R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #4471
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I saw this body in person and really like it. It reminds of a 60's/70's bowling alley - in a good way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com View Post
This is a PROTOForm J71 that I airbrushed for a local racer this week in his colors. He'll add finishing touches. Looking forward to seeing it on the track! The J71 is a very light body. Comes with an extra nose in case you didn't know that. That's a nice touch.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #4472
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
nice...I would take some rear toe out
Ran 2.5 rear toe @ 2013 birds and now know it was too much, this year will be able to get down to 0 toe on my TC4

The birds for the 2014 Snowbirds, all paint. The blue one should be in the A, green will be seen in the B or C or ...

Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dsc_0189.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dsc_0255.jpg  

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #4473
Tech Master

That matched pair is really sweet Mopar. You should get a discount on your race fees for promoting the class!

Here's one I finished last night. Its the PROTOForm 1971 Trans Am. First one of these I've airbrushed. Nice body. It looked cool just in clear! As you can tell the racer I did it for wanted his ham radio operator call sign on it too. Are we allowed to have TWO hobbies? Gad! He wanted it dark red. All the graphics were cut with liquid mask. Just a few decals on the front (grill) and back (lights).

Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-transamprotoformdarkred15r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-transamprotoformdarkred16r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-transamprotoformdarkred18r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-transamprotoformdarkred19r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-transamprotoformdarkred17r.jpg  

USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #4474
Tech Addict

Dang it Scott, if you're not going to post them, I will.

Here's one IndyHobbies just finished up for me. I won't let him post pics of the shell only. Has to be complete with stickers and tires...

As you can tell, I always do BRIGHT colors that I can see.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #4475
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

That is the 1st Protoform Firebird paint scheme that I really like (Indyhobbies.com)

I also like the Yellow Camaro paint scheme, especially since I get to trade paint with it on our local track.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:25 AM   #4476
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

any body else having a hard time getting HPI VTA bodies...I live in Quebec and none is available as of today....only the Protoform Firebird is in stock,its nice but Im a FORD Fan...
Danny
flag72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #4477
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flag72 View Post
any body else having a hard time getting HPI VTA bodies...I live in Quebec and none is available as of today....only the Protoform Firebird is in stock,its nice but Im a FORD Fan...
Danny

I recently got one from avf in London ont
Canuck5902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #4478
ASM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
Ran 2.5 rear toe @ 2013 birds and now know it was too much, this year will be able to get down to 0 toe on my TC4

The birds for the 2014 Snowbirds, all paint. The blue one should be in the A, green will be seen in the B or C or ...

Greg, both cars were VERY fast on Saturday. You certainly did your homework and it showed on the track. I did check my gearing....we're identical. Keep that ratio under wraps...lol. Sorry I didn't make Sunday, woke up with the flu/cold and just drove home....slowly.

2016 ROAR Region 4 VTA Champion
USVTA Member #116
ASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:53 PM   #4479
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
That is the 1st Protoform Firebird paint scheme that I really like (Indyhobbies.com)
Ouch. That hurt my heart.
This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it- Psalms 118:24

World Champion Turn Marshall
BadSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #4480
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM View Post
Greg, both cars were VERY fast on Saturday. You certainly did your homework and it showed on the track. I did check my gearing....we're identical. Keep that ratio under wraps...lol. Sorry I didn't make Sunday, woke up with the flu/cold and just drove home....slowly.
Hope ur feeling better, Dave told me you were feeling sick and went home
You missed some great racing on sunday, but we will be racing soon again

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:06 PM   #4481
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flag72 View Post
Danny
Took me 3 weeks but I just got in 2 firebirds, 2 67/68 camaros, 2 Javelins. Now Im a painting fool for these and a couple 17.5 rubber tired TC's
freebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #4482
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

hey Freebird
if Im lucky I should have a VTA bodie in by friday,my TC 6.1 is almost done its taking a lot of time to get it right as Im an oval racer and pan cars are simpler....but Im enjoying playing with all this (to me NEW) stuff...
should have it on the track by february 8th...

Danny
flag72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:38 AM   #4483
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Protoform Firebird

Since it's been out awhile now..... Just wondering how everyone's Protoform Firebird body is holding up? Is your nose piece glued, screwed or both to the body?

How do they handle on the track compared to other bodies you have used?
AE SC10 AE B4.11
SS LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #4484
mjw
Tech Adept

I'm still on my first body. I've been running my Protoform Trans Am since the end of September. The nose is only screwed on and I have a split on the right side from repeated hits on that corner that flattened it and eventually cracking it where it creased. The split is only on the upper corner along the headlight area. It doesn't go all the way down and isn't bad enough not to run the body anymore. I have a Javelin with only 2 race days on it that's sitting as a backup, but I'm still running the Trans Am. The only screw that's pulled through is the one I put at the bottom of the right side very low. We run 21.5 motors in the class here and the cars are carrying decent speed when hitting hard steel corners.

I found it to work really well. My only other body I've run with this chassis is the Javelin. I like the Trans Am better. The Javelin (which use to be my body of choice) feels less stable in the rear of the car when run back to back with the Trans Am.
mjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #4485
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS LS1 View Post
Since it's been out awhile now..... Just wondering how everyone's Protoform Firebird body is holding up? Is your nose piece glued, screwed or both to the body?

How do they handle on the track compared to other bodies you have used?
Mine has held up well - several hits, including one head-on collision, no damage... Nose is glued and screwed. One item of note - the bumper I'm using supports the entire nose, which helps minimize damage on impact.

Handles more or less like everything else out there, IMO - but I prefer the Javelin .