R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2008, 12:19 AM   #631
Super Moderator
 
Grizzbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sand Springs, OK
Posts: 2,957
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
FORD?
How did you do that to those wheels(the blue, I mean), did you just paint them?
__________________
Bob Seay
Tamiya TRF417, TA05v.2, TRF211XM, M-05ver.2R, XRAY X12
Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #632
Tech Adept
 
StoneMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 133
Default

Just finished my Camaro for the Novak Race, here are some pics:



StoneMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #633
Tech Champion
 
k_bojar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,917
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneMan View Post
Just finished my Camaro for the Novak Race, here are some pics:



looks very cool
__________________
Bodies By Bean | Team Belly
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:44 PM   #634
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 7,645
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzbob View Post
How did you do that to those wheels(the blue, I mean), did you just paint them?
I used Testors model paint...bought a small kit with 8 colors and thinner for $10...and I use it on everything for small detail...incl my driver....works great
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/RockStar Paint, LLC
THUNDER JAM IX Snowbirds Warm-up
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:43 AM   #635
Tech Adept
 
markf3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 104
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

ARRRGGGG!!!!,

I finished my first VTA body and I was pretty proud of it.. I've airbrushed a fair number of 1/12 and TC bodies, but opted to shoot Testors "Model Masters" lacquer (aerosol can) for the vintage colors..

Anyhow, Paragon tire sauce ate right through it!!! Completely removed the paint where the sauce got slung from the tires..

As a test, I tried some House of Kolor Lacquer, and it seems to have the same issue with the tire sauce.


Looking for help... What do I use as a backing that will protect the paint???
markf3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #636
Tech Adept
 
markf3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 104
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneMan View Post
Just finished my Camaro for the Novak Race, here are some pics:




That is very pretty..

Better hide it from yourself until the big race
markf3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:02 AM   #637
Tech Master
 
IndyRC_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,709
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

I've backed the Model Masters rattle can paint with the Pactra rattle can paint made for lexan bodies. The Pactra paints are fuel resistant and should help with problems from tire sauce being sprayed off the tires onto the body. I would suggest wiping down tires though since many traction compounds can eat through lexan (such as the clear windows).

If you are going to use the Model Masters paints (for color selection), take some extra time to prep your body. The paint doesn't seem to bond the same to lexan like the Pactra paint. It is also not as scratch resistant. I'm usually too lazy to scuff up the inside of my bodies before I paint them, so I'm not sure if that would help. I mainly just clean out the bodies with liquid dish soap.

Another thing to be aware of with the Model Masters paint is that it doesn't react well to Shoe Goo. If you apply Shoe Goo directly to the paint it will cause some discoloration. I'm not sure if a good backing of Pactra would help.

Overall I've been very happy with this paint as it has held up to the abuse I give it on the track. I have destroyed the front ends of my bodies before having any real issues with the paint job.
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #638
Tech Adept
 
markf3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 104
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the info..


Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
I've backed the Model Masters rattle can paint with the Pactra rattle can paint made for lexan bodies. The Pactra paints are fuel resistant and should help with problems from tire sauce being sprayed off the tires onto the body. I would suggest wiping down tires though since many traction compounds can eat through lexan (such as the clear windows).

If you are going to use the Model Masters paints (for color selection), take some extra time to prep your body. The paint doesn't seem to bond the same to lexan like the Pactra paint. It is also not as scratch resistant. I'm usually too lazy to scuff up the inside of my bodies before I paint them, so I'm not sure if that would help. I mainly just clean out the bodies with liquid dish soap.

Another thing to be aware of with the Model Masters paint is that it doesn't react well to Shoe Goo. If you apply Shoe Goo directly to the paint it will cause some discoloration. I'm not sure if a good backing of Pactra would help.

Overall I've been very happy with this paint as it has held up to the abuse I give it on the track. I have destroyed the front ends of my bodies before having any real issues with the paint job.
markf3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #639
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 645
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

What brand/color is anyone using for Mopar sublime green? What about the flat black hood, or are you just using gloss for that?

Thanks
lp3233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #640
Tech Adept
 
markf3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 104
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp3233 View Post
What about the flat black hood, or are you just using gloss for that?

Thanks
I've been meaning to ask similiar question... If you shoot Flat Black, isn't it glossy because of the shiny polycabonate?
markf3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #641
Tech Elite
 
SWTour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Coast...CALIF.
Posts: 2,808
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

INDY_RCRACER did a beautiful Cuda for me in green with the flat black hood. The hood was painted on the outside to make it flat...and it looks so cool...
__________________
Joe Myers
R/C Racing since 1985 ~ Santa Maria, CA (Central Coast)
2001-2012 - South-West Tour R/C Oval Series - R.I.P.
...will the SWT be revived? Time will tell, but we ARE returning to the VELODROME in 2016
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:30 AM   #642
Tech Elite
 
squarehead's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wheaton, Illinois
Posts: 4,210
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Default

Testors Model Master Lacquer System Limelight Green.

Paint the flat black on the outside of the body to keep it flat. Parma FasKolor, Krylon flat black or any lacquer flat black should work well.
__________________
Everything depends.
Nothing is always.
Everything is sometimes.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:32 AM   #643
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 645
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Would't it scratch easily though.
lp3233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:36 AM   #644
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 645
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

What did you back the green with so it would stay on the lexan and not get eaten by shoe-goo and tire compound?
lp3233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #645
Tech Adept
 
markf3x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 104
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp3233 View Post
What did you back the green with so it would stay on the lexan and not get eaten by shoe-goo and tire compound?
I just recently had some issues with paint getting eaten.

As someone else suggested earlier in this thread, back it with Pactra aerosol paint. Pactra seems to be very "fuel proof" (I did some testing).

ps- I also talked to the folks at House of Kolor for about 20 minutes and bottom line was they don't have anything that will protect the paintjob from fuel/shoogoo/tireSauce that won't crack when flexed.
markf3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vintage R/C Discussion/Pics/Selling/Wanted rcaddict Singapore R/C Racers 7289 11-23-2016 09:59 AM
Vintage Trans Am Scottrik Electric On-Road 47 02-24-2012 08:21 AM
Vintage Trans-Am TC hlpressley R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 5 10-23-2008 04:00 PM
Pics of Tony Neisinger's vintage RC12L paint jobs drbelleville Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography 8 07-12-2008 04:09 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:25 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0