Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by G_Anders
The only thing I did not do with scuff up the body. What are you suppose to use?

I use a Scotch - Brite pad and scuff the parts that will not be clear or chrome
Old 01-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default ...

...I've actually never scuffed up the bodies when we paint our bodies and it works out fine. Just make sure each layer has dried, cured (I use a hair dryer).

Old 01-22-2009, 08:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Any updates on Pegasus body run dates. I'd like to get my hands on a mach racer.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default shoe goo

Shoe goo seems to pull the paint away from the body during impact. Is there a better way? Besides not hitting anything.
thanks,
Brian
Old 01-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by qbr racing
Shoe goo seems to pull the paint away from the body during impact. Is there a better way? Besides not hitting anything.
thanks,
Brian
Shoe goo (goop) typically reacts with my paint, but I live with it. I'd think the best thing to do would be to scuff the surface so the paint clings better like Dodgeboy advises. I'm going to try sealing the paint from the inside with clear coat on my next body to see if that stops the reaction with the goop. I've already tried a backing coat of silver, which didn't work and white, which seemed to work better. I goop up and drywall tape the front end before the body is ever damaged.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Shoe goo (goop) typically reacts with my paint, but I live with it. I'd think the best thing to do would be to scuff the surface so the paint clings better like Dodgeboy advises. I'm going to try sealing the paint from the inside with clear coat on my next body to see if that stops the reaction with the goop. I've already tried a backing coat of silver, which didn't work and white, which seemed to work better. I goop up and drywall tape the front end before the body is ever damaged.
I spray bombed my cuda with pactra silver and backed it with rustoleum flat black (it was some protective type paint), which I also used on the hood and rear wing, shoe goo did not react with that combo at all, a good thing too because it was the only stuff holding the front end together by the end of 6 rounds Do the newer hpi cudas have thicker lexan up front? the one I got was really flimsy. I have a parma camaro to paint up, it feels like a tank in comparison (kinda looks like one too).
Old 01-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I've posted this request on my local track thread also.

Need a small favor. My 6 year old son is going to run a VTA car with me, right now he's just practicing. I need a old body or 2 that you were getting ready to throw out that I could possible shoo goo up for him.

I offered to just get him a new body, but he doesn't want to destroy it- those with kids know how that is. So I'd be willing to pay shipping cheapest method if it didn't end up as much as a new body.

Please PM me if you have one or two. I'd really like to find someone with 2 junk bodies to save on shipping.

Thanks.

Sorry for posting it here, tried the donation thread, but I thought my chances would be better here.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TwoTone
I've posted this request on my local track thread also.

Need a small favor. My 6 year old son is going to run a VTA car with me, right now he's just practicing. I need a old body or 2 that you were getting ready to throw out that I could possible shoo goo up for him.

I offered to just get him a new body, but he doesn't want to destroy it- those with kids know how that is. So I'd be willing to pay shipping cheapest method if it didn't end up as much as a new body.

Please PM me if you have one or two. I'd really like to find someone with 2 junk bodies to save on shipping.

Thanks.

Sorry for posting it here, tried the donation thread, but I thought my chances would be better here.
I got an old Cuda body that I raced at the challenge you can have . The front end needs to be reinforce other than that is in decent shape

Old 01-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

sorry missed the PM part
Old 01-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by qbr racing
thanks,
Brian
For what its worth, I've been in the hobby for 6 years now, started using pactra spray cans, which is basically laquer. I noticed that shoe goo did soften it and sometimes during a hit the paint would come off the lexan where the shoe goo was. Then I got an airbrush and started using faskolor waterbased paints. I back them with krylon crystal clear, and have not had any paint come off, EVER with faskolor. I truly think faskolor sticks better than laquers. My son and I race, so these are not shelf queens. They take hits everytime we use them. NO paint has ever come off. We never scuff the inside of the bodies, just clean and paint. Faskolor is pretty impressive.
Larry.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Tech Initiate

This is a 1970 Nova, HPI Pro 4, Integy 27T V-10, OHP sticks, LRP esc. Quick research indicated only one Nova was ever raced in SCCA Trans Am. Back in 1970, Dan Spiegel drove it in two races, Road America and Watkins Glen.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-008.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-011.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-006.jpg  
Old 01-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tgardner41
This is a 1970 Nova, HPI Pro 4, Integy 27T V-10, OHP sticks, LRP esc. Quick research indicated only one Nova was ever raced in SCCA Trans Am. Back in 1970, Dan Spiegel drove it in two races, Road America and Watkins Glen.
Who makes the body? I think I would run one if it was in the rules.
Dave
Old 01-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by dragracer72nova
Who makes the body? I think I would run one if it was in the rules.
Dave
Bolink Part # BL2278 '70 Nova http://www.bolink.com/carbodies.html
Old 01-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

New Body

Old 01-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by dodgeboy
New Body
I need to get an air brush! and a vinyl cutter...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.