R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-30-2009, 07:43 AM   #1021
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky8333 View Post
Sounds promising. How would I go about doing a matte clearcoat? Again, sorry, all I have done is spray can bodies in the past .
Could try some Krylon matte finish even. I know it's not made for polycarbonate, but it would actually be adhearing to paint, not plastic. If you have some old beater bodies around, I'd suggest trying different things with them. You could paint the outside of one and bash it a bit to see how it holds up for you. You could also take Jackster's idea and sand a bit on one that's painted the normal way. Just my thoughts (I am by no means an expert).
redmike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:04 PM   #1022
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Alright, well, I just picked up a VTA car in the last few days, and now I gotta get a body I like. Unfortunetly, I can't get a 1973 Camaro body, but I figure I can throw this paint down on the '68 Camaro body from HPI. The question I have is, how would I go for a flat green color, instead of the shiny body I would get if I painted the car on the inside? I was thinking paint it on the outside, but I figure that will chip/ scrape off easily. Next thought was sanding the outside (paiting the inside) of the body with some fine grit sandpaper to take the shine off the body. Let me know what people think. Also, here's a pic of possibly my favorite car of all time, Hot Rod Magazine's "F-Bomb", and the paint scheme I'm going for.

Cheers, Dan.

The Pegasus is definitely the closest thing you will find to your F bomb shell. I would make sure you mask the windows on the outside as well and instead of sanding I think I would just try using a fine steel wool to rough up the shell and then I would try some of the Custom Laquer system paints on the outside. I would expect that to get you pretty close to what you are looking for. If you paint it on the inside as you normally would, you will get a glossy shine.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #1023
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Here's my Pegasus '70 Mustang. I'm just waiting on decals, wheels and window trim.
Jackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:01 AM   #1024
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Alright, well, I just picked up a VTA car in the last few days, and now I gotta get a body I like. Unfortunetly, I can't get a 1973 Camaro body, but I figure I can throw this paint down on the '68 Camaro body from HPI. The question I have is, how would I go for a flat green color, instead of the shiny body I would get if I painted the car on the inside? I was thinking paint it on the outside, but I figure that will chip/ scrape off easily. Next thought was sanding the outside (paiting the inside) of the body with some fine grit sandpaper to take the shine off the body. Let me know what people think. Also, here's a pic of possibly my favorite car of all time, Hot Rod Magazine's "F-Bomb", and the paint scheme I'm going for.

Cheers, Dan.
Rustoleum's flat protective enamel bonds to lexan very well if sprayed thin, the problem will be that I've only seen it in white and black. You could possibly spray the white on the outside then a flat green enamel paint and hope for the best, I have seen a matte clear at the store, but haven't tried it yet. Paint on the outside will rub off eventually, but your body is going to crack and need to be replaced eventually too, so it's kinda a toss up
Old 08-31-2009, 09:42 AM   #1025
Tech Fanatic

Default ...

Quote:
Sounds promising. How would I go about doing a matte clearcoat? Again, sorry, all I have done is spray can bodies in the past .
Tamiya PS-55 Flat Clear (Lexan specific, made to complete one of they're Porsche GT3 kits, the real car is Flat Black and Gold etc...) sprayed on the outside of the body. Make sure you don't spray over areas that you do not want to be matte. If the body still has the clear overspray film on it then you can cut out the areas you want to spray with the Flat paint. If not just make the windows...etc.

andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:57 AM   #1026
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

I painted this Bolink Mustang with Flat Green Auto Primer from dupli-color. It works just fine and dont need to sand anything just spray it on the outside. It doesnt crack off or chip or anything....and its cheap for the size of the can compaired to other brands like Tamiya.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-p40-ta.jpg  
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:04 AM   #1027
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
I painted this Bolink Mustang with Flat Green Auto Primer from dupli-color. It works just fine and dont need to sand anything just spray it on the outside. It doesnt crack off or chip or anything....and its cheap for the size of the can compaired to other brands like Tamiya.

That actually is the look I was going for. I think I'll try it

Also, found that Parma SS body online, thought I wouldn't!
Rocky8333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:13 PM   #1028
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

they (duplicolor) also make a flexible bumper coating in about 5 different colors.
Jackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #1029
Tech Champion

Default CASHVILLE 24HR SCALE TRANS-AM ENDURO

here are some pics of the team cars from the enduro this past Saturday
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-p8292086.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-p8292087.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-p8292088.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-concourse_.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vtadsc_0008.jpg  

January 2017
Thunder RC Raceway
DARKSIDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #1030
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
here are some pics of the team cars from the enduro this past Saturday
is that Vette body VTA legal?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #1031
Tech Champion

NO ITS NOT LEGAL ON THE USVTA RULES...but we allow most vintage muscle car bodies.
January 2017
Thunder RC Raceway
DARKSIDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #1032
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
NO ITS NOT LEGAL ON THE USVTA RULES...but we allow most vintage muscle car bodies.
the way it should be
Old 09-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #1033
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
is that Vette body VTA legal?
Looks good though doesnt it. Well I think those black Vettes look awesome. No Im not asking for a rule change. I just like em thats all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
Tamiya PS-55 Flat Clear (Lexan specific, made to complete one of they're Porsche GT3 kits, the real car is Flat Black and Gold etc...) sprayed on the outside of the body. Make sure you don't spray over areas that you do not want to be matte. If the body still has the clear overspray film on it then you can cut out the areas you want to spray with the Flat paint. If not just make the windows...etc.

I see what you are getting at Andy. I saw an EVO on the groovydrift.com page and it was painted normal on the inside with a shade of green about like the F-bomb. Then it was sprayed on the outside with the Tamiya PS-55 Flat Clear and that does the trick. I definitely think thats the way to go for the matte paintjobs.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #1034
Tech Champion

I found a pic of that EVO with the matte finish like the F-Bomb.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 09-01-2009 at 09:53 PM.
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #1035
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I found a pic of that EVO with the matte finish like the F-Bomb.

So thats painted normal on the inside and matte only on the outside? Sounds easier than masking the outside!
Rocky8333 is offline   Reply With Quote