Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Old 12-17-2015, 05:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trez83
@flyingm - I used Tamiya rattle cans. Not saying anything bad against the body. My cracks formed on the front fenders due to the distance between the front of the body and my bumper.

Your lexan is way stronger than some HPI bodies I've had in the past. Keep up the good work!

May I suggest an early 60's Cuda or Fury?
you should always add some foam to your bumper to help fill in the air gap to the body. help keep the wrinkle zone to a minimum
Old 12-17-2015, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I use fiberglass "wing joining tape" and hold it in place with E6000 or Shoe Goo. Squeegie it into place and at the top of the front wheel arches to help with durability.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flyingm
TREZ83- If you had a problem with the body cracking, it is probably due to the paint. We only use genuine "Lexan" material.

A word of caution to all....there are some questionable paints on the market today for spray cans, since the demise of the Pactra RC paint. Be very wary of the Duratrax paint. In any case, if the body seems brittle, you should find another brand of paint. Polycarbonate bodies should not crack or shatter unless the paint has attacked the plastic and made it brittle.
It is curious, the comment about the Duratrax paint. I used some on a body and the body shattered in some places.
F.Y.I.- I have painted over 6000 bodies in my career and have only had this happen when using Lacquer Thinner to remove paint from an old body. I might have to stick w/ Tamiya, Fascolor or Createx.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I Have to say... my COUGAR Body also broke in the corners of the front fenders, where my FIREBIRD is in good shape... However, I blamed this on this on the Superior Horsepower the FORD/Mercury produces over the Lackluster performance of the Pontiac's Power Supply..therefore it hit the wall MUCH Harder and FASTER w/ the Cougar body...
Old 12-17-2015, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Joe, that makes total sense....LOL

Another tip for body cracks....DON'T HIT STUFF!!! : )
Old 12-18-2015, 08:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I do things a bit differently than others. Everyone goes with the bright colors, so I use the classic black..... because everything looks better in black.

Here is my Cougar with it's REAL vinyl top:

[/URL]

Close Up:

Firebird:

And most recent - Boss:

Old 12-18-2015, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Those all look really good - and my FAVORITE Number.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:55 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

What I wouldn't give to have this available in a 1pc shell
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-javelin.jpg  
Old 12-19-2015, 10:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default '68 Camaro VTA

Nothing fancy, just a nice "semi-stock" color. Haven't stickered it up yet, can't decide which wheels look better, the black of matte chrome?
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vta.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vta2.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vta3.jpg  
Old 12-19-2015, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I run the black mate during qual's and the chrome in the main for podium pictures after the race.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Mustang Boss ready for the Spring Fling point series at Bush River Raceway starting on January 17. We need some diversity out there. Too many Camaro's on the track. Need to get some Blue Ovals out there too.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Mustang Boss ready for the Spring Fling point series at Bush River Raceway starting on January 17. We need some diversity out there. Too many Camaro's on the track. Need to get some Blue Ovals out there too.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Here is a quick picture I took of my most recent VTA body. I based the paint scheme off of the Bob Tullius #44 Jaguar XJS which won the 1978 SCCA Trans Am driver's championship.

Here is a link for more info about Bob Tullius (http://www.racingsportscars.com/driv...llius-USA.html)

McAllister #305 (1968 Cougar)
Love the paint scheme Indy RC Racer! Can't wait to see it on the track. I've got one of the new Cougar bodies from McAllister as well. Its cut and getting coats of liquid mask now.

I'm trying to decide on going with a true to life color scheme or a "might have existed" color scheme. Maybe a combination. Either way, Its a nice body and the Lexan seems a good thickness throughout. Knowing me, it will likely be ORANGE!

Some of the HPI bodies seem to be one thickness (68 Camaro) while others seem mucn thinner (69 Camaro). Maybe that's the way the mold pulls it? That's my assumption.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SWTour
Those all look really good - and my FAVORITE Number.
Thanks. I raced 1/12th scale back in the late 80's and was very successful with my Bolink Nissan GTP-X body #83. So I've stuck with that number for decades.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
Love the paint scheme Indy RC Racer! Can't wait to see it on the track. I've got one of the new Cougar bodies from McAllister as well. Its cut and getting coats of liquid mask now.

I'm trying to decide on going with a true to life color scheme or a "might have existed" color scheme. Maybe a combination. Either way, Its a nice body and the Lexan seems a good thickness throughout. Knowing me, it will likely be ORANGE!

Some of the HPI bodies seem to be one thickness (68 Camaro) while others seem mucn thinner (69 Camaro). Maybe that's the way the mold pulls it? That's my assumption.

The Cougar lexan is nice and thick - and very durable, if your bumper isn't an inch away from the nose. Hahaha.

I love my Cougar body. I'm the only one who races it. They call it the pimp body because of how low it sits and the vinyl top I put on it. It makes a great battering ram as well. Pushes slower cars out of the way with ease..... Hahaha

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.