R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #4486
Tech Addict
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 574
Default

Some proper pics of the Monster Trans-Am

Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dsc_0196.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dsc_0206.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dsc_0198.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dsc_0200.jpg  
__________________
2014 IFMAR Warm-Up Pics >>> www.rcactionpics.com <<<

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #4487
Tech Master
 
NutDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,944
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

That's bad@$$, Mopar!
__________________
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #4488
Tech Regular
 
SS LS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 360
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
Mine has held up well - several hits, including one head-on collision, no damage... Nose is glued and screwed. One item of note - the bumper I'm using supports the entire nose, which helps minimize damage on impact.

Handles more or less like everything else out there, IMO - but I prefer the Javelin .
Thank you and mjw for the fast replies, I appreciate your input as I'm currently running a Javelin that handles great on our rather large fast indoor carpet track. I have a new Protoform Firebird body ready to go but have been hesitant to stop running the Javelin. Here is the Javelin I ran last spring and currently running since this fall indoors. It it's still in pretty good shape with only some cracking around the nose piece screws.(will post pics of the new firebird body soon). Yes I always run LED head and taillights on my cars.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-2013-02-02_09-28-42_414.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-2013-02-02_09-29-51_404.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-2013-02-02_09-29-23_418.jpg  
__________________
Tamiya 417v7 Sedan, ___ Tamiya 417v7 USGT, ___ CEFEX EVO w/ 417 suspension VTA
Exotex TA06 Pro CS Drifting, ___ Tamiya 417v5 (sold)
AE SC10 4x4
AE SC10 AE B4.11
SS LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #4489
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Newton, NC
Posts: 289
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Is there a difference in handling with the different bodies?
__________________
B5M CE
T5M
Tekno SCT410.3
Kbmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #4490
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 2,147
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

short answer, absolutely

I've run, a Parma camaro, javelin, hpi cuda among others, and they all run differently. By far the body with the most steering I've run was the Javelin. I haven't run the Firebird yet, but have heard good things about that also.
__________________
SpeedMerchant Rev7
oceanhighz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #4491
Tech Regular
 
SS LS1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 360
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

My new NOS Energy Drink Protoform Firebird painted by my friend Damon of Diggity Designs (Diggity Paint). I gave him the NOS theme ideas and said run with it. All logos are done in paint. Only decals are things like the taillight and license plate areas.
Hope it runs as good as my Javelin body has been running.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_20140111_100448_088.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_20140111_100338_671.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_20140111_100223_874.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_20140111_100316_880.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_20140105_185543_356.jpg  

__________________
Tamiya 417v7 Sedan, ___ Tamiya 417v7 USGT, ___ CEFEX EVO w/ 417 suspension VTA
Exotex TA06 Pro CS Drifting, ___ Tamiya 417v5 (sold)
AE SC10 4x4
AE SC10 AE B4.11
SS LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #4492
Tech Master
 
IndyRC_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,709
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbmoss View Post
Is there a difference in handling with the different bodies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanhighz View Post
short answer, absolutely

I've run, a Parma camaro, javelin, hpi cuda among others, and they all run differently. By far the body with the most steering I've run was the Javelin. I haven't run the Firebird yet, but have heard good things about that also.
Long answer...

Yes all VTA bodies will have slightly different handling characteristics, but not so much that there is a "best" body.

Here are a few general statements.
- Many of the bodies are a 2-piece design
- Weight of the bodies vary
- Many bodies have a spoiler, but not all
- Detailing/decals/licensing vary between manufacturers, which directly affects the cost (HPI & Protoform have the most expensive VTA bodies)

I've been to several large indoor carpet VTA events over the past 12 months and good drivers are fast in VTA no matter what body they are using. The fast drivers are better able to tune their setup to the track conditions regardless of what chassis/body they are using. In fact you still see some of the top A-main drivers using the HPI '68 Camaro, which is one of the heaviest & most durable bodies out there.

Bottom line, pick a body that you like and have fun.
__________________
I'm currently racing VTA. Check here for rules/info: http://www.usvintagetransam.com/
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #4493
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Norcal
Posts: 20
Default

That thing is GORGEOUS!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS LS1 View Post
Thank you and mjw for the fast replies, I appreciate your input as I'm currently running a Javelin that handles great on our rather large fast indoor carpet track. I have a new Protoform Firebird body ready to go but have been hesitant to stop running the Javelin. Here is the Javelin I ran last spring and currently running since this fall indoors. It it's still in pretty good shape with only some cracking around the nose piece screws.(will post pics of the new firebird body soon). Yes I always run LED head and taillights on my cars.
luvthercs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #4494
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis give or take...
Posts: 659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
Long answer...

Yes all VTA bodies will have slightly different handling characteristics, but not so much that there is a "best" body.

Here are a few general statements.
- Many of the bodies are a 2-piece design
- Weight of the bodies vary
- Many bodies have a spoiler, but not all
- Detailing/decals/licensing vary between manufacturers, which directly affects the cost (HPI & Protoform have the most expensive VTA bodies)

I've been to several large indoor carpet VTA events over the past 12 months and good drivers are fast in VTA no matter what body they are using. The fast drivers are better able to tune their setup to the track conditions regardless of what chassis/body they are using. In fact you still see some of the top A-main drivers using the HPI '68 Camaro, which is one of the heaviest & most durable bodies out there.

Bottom line, pick a body that you like and have fun.
Blah, blah, blah...

What he says is true. But..., it is not lost on me that MOST of the of the super fast guys at the Southern Nationals were all driving Javelins.

The other fast guy had a prototype Protoform Firebird...

