Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Chris,

Looks Good!
Old 12-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Thanks Guys

Carl decals worked out great

thanks
Old 12-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wish I could post pictures. Haven't made enough posts yet to allow me to post pictures.
I did a 68 camaro with the proline short course driver set and hand built roll cage.
Drivers helmet visor was left clear for the micro video recorder I'm going to put in it...
Old 12-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Tamiya PS-55 paint ???

Does anybody know where I can get some of the Tamiya PS-55 flat clear polycarbonate spray paint ???

I've been searching all over online and every place is out of stock.

Is there an alternative to use for making a flat black hood ???

Thanks
Old 12-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Flat Black

First paint the hood on the inside black, then mask off the outside and lightly mist the black over the hood. A couple of light coats will usually do the trick.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Tech Rookie

I use Testors Model Masters Flat Black Lacquer. You just need to make sure you get Model Masters Lacquer & not Enamel. Just mask off your hood, and paint it on the outside of the body (you can paint it on the inside too if you want, but I normally don't). It adheres well and does flex with the body. Unfortunatley, with painting it on the outside it is not very scratch resistant so be careful securing and removing your body pins. I use Testors Model Masters Lacquers almost exclusively on my VTA bodies as they have plenty of authentic automotive colors from the 60s-70s. Hope this helps. Good luck
Old 12-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Is there a reason why the ABC Mazda RX3 isn't allowed as a VTA accepted body? It was ran in the early 70's in Trans Am before it was condemned to IMSA only.

Just wondered.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by REPUFC3S
Is there a reason why the ABC Mazda RX3 isn't allowed as a VTA accepted body? It was ran in the early 70's in Trans Am before it was condemned to IMSA only.

Just wondered.
The class is called U.S. Trans Am.... not International Trans Am!!!
Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I'm sure we can appreciate your National pride but that really has nothing to do with the reality of it.
Trans Am "grew" into a more diverse class. The 70's gas crisis and influx of japanese imports had something to do with it.
Smaller displacement motors were allowed along with smaller cars as compared to the American "heavy iron" musclecars.
The emphasis of VTA has centered around the most prolific days of Trans Am.
From a purely realistic viewpoint, the Mazda would be more of a Mini chassis as compared to a standard 1/10 touring car chassis.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think we had the same conversation concerning the Alfa Romeo's and the BRE Datsun body shells. Also the split window Vette and the Pantera bodies, which would be fine in there. They would look good too, but they will not be on the legal list. The USVTA is going for a particular look.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Tech Rookie

So then I suppose it comes down to semantics. I understand the idea behind VTA, but I'll be honest, I hate the look of the Camaro, Cuda, Challenger, and Mustang, they're boring. One of you said it, Trans Am "Grew" way back then, so why can't VTA "Grow" now? When we get down to brass tax, the chassis are all set up similarly, its all in driver ability, so what is the big deal with a body that actually follows the progression of actual Trans Am. If that's what we're going after, then progression is natural. The ABC RX3 body is a 190mm or 200mm body, so it would be the same size.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Keep in mind that most people consider that growth as a bad thing.
The heyday and original intent of Trans Am was to showcase the American musclecars.
Once the smaller displacement euro and japanese imports got involved (as a "sub" class by the way) and the Musclecar era was ending, Trans Am became a different animal all together.
VTA is meant to showcase the original and most revered time in TA history.
Personally, if VTA ever decides to add on to the program, a mini chassis based sub category could be offered.
For those that like the datsun 510, 240Z, mazda, bmw 2002,etc....that would cover that base but in the meantime, VTA is a great program just the way it is.
As a suggestion, nothing is stopping you from running whatever vintage style body you want on a local level.
Keep in mind that bodies like the Mazda probably won't work well with the VTA offset tires/wheels. And NO, that rule shouldn't change just for the sake of a different body choice.
I'm in no way arguing with you but there's a right way and a wrong way to approach the issue.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mooby64
First paint the hood on the inside black, then mask off the outside and lightly mist the black over the hood. A couple of light coats will usually do the trick.
If you're painting a body that comes with a protective film on the outside it is even easier. After painting the inside of the body, use an exacto knife and cut out the section of the protective film that covers the hood. Be sure to remove it carefully so as not to lift the edges around the hood. Then use the same paint you'd use on the inside to paint the hood on the outside as these paints dry with a matte finish.

Have done this with a lot of bodies and it works great.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Keep in mind that most people consider that growth as a bad thing.
The heyday and original intent of Trans Am was to showcase the American musclecars.
Once the smaller displacement euro and japanese imports got involved (as a "sub" class by the way) and the Musclecar era was ending, Trans Am became a different animal all together.
VTA is meant to showcase the original and most revered time in TA history.
Personally, if VTA ever decides to add on to the program, a mini chassis based sub category could be offered.
For those that like the datsun 510, 240Z, mazda, bmw 2002,etc....that would cover that base but in the meantime, VTA is a great program just the way it is.
As a suggestion, nothing is stopping you from running whatever vintage style body you want on a local level.
Keep in mind that bodies like the Mazda probably won't work well with the VTA offset tires/wheels. And NO, that rule shouldn't change just for the sake of a different body choice.
I'm in no way arguing with you but there's a right way and a wrong way to approach the issue.

Well said, I haven't been to my first race yet but have my car. From what i have read in the rules the only change I would like to see is a cheaper motor option. I bought mine used and it was already VTA legal but when I saw that the motor for the "affordable" racing class was 100 bucks, I had a bit of sticker shock. The biggest factor that drew me towards this class was the bodies and I can't wait for my first race.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by REPUFC3S
So then I suppose it comes down to semantics. I understand the idea behind VTA, but I'll be honest, I hate the look of the Camaro, Cuda, Challenger, and Mustang, they're boring. One of you said it, Trans Am "Grew" way back then, so why can't VTA "Grow" now? When we get down to brass tax, the chassis are all set up similarly, its all in driver ability, so what is the big deal with a body that actually follows the progression of actual Trans Am. If that's what we're going after, then progression is natural. The ABC RX3 body is a 190mm or 200mm body, so it would be the same size.
In the RC world "growing" means switching classes. If you've "outgrown" USVTA, then the next class up would be USGT. It's only slightly faster (21.5 vs 25.5), rules are a little less restrictive and they welcome any realistic body. You can run you're RX3 body there with no complaints at all.

If you've got a USVTA legal 4WD car, you only need to upgrade the motor, swap out the wheels and tires (and body since you don't like muscle cars, but USVTA bodies meet USGT requirements as is), lighten your car by 100g and you're ready to run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.