R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #2866
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to M-chassisMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
As a fan of the J71 shell, I say it looks great. I think it's good that you kept close to the original scheme but put a twist on it. The OG r/w/b scheme is awesome but has been done way too many times over at this point. So good work on that one.
Good point, thanks!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #2867
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Even though ROAR did not follow the 5000mah battery rule (which, to tell you the truth, I didn't even notice), I ran a 5000 Thunder Power pack at the Nats. I didn't have any issues with run time or power, other than perhaps the fact that I really didn't have a whole lot of time to figure out the 25.5 motors. Some of those cars were just flat-out FAST!

Is this the thread to keep an eye out for future big VTA races? Such a fun class I may actually take a jaunt back East to give it a go.
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
TPhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #2868
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPhalen View Post
... Is this the thread to keep an eye out for future big VTA races? Such a fun class I may actually take a jaunt back East to give it a go.
Tony, this thread is primarily used for talking about VTA paint jobs and posting pics of VTA cars. If you want to keep track of upcoming VTA events nationwide then U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 is the thread you want to keep your eye on. The person who keeps track of nationwide VTA events is DARKSIDE.
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #2869
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post
Tony, this thread is primarily used for talking about VTA paint jobs and posting pics of VTA cars. If you want to keep track of upcoming VTA events nationwide then U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 is the thread you want to keep your eye on. The person who keeps track of nationwide VTA events is DARKSIDE.
Ah, thus the 'PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!' designation. My bad, sorry. I'll move on over to the other thread.
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
TPhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #2870
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com View Post
...I hate those #!!#i dimples on the top of all the HPI Camaro bodies. Can't that be fixed on the mold master? (Photo #3) Sheesh! I KNOW those dimples aren't there to locate the body posts! ]
Actually those dimples ARE there to locate body posts on HPI cars. I've owned an HPI Sport, HPI Pro 2, and HPI Pro 3, and the dimples line up perfectly with the body posts on those cars. I would assume they also line up with the Sprint/Sprint2 and all other HPI 1/10 touring cars.

I've noticed several other dimples on the HPI cars. I've noticed some small dimples along the center line of many bodies. Usually they are located where the windows meet the hood/trunk/roof. These can be useful when masking stripes on the HPI Camaro. I also use them when putting on the front/rear window paint mask. I fold the mask in half (to find the center of the mask), place the crease of the mask at the center of the window, and place on the window(s). On some other HPI, I've also notice some dimples or creases that would help mount decals on the sides or hoods.

I usually use the dimples on the hood/trunk to help locate body holes for my non-HPI brand cars AFTER I paint the body. I can measure the distance from the dimples (using a small ruler) to make sure I'm centered side to side. A word of caution, don't assume the dimples are perfectly centered. Make sure to measure twice before making the hole for your body.

Check out this post showing how I masked stripes on an HPI '68 camaro. (http://www.rctech.net/forum/8630088-post1781.html)

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 03-27-2012 at 12:23 PM.
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #2871
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
Actually those dimples ARE there to locate body posts on HPI cars. I've owned an HPI Sport, HPI Pro 2, and HPI Pro 3, and the dimples line up perfectly with the body posts on those cars. I would assume they also line up with the Sprint/Sprint2 and all other HPI 1/10 touring cars.

I've noticed several other dimples on the HPI cars. I've noticed some small dimples along the center line of many bodies. Usually they are located where the windows meet the hood/trunk/roof. These can be useful when masking stripes on the HPI Camaro. I also use them when putting on the front/rear window paint mask. I fold the mask in half (to find the center of the mask), place the crease of the mask at the center, and place on the window(s). On some other HPI, I've also notice some dimples or creases that would help mount decals on the sides or hoods.

I usually use the dimples on the hood/trunk to help locate body holes for my non-HPI brand cars AFTER I paint the body. I can measure the distance from the dimples (using a small ruler) to make sure I'm centered side to side. A word of caution, don't assume the dimples are perfectly centered. Make sure to measure twice before making the hole for your body.