Makes you go hmmm...
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #4495
Tech Addict
 
alloyslash's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 538
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

That NOS scheme is one of the best paint jobs I've seen in a long time! Those colors/lines along with the carbon bringing it all together is just killer!
__________________
Pemberton SJ27 / Tekin RS / Cooper D4SS 17.5 / EAM 5000 / Futaba 9551 / 17.5lm
Pemberton SJ27 / Tekin RS / Bullet 13.5 / EAM 5000 / Savox 1251 / 13.5 Pro EDM

TLR22 / Tekin RS / D4SS 6.5 / Futaba 9551 / ORCA 6000 /SCMOD,
F14 carpet Oval Chassis too!
alloyslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #4496
Tech Master
 
IndyRC_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,709
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
Blah, blah, blah...

What he says is true. But..., it is not lost on me that MOST of the of the super fast guys at the Southern Nationals were all driving Javelins.

The other fast guy had a prototype Protoform Firebird...

Makes you go hmmm...
The super fast guys in VTA at the Southern Nationals are just good racers. They are always fast in every class they run. Without asking them specifically why they chose the Javelin, it could just be coincidence.

The reason the Protoform Firebird was being run was to show it off because it was new, not because it had a performance advantage. In fact the person who ran the Firebird in the mains was using a different body in qualifying and was fast with it (I think it may have been a Camaro).

I'm not suggesting that the Protoform VTA bodies don't perform well on the track. What I am saying is that you need to look under that body shell to find the real performance. For example, one of the super fast guys was running a Losi XXX-S at the Southern Nationals.

----------

The point I'm trying to make is that there isn't a "must have" body in VTA.
__________________
I'm currently racing VTA. Check here for rules/info: http://www.usvintagetransam.com/
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #4497
ASM
Tech Master
 
ASM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Palm Bay, FL
Posts: 1,193
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
For example, one of the super fast guys was running a Losi XXX-S at the Southern Nationals.

----------

The point I'm trying to make is that there isn't a "must have" body in VTA.
...and I believe he won too.

I only remember two, maybe three Javelin's in the A-main but I could be wrong. I will agree with IndyRC Racer, I don't believe there's a distinct advantage with one versus the other. Maybe a slight difference in "feel" but I'd say that's all. I use a 68 Camaro and to me it "feels" real good on corner entry but that's probably all in my mind.

I also race VTA on the Kissimmee track which is hosting the World's, and that's one LARGE track. I haven't noticed bodies making a distinct difference but the motor differences do become apparent.
__________________
Scott Meeks

2016 ROAR Region 4 VTA Champion
USVTA Member #116
ASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #4498
Tech Champion
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,043
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

There were also McAllister firebirds at the Southern Nationals. Well I know that there was at least one. If you are not watching the subtleties, you will confuse it for the Protoform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
Blah, blah, blah...

What he says is true. But..., it is not lost on me that MOST of the of the super fast guys at the Southern Nationals were all driving Javelins.

The other fast guy had a prototype Protoform Firebird...

Makes you go hmmm...
Dale Epp uses pixie dust and piranha juice in the manufacturing of those shells. That's the edge.
__________________
www.battlefieldraceway.com Racing videos at http://www.youtube.com/snoopyrc

Last edited by snoopyrc; 01-15-2014 at 04:18 PM.
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #4499
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 7,652
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

EA ran the HPI Camaro in quals and set TQ...then went to the PF Bird for the mains...

Ive run the Jav Camaro and Mustang back to back and was just as fast with with all three...the only body Ive ever noticed a speed advantage was the Cuda cut and slammed on the 250ft sweeper and straight at BTH in Memphis a few years back...at the time it was the lightest and 21.5 4.2FDR was the rule....

don't fuss about bodies...they all work very well and perform to most liking....

have fun
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/RockStar Paint, LLC
THUNDER JAM IX Snowbirds Warm-up
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #4500
Tech Champion
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: In a land of mini-mighty mental giants
Posts: 8,754
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM View Post
...and I believe he won too.

I only remember two, maybe three Javelin's in the A-main but I could be wrong. I will agree with IndyRC Racer, I don't believe there's a distinct advantage with one versus the other. Maybe a slight difference in "feel" but I'd say that's all. I use a 68 Camaro and to me it "feels" real good on corner entry but that's probably all in my mind.

I also race VTA on the Kissimmee track which is hosting the World's, and that's one LARGE track. I haven't noticed bodies making a distinct difference but the motor differences do become apparent.
I didnt win the Southern Nats with the XXX-S I won the actual USVTA Nationals with it....I ended up 4th after all the crazyness settled at the Southern Nats.

I think you are right there was only 3 J71's in the Amain at the Southern Nats.

Rob King...Winner of the Southern Nats used a J71
Mike Jones and myself both raced the Javelin in the A-main

I have tried just about every body out there there isnt any advantage over the next. Yes each does feel different but it doesnt equate to any faster lap times. Its mainly the looks and how well it holds up. I personally like the Pegasus Mustang and the Javelin. Both hold up well and last for a while. The HPI bodies are nice but they all get damaged rather quickly IMO.
__________________
2013 USVTA World Champion of the World
MOTIV RC presents the Midwest All-Star Carpet Series....14th year running 2016/17!!!
USVTA National Championship....check it out!!!
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vintage R/C Discussion/Pics/Selling/Wanted rcaddict Singapore R/C Racers 7289 11-23-2016 09:59 AM
Vintage Trans Am Scottrik Electric On-Road 47 02-24-2012 08:21 AM
Vintage Trans-Am TC hlpressley R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 5 10-23-2008 04:00 PM
Pics of Tony Neisinger's vintage RC12L paint jobs drbelleville Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography 8 07-12-2008 04:09 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:22 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0