Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jermpool
Well said, I haven't been to my first race yet but have my car. From what i have read in the rules the only change I would like to see is a cheaper motor option. I bought mine used and it was already VTA legal but when I saw that the motor for the "affordable" racing class was 100 bucks, I had a bit of sticker shock. The biggest factor that drew me towards this class was the bodies and I can't wait for my first race.
It's strange but those of us who've been around for awhile remember a time not to long ago when brushed motors cost around 30-35 bucks. In order to keep them running at reasonable efficiency we needed to "cut" the commutator, replace brushes and constantly keep an eye on bushings or bearings. That required alot of extra costs and they still had finite lives. Brushless is WAY better in every respect but the initial purchase cost is higher. Add it up over just 1 season and I'll bet a brushless motor becomes much more cost efficient than any brushed motor we had. Most of us had 2 or 3 different motors that excelled in one department or another to fit various track types or surfaces. Thats 60-90 bucks worth of motors alone.
Welcome to VTA !! Hope you have a blast. You'll see that your hard earned dollar goes alot further these days. Thank goodness the "good old days" are gone.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FauxMako
In the RC world "growing" means switching classes. If you've "outgrown" USVTA, then the next class up would be USGT. It's only slightly faster (21.5 vs 25.5), rules are a little less restrictive and they welcome any realistic body. You can run you're RX3 body there with no complaints at all.

If you've got a USVTA legal 4WD car, you only need to upgrade the motor, swap out the wheels and tires (and body since you don't like muscle cars, but USVTA bodies meet USGT requirements as is), lighten your car by 100g and you're ready to run.
+1 Nicely said Mike !
Old 12-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Evoracer
I'm sure we can appreciate your National pride but that really has nothing to do with the reality of it.
Trans Am "grew" into a more diverse class. The 70's gas crisis and influx of japanese imports had something to do with it.
Smaller displacement motors were allowed along with smaller cars as compared to the American "heavy iron" musclecars.
The emphasis of VTA has centered around the most prolific days of Trans Am.
From a purely realistic viewpoint, the Mazda would be more of a Mini chassis as compared to a standard 1/10 touring car chassis.
If I'm not mistaken, cars like the Porsche 911 ran during the heyday of trans am. There were also a handful of c2 and c3 corvettes that ran trans am in the late 60s early 70s eventhough these cars usually ran b production. There was even 1 pantera that ran half a season during 1971.

I'm not arguing that these cars should or should not be allowed but the rules as they are written clearly state PONY CAR. The Porsche, bmw, pantera, Mazda, Datsun, and corvette are not pony cars. The only other pony cars that would qualify that are not currently on the vta list are the 60s early 70s firebird and the 67-69 cougar. I imagine the only reason they are not on the list is because they aren't available.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by REPUFC3S
So then I suppose it comes down to semantics. I understand the idea behind VTA, but I'll be honest, I hate the look of the Camaro, Cuda, Challenger, and Mustang, they're boring. One of you said it, Trans Am "Grew" way back then, so why can't VTA "Grow" now? When we get down to brass tax, the chassis are all set up similarly, its all in driver ability, so what is the big deal with a body that actually follows the progression of actual Trans Am. If that's what we're going after, then progression is natural. The ABC RX3 body is a 190mm or 200mm body, so it would be the same size.
Because if we followed the progression of the actual trans am series no one would be racing it. Trans am racing began to die out in the mid 70s along with the can am series. Fuel costs, epa regulations, sanctioning rules etc. Remember back then so many production cars had to be built in order for the race car to run. By the end of 1974 pony cars were almost dead. Even the camaro firebird and mustang that survived lost their heritage of pavement pounding beasts that fought for the title of king. The javelin challenger and barracudas never made it through the fuel crunch. People who wanted to watch a Ford vs chevy battle turned to NASCAR.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Anybody like to see a little Trans Am info, here's a good site. Something to remember is that Trans Am was a class within the SCCA.
http://www.historictransam.com/Results.html
Old 12-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

What I dont get is SOOOOO many complain about the class and what they dont like about it and how it should change, but want to run it. If you dont like it dont run it plain and simple. Find a class you like and run that. Whats next, crying you cant run a nitro buggy with a Camaro body in USVTA? "But its awd" Makes about as much sense.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jermpool
Well said, I haven't been to my first race yet but have my car. From what i have read in the rules the only change I would like to see is a cheaper motor option. I bought mine used and it was already VTA legal but when I saw that the motor for the "affordable" racing class was 100 bucks, I had a bit of sticker shock. The biggest factor that drew me towards this class was the bodies and I can't wait for my first race.
It's strange but those of us who've been around for awhile remember a time not to long ago when brushed motors cost around 30-35 bucks. In order to keep them running at reasonable efficiency we needed to "cut" the commutator, replace brushes and constantly keep an eye on bushings or bearings. That required alot of extra costs and they still had finite lives. Brushless is WAY better in every respect but the initial purchase cost is higher. Add it up over just 1 season and I'll bet a brushless motor becomes much more cost efficient than any brushed motor we had. Most of us had 2 or 3 different motors that excelled in one department or another to fit various track types or surfaces. Thats 60-90 bucks worth of motors alone.
Welcome to VTA !! Hope you have a blast. You'll see that your hard earned dollar goes alot further these days. Thank goodness the "good old days" are gone.
Even though the Novak SS motor is discontinued, they are still making the 17.5 & 13.5 SS motors for DODC (Dirt Oval Dot Com) for spec oval racing (these motors can only be purchased from a shop running DODC dirt oval rules through DODC for $79.95, This class also requires a Spec 3200 mAh lipo battery made by SMC specifically for DODC and also only avaialble through DODC affiliated shops). Maybe Rob could interest Novak in continuing the 25.5 SS motor as a lower cost option. I know they are still selling refurb SS 25.5 motors on the Novak Website so that is an option.

