Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I'm fighting that battle right now! My Chassis is 10 1/4" wheelbase, the body for the HPI 68 Camaro is exactly 10". I've got new rear control arms on order and am warming up the dremel just in case.
so If you can move it an 1/8 so you take some from the front and the rear . You may just need to redo the wheel wells a bit.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeboy
so If you can move it an 1/8 so you take some from the front and the rear . You may just need to redo the wheel wells a bit.
I'm hoping not to hog the wheel wells out too much though. The new control arms are supposed to put it right on the dot with no other mods. We'll see.

And thanks for the advice. Right now I have 2 sets of marks on the body for post holes. Set one is the chassis centered as it sits with no mods and some wheel well modification and set two with the front wheels centered waiting for control arms and shims to pull the rear end in and only gapping to the tires to worry about. I've got my fingers crossed for scenario 2.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Got this Camaro body as part of a VTA parts lot in the "For Sale" thread...it was new, but trimmed and painted yellow w/no decals. I think it finished out nicely. Basic, but cool. It's my "Bitchin' Camaro". (we'll see who is old here lol)

The black on the hood is on the outside and it's Tamiya Black (that's what I had on the shelf). It's glossier than the typical hood blackout, but it still looks good.

After I took this pic I came up with a little trick that everyone probably does. After I applied the side window decals I carefully cut around the edge of the "glass" with an x-acto knife and peeled that part off, leaving just the trim. Looked much better.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Got this Camaro body as part of a VTA parts lot in the "For Sale" thread...it was new, but trimmed and painted yellow w/no decals. I think it finished out nicely. Basic, but cool. It's my "Bitchin' Camaro". (we'll see who is old here lol)

The black on the hood is on the outside and it's Tamiya Black (that's what I had on the shelf). It's glossier than the typical hood blackout, but it still looks good.

After I took this pic I came up with a little trick that everyone probably does. After I applied the side window decals I carefully cut around the edge of the "glass" with an x-acto knife and peeled that part off, leaving just the trim. Looked much better.
My son is fond of the movie Transformers. His will be yellow with black racing stripes on the hood and trunk. Your's looks good!
Old 10-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

A "simple" VTA body always looks good, like the yellow Camaro above.

I usually cut out the side windows before applying them to the body. I do leave the small side rear seat window intact as it makes applying the decal a bit easier.

I'm sure this is nothing new, but either spray a little Windex on the body or on the adhesive side if the decal (or both) if I have a large or complex decal that I'm going to place. This allows me a chance to pick it up if I place it badly. On small decals (sponsor decals, door handles) I usually just peel and stick.

A normal hair dryer is good when applying the bumper decals or decals that go around a curved surface. I usually use the high setting for a few seconds. A warm/hot decal is easily distorted or stretched, so take some care when manipulating them.

The 2 most overlooked things when applying decals are;

#1 Patience
#2 Little mistakes are hard to notice from the driver stand!
Old 10-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (90%+)

here is my parma cudaU.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-p1040218.jpg

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-p1040213.jpg
Old 10-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

dude, did your parents drive it back from the Bahamas?
Old 10-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Nah -- the Bahamas are islands.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
My parents bought me a bitchin' Camaro, with no insurance to match.
They're good, fine Americans, Stuart, but they don't know what the $%#&!@ are doing to the soil.

There's no smilies with enough glee for that!

Last edited by BadSign; 10-09-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I won Concourse At MIMI's

Originally Posted by dodgeboy
new vintage for MIMI's this weekend

here is pic of the real one

Old 10-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Tech Addict

And rightfully so.....that was the best paint job out there in concourse...
Great job and Congrats....
Old 10-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would have to say that is the best looking body that I have seen from a parma shell.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I would have to say that is the best looking body that I have seen from a parma shell.
That's because it's a Pegasus Mustang. It IS impossible to make any Parma body look good.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
It IS impossible to make any Parma body look good.
Sad but true!
Old 10-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Why did I think it was Parma. Does Parma make one of that year model?

I dont think the Parma stuff is That bad. But I will admit that its more than a notch below HPI and Protoform. The parma Alfa TC shell is a nice one. I think all shells have come a long way since Bolink was in its prime with all their antique car shells. OK Im blabbing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.