Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ruger1
I've been out of racing for 6 or 7 years, a few months ago i decided to get back in to it. I found this thread and VTA looked fairly inexpensive and FUN, when everyone wants to keep changing the rules to allow more items, the spec is gone and so is the FUN factor, and so is the class. The same thing happened to 1/10 off road in the 90's. SC has brought 1/10 off road back, I was reading some of thr SC stock threads last night and the same thing is happening, let's have bigger motors, let's have boost, let's do away with stock because it's almost as fast as Mod anyway. If it ain't broke don't screw it up! No one mentioned it was FUN, when the FUN is gone we might as well put the cars back on the shelves, until someone decides to start a class for FUN. There won't be any new faces and all the great people you met racing will slowly disappear. Time to get off the soap box. Thanks for listening
v
Did you mean to post this in the regular VTA thread?

The other thing I would like to mention is that the VTA rules have been Solid since September 2010 and racers are happy and we are having the best racing ever in this class. The Spec is far from gone and the fun is every where. If you are thinking about bailing out or if you were interested and now you think you are not, I dont think thats a good move. Now it could be that you have seen a bit of the discussion about the ROAR VTA race at Mikes in Texas, which is bound to a more industry neutral position than the Official USVTA is, but dont let that confuse you about the Official Rule set which has been quite stable for over a year.

Alright back to the paint.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 01-05-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by speedsterblade
I thought I'd start a PIC thread for all the cool TA paint.

Please limit comments and stay on topic, pics & paint. Links to paint ideals, real TA racing sites ok.

POST'EM UP Fellas! or repost if you had posted in the other TA thread.

ENJOY! the Vintage paint.

NEW! The unofficial, Official USTVA Pace Car!

My TC4, 68 HPI Camaro. Sorry for my poor quality pics but all I got at this time. I'm ready to paint another one!

HUMMMM...well "WE" started...lol
Old 01-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sorry about that, i thought I had switched threads. I'm all in as it stands, now body manufacturers, let's see a 70' Camaro and a 68'/69' Firebird!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SWTour
LESS TALK - MORE PAINT!!!!

I love looking at all the US VTA Paint jobs!! Let's see some more!
I've not posted this picture before I don't think. This is my current VTA body. Clean and simple. It has a set of tires with white wheels now. Didn't think I would like the white but I picked up the set (freebie!) from a racer going to off-road.

The down side is that the black wall rub shows up quick on the white body! The wall and I like each other a lot. I try to clean it up after each race with a little naptha.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

I finally got my 69 Camaro body. After some experimenting I have come to the conclusion that I need to buy an airbrush to acheive the color I am going for. After being out of work for 2 weeks for the holidays and buying my TC5, it may be a month or 2 before I can get the airbrush and get it painted.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jermpool
I finally got my 69 Camaro body. After some experimenting I have come to the conclusion that I need to buy an airbrush to acheive the color I am going for. After being out of work for 2 weeks for the holidays and buying my TC5, it may be a month or 2 before I can get the airbrush and get it painted.
Here's a HOT tip! Several times a year, Hobby Lobby offers a 40% off coupon on their website. There is one there NOW:

http://www.hobbylobby.com/assets/dyn...2_1_coupon.gif

I used this exact coupon to purchase a new Paashe airbrush, the dual action type with 3 different size needles and orifices! Bargain! I mean, 40% is almost 1/2 price! (see how smart I am? )

If you see this post after the coupon expires, check their website from time to time. Seems like they put them up there every other month. Maybe its quarterly.

Hopefully you have a Hobby Lobby near you. They also normally stock Createx paints.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
Here's a HOT tip! Several times a year, Hobby Lobby offers a 40% off coupon on their website. There is one there NOW:

http://www.hobbylobby.com/assets/dyn...2_1_coupon.gif

I used this exact coupon to purchase a new Paashe airbrush, the dual action type with 3 different size needles and orifices! Bargain! I mean, 40% is almost 1/2 price! (see how smart I am? )

If you see this post after the coupon expires, check their website from time to time. Seems like they put them up there every other month. Maybe its quarterly.

Hopefully you have a Hobby Lobby near you. They also normally stock Createx paints.

Oh yes, I know all about this. I use it when I want a static model. Also if you have a smart phone, you can pull it up on your phone and show it to the cashier so you don't even have to print it off. I get their email every week ,they run this coupon a lot.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Tech Initiate

What color are you trying to get? I have been painting for years and might be able to shed some light on how to get the color you want. I use an airbrush and the old school pactra paints, but often need to mix colors to get "the look" ...
Old 01-06-2012, 02:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

It's garnet, I was trying to get it the same color as my camaro that I had when I was younger. I got real close by using rattle cans but not quite there. I think I am just going with a candy red on this one and try for the garnet on the next one.
Here is a truck that is the same color.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Oh yes, I know all about this. I use it when I want a static model. Also if you have a smart phone, you can pull it up on your phone and show it to the cashier so you don't even have to print it off. I get their email every week ,they run this coupon a lot.
That's a cool way to do it. Don't have to worry about forgetting it!

I like to build plastic models too, but man, the cost of them has really gone up! I don't know if its because of having to pay royalties for logos these days or what, but the high prices have to have hurt sales for that side of model hobbies.

Here's another VTA body I painted a while ago. I liked how it turned out. Simple and clean. But, the Colts and #18, Peyton Manning, have not had a good year here in Indianapolis. So, its not got quite the "cool factor" I was hoping for anymore.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:44 AM
Tech Initiate

It's garnet, I was trying to get it the same color as my camaro that I had when I was younger. I got real close by using rattle cans but not quite there. I think I am just going with a candy red on this one and try for the garnet on the next one.
Here is a truck that is the same color.
If you look at the 68 camaro that I did a page or so back, it is very close to the same color you are looking for. I used a rattle can of Tamiya transparent red and then backed it with 1 coat of silver metal flake 2 light coats of pactra racing red(until I got the desired color depth/darkness) and then finished with a coat of pactra silver. Go really light on the racing red! When you think it needs 1 more coat to get it dark enough stop and back it with silver! The silver will darken it up more... Hope this helps you!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Also, when using rattle cans, I always warm them up using a bucket of HOT water. By warming up the can it allows for more pressure which makes the paint come out in a finer spray. Just be sure to dry the can off good before you spray....
Old 01-07-2012, 07:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com

If you sign up for the news letter, you get a coupon every week.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

That could have went better, Real hard to mask the front end, had some horrible bleeding on the spoiler and hood, as I was removing masking from hood cracked the body underneath front bumper.

Not finished with assembly or decals but this is what I settled on, candy red backed with silver, pearl white stripes, will get better photo when finished. Yes I need to clean my workbench, and yes that is Deadpool sitting there watching me.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Tech Addict

Dang, there are some GREAT looking VTA's in this thread! Here is my Challenger. I am a fan of grayscale so my race cars are generally pretty lacking in color but hopefully designed in good taste. I decided not to utilize the included chrome and blackout decals this time around so all of that stuff I went ahead and painted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.