dimensions/wt: 12.75"x 2"x 1.15"/29.0 oz.

but is this ok for r/c
Old 08-29-2003, 01:27 PM
Tech Regular

Default hyperformance

Pirvan made a great point, these batteries can be configured numerous was to get the voltage needed. keep in mind that our current RC car packs are configured in series (4cells or 6 cells) i assume that excessive brush & comm wear when using these cells is contributed to packs being configured so that it produces high voltages (i cant remember what voltage the magizine packs were at). that being said you don't especially need 8 of these cells in one pack. you could get by with 4 cells, have the needed voltage, twice the run time as 3000's with half the weight. no one needs an 8000mah pack right now cause a brushed motor will cook! but i could sure go for some 4000mah that are half the weight & half the size as my 6cell 3000 packs. these thing will be great in electric drag cars!
Old 08-30-2003, 12:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Calvin Ng
yeah thats what i thought

coool be sure to post some pictures when your finished

oh yeah founds this site
http://www.espritmodel.com/

TP8200-5S4P 8200mAh, 5S4P(18.5V), 13 gauge wires
Rating: 5C Max Avg Discharge
Output: 18.5V Nominal, 8200mAh
Applications: Sub C replacement for 3D aircraft and helicopters.
Dimensions/wt: 12.75"x 2"x 1.15"/29.0 oz.

but is this ok for r/c
Not sure any of the car based wound motors are going to handle 18 volts very well, nor their ESC either. You would need a pack that was wired for the volts of a brushed motor for rc cars, something a bit closer to 7.2 volts. At 5c the pack you chose could handle a 42.5 ampere draw, more then plenty for a stock motor. I myself have yet to use the Li-polys in anything but small light planes. But did try with some small brushed motors, speed 400's and smaller with low amp draws. I am guessing with regards to brush wear, from having worked with low ampere draw motors with fairly tame workloads. If I had the total volts available to me throughout the entire race, my motor would have a meltdown
Old 09-06-2003, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.thunderpower-batteries.co...batteries.html
look down the middle-high powered , 7.4V sub C replacement!!
but dang, US$325?..what about the charger?

If u guys want to have some sort of poll:I also think moving forward and embracing new technology is good.Seriously i dont think there'd be ANY long term problems for ANY RC company.Heck,i suspect Sanyo and GP must have known this for longer than us,and i suspect they'd introduce their LiPo batt's sooner than we can buy them!

OF course,20 min runs would spell the end of the brushed motor,and i honestly can say:good riddance!!!.the heat from those things are terrible.waste of energy.
My current concern with these batteries are whether they can last as long as the current cells/dollar or not.wouldn't want to be buying a $300 pack that deteriorates in less than a year at least(300 is like 7 matched packs,10+ unmatched packs which can safely take u past 2 seasons and more)
Old 09-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default lithium polys on micros

wow that was a lot of reading....

but i didnt see anything about people who run micros with lipo poly batts. a bunch of my friends currently run two lipo poly cells on their micros...and they dont have any troubles. run times are NUTS! as you guys know.. or dont know.. run time on a micro battery (i.e. 1200mah 7.2v battery from team orion) will run about 10-15 mins before it dumps... the regular AA nimhs will do the same. when my friends run their micros with the two cell lith polys (or polies?) they go for a good 20-25 BEFORE they even notice a slight HINT of a performance drop. they never run it down. they usually run for 20 mins and then charge.

the batteries come from various places... since its micro.. they have to be light. some use camcorder batteries..some use cell phone batteries..and they use the camcorder charger to charge it. the problem is..it takes forever to charge (because of the whole linear charging deal). it does make a huge difference. we compared to two cars with the same motors... one had a 1200 nimh battery and the other had a 2-cell lith poly battery..and the micro that had the lith poly pulled the other like an 10-turn would pull a stock motor. Thats how big the difference it is.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Old 09-07-2003, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

What a great discussion !!!!!! Derek....you have a new fan.I enjoyed your views regarding current thoughts and the future of rc. As a staunch supporter of electric power, I'm thrilled with the prospect of another technology that furthers the electric movement.
As for the effect on matchers and motor tweakers my opinion is the same as others...get on the train or get left behind!! Yes there will be an initial financial impact but that is expected in any technology based business.
We should embrace this new technology just as we should be embracing the Brushless technology. I honestly believe that Brushless is being "curbed" by members of the industry because of the financial effect on brushed motor and esc sales. We the drivers and retailers ought to be Lobbying for programs that push for support of brushless technology and any technology like LiPoly that would support it.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:21 PM
Tech Regular

Dont you have to charge lithium batteries at a very low rate, like 1 amp, or .5 amps? Or are these packs different?
Old 09-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

We have to see the practical side of using these batteries for racing.The forthought and expense right now is too much.For racers that is.The charge rate for batteries thats are that high in mah at such a low rate of charge is not practical.Also the use of these batts which were not inteneded for high amp draw use is dangerous if not properly charged.Until the manufacturers of these batteries address these limitations we will not be able to use these in race applications practicaly. 1.5 amp charge rate for a 5800 mah battery will take forever.By the time people condsider using these batts,there will be new tech out to replace it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.