I will look through some of my photos I posted to show an example on an HPI '68 camaro.
The really oddly placed dimples are there to mark the center of the nitro cooling/intake/exhaust circles that you need to cut for HPI nitro cars.

It is really nice when you are running HPI chassis to not have to think about cutting post holes since they are marked for you.

3 3Racing Sakura Zeros: Mustang Boss VTA // Lexus LFA USGT // MazdaSpeed 6 TC
Mini M03 & M05
Life is better with a soundtrack
FauxMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #2872
Tech Regular

Quote:
Obviously the dimples are intended only for HPI chassis'. On every OTHER chassis however, they look like sh!te. And I would be willing to bet a vast majority of those bodies are going on non-HPI chassis cars.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #2873
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
Obviously the dimples are intended only for HPI chassis'. On every OTHER chassis however, they look like sh!te. And I would be willing to bet a vast majority of those bodies are going on non-HPI chassis cars.
Actually if you looked at HPI's worldwide sales records you would see that 81% the HPI bodies sold are mounted on HPI cars like the Sprint 2. Another 14% of the HPI bodies sold are mounted on Hot Bodies TCX and Cyclone cars. The remaining 5% are mounted on other (non-HPI) chassis cars. It would be very difficult (if not impossible) to convince HPI to remove their body post dimples from the master mold of each of their car bodies. Specially when the HPI body is still considered the highest quality and most detailed RC Car body on the market.
wwddww34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #2874
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxMako View Post
The really oddly placed dimples are there to mark the center of the nitro cooling/intake/exhaust circles that you need to cut for HPI nitro cars. It is really nice when you are running HPI chassis to not have to think about cutting post holes since they are marked for you.
Quote:
I usually use the dimples on the hood/trunk to help locate body holes for my non-HPI brand cars AFTER I paint the body. I can measure the distance from the dimples (using a small ruler) to make sure I'm centered side to side. A word of caution, don't assume the dimples are perfectly centered. Make sure to measure twice before making the hole for your body. Check out this post showing how I masked stripes on an HPI '68 camaro. (http://www.rctech.net/forum/8630088-post1781.html)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
Well thanks FauxMako...now I understand. I never considered that they were there on purpose on the roof since their location seemed random. Obviously, they are not random. Yes, I understood why the ones on the rear deck and front hood are there for actual body posts, virtually all R/C car bodies have that feature.

I'm surprised to find out that the vast majority of their bodies are not used on VTA cars. But heck, I guess maybe the universe does NOT revolve around us VTA types afterall.

HPI should do what's good for HPI and their products. For now, my brain will be much happier knowing that the roof dimples have a reason for being. I can now return to a Zen like state...

USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #2875
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwddww34 View Post

Looks like Tony had a little bit of a fender bender - I'm surprise his pit crew didn't bang out that dent before the mains
Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #2876
Tech Master

Don't you HATE that! The perfect body...then WHAM, the un-perfect body.

Quote:
Check out this post showing how I masked stripes on an HPI '68 camaro. (http://www.rctech.net/forum/8630088-post1781.html)
These radius corners were hard. I've got plenty of circle templates, but in the end, I just had to free hand them as best I could. That was the hard part.

The stripes on my HPI 68 Camaro that I'm currently running are Monokote trim strips. Front spoiler and rockers too. I was in a hurry to get a new body done, and figured that, the way I was driving, it wouldn't be perfect for very long anyway. But, those Monokote stripes have held up very well!

USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #2877
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxMako View Post
It is really nice when you are running HPI chassis to not have to think about cutting post holes since they are marked for you.
I have never run an HPI chassis, but I have run so many HPI shells that I often think about getting a chassis just so I can enjoy the divit marks.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #2878
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com View Post
I'm surprised to find out that the vast majority of their bodies are not used on VTA cars. But heck, I guess maybe the universe does NOT revolve around us VTA types afterall.
What! Shut your mouth. Are you kidding me?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #2879
Tech Champion

Sorry it double posted.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #2880
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)