EVO, remember comm drops, various break in concoctions, long break in procedures involving both Naphtha and distilled water dunkings of the motors, Trinity Bushing Buster or brasso mixed with Mobil 1, motor dynos, a myriad of brushes, spinning motor backwards during break in, and running one motor a heat along with at least 6 to 8 Sanyo Red cell packs just to run Stock class so you would try to make the motors last more than a month (we're talking late 80s/early 90s here). $100.00 for a brushless motor is cheap compared to that.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

Anybody like to see a little Trans Am info, here's a good site. Something to remember is that Trans Am was a class within the SCCA.
http://www.historictransam.com/Results.html
Awesome link. Taught me some things tonight. Interesting to see the classes develop from under over 2.0 liters to the 2.5

Looks like the corvettes and the pantera ran starting in the 1973 season. Arguable if 1973 qualifies an early 70s. I did find the tempest in (I think) the 1972 season interesting. I didn't know a tempest ran trans am. I would have to look again to be sure.

For our purposes I think early 70s would end at 1972.

At any rate I agree that the rules are fine as they are written. If they started changing them I think people would leave the class.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GP40X
Even though the Novak SS motor is discontinued, they are still making the 17.5 & 13.5 SS motors for DODC (Dirt Oval Dot Com) for spec oval racing (these motors can only be purchased from a shop running DODC dirt oval rules through DODC for $79.95, This class also requires a Spec 3200 mAh lipo battery made by SMC specifically for DODC and also only avaialble through DODC affiliated shops). Maybe Rob could interest Novak in continuing the 25.5 SS motor as a lower cost option. I know they are still selling refurb SS 25.5 motors on the Novak Website so that is an option.

EVO, remember comm drops, various break in concoctions, long break in procedures involving both Naphtha and distilled water dunkings of the motors, Trinity Bushing Buster or brasso mixed with Mobil 1, motor dynos, a myriad of brushes, spinning motor backwards during break in, and running one motor a heat along with at least 6 to 8 Sanyo Red cell packs just to run Stock class so you would try to make the motors last more than a month (we're talking late 80s/early 90s here). $100.00 for a brushless motor is cheap compared to that.

That whole scene seems mind boggling now doesn't it? If new drivers could have seen the crazy number of brushes that were made to tweak a motor they'd be dizzy. I wouldn't give up that knowledge for anything though. It's made life with BL so much easier since we were exposed to so much variation and distruction ! I smoked alot of Reedy MVP motors trying to get the most out of Big Jim's motor tuning book (Yes folks...there were books written just about maintaining,tweaking and tuning a brushed motor)
Now repeat after me .."Brushless is WAAAAY easier"
Hey Monkey..it never changes does it !? All we can do is try and edumacate em'
Old 12-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For those that like the datsun 510, 240Z, mazda, bmw 2002,etc....that would cover that base but in the meantime, VTA is a great program just the way it is.
As a suggestion, nothing is stopping you from running whatever vintage style body you want on a local level.
I would enjoy it if I had a group of guys that all had cupracers with the smaller displacement Trans Am bodies like the 240z and the Alfa Romeo. It would be a great thing to run while our VTA cars are cooling off. But thats just a pipe dream right now. I would be happy with a decent turnout for VTA.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

LESS TALK - MORE PAINT!!!!

I love looking at all the US VTA Paint jobs!! Let's see some more!
Old 12-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Tech Rookie

I waswondering if anyone knows of any company that makes vintage
lics. plate stickers
Old 12-24-2011, 07:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Pugsly,

Check out : http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...am-decals.html for all of my VTA decals.

If you don't see your state or year existing, I should be able to create it.

Thanks for looking.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am about to join the local VTA / Scale spec class. Been running novice. Got the paint done last night on the 68 camaro. I have never been around or owned this vintage camaro so I wasnt too sure on the paint or decal setup. I tried to go for a clean factory look. I need to buy replacment body posts to raise it up in the front. Current ones work good for mazda body.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't suppose some one could tell me how many posts I have to make before I can put pictures up on here from my photobucket account...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.