R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #1996
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
I was thinking it was with one of the cars that they went drag racing. Would have been a 65/66 Cuda ...... may have to do some research in the Man Room!!!
VIR July 1966 .......... The N.C. Region and VIR are in the heart of NASCAR land, and after all, these sedans are miniature stockers, right? So, why not invite some of the NASCAR "hot shoes" to our little stock car race on a sports car road course? (Ho, ho) "Be sure your little friends keep out of the way." (Snicker) So it was that Dave Pearson, NASCAR points leader; "old pro" Curtis Turner; national folk hero, Richard Petty; and NASCAR's only Negro driver, Wendell Scott showed up at VIR Sunday morning to see what it was all about-shifting gears at the right time, mostly.
Pete Feistman waded around to put the Norburn/Feistman Mustang on the pole with a 2:37.2. Allan Moffat completed the first row with a 2:40.2 in the Lotus Cortina to give you some idea of how it was. Times ranged all the way down to 3:23.4 for the 36 entries.
Sunday morning dawned clear, by George, and the NASCAR drivers went out to find their way around the track (surprise). Everyone made it except for Dave Pearson, who assassinated Brock Yate's Dart at Station 3. It was only a foretaste of things to come.
The flag dropped at 11:43 a.m. and Feistman, with Petty and Yeager up from the
second row, started off on the greatest 5 hour 18 minute 36 second sprint race ever seen. Petty was running in 2nd until lap 5, when he went in the boonies at Station 3. He finally dug out of the mud in 21st place, romped back to 10th in 5 laps, but splashed back into the weeds at Station 3 on the 13th lap, and that was it for the Barracuda. Meanwhile, Feistman had turned the first lap with a 2:38 from the standing start and pulled out a 4 second lead on the rest of the pack. Dick Thompson moved his Mustang into third behind the Johnson/Yeager Mustang, then handed over to Wendell Scott, who made it around to Station 3-since renamed NASCAR Bend-before breaking the front suspension while trying to negotiate a ditch.
The under 2-liter chaps were having a ball too, but with eleven GTAs against four Cortinas, the end result was easily predicted. Moffat went out of contention when he wiped out the phone pole at Station 10 in the uphill chicanes, and another Cortina did a head stand at the same spot. The GardnerAttwood Cortina did the best, actually leading the race for three laps because of pit stops.
The Mustang was running like a train and it looked like a shoo-in. On lap 73, however, the whole complexion of the race changed. Norburn brought the Mustang in with the temp. on the peg and much time was lost trying to add coolant. (You can lead a horse to water, but . . . ) Bob Johnson took over the lead with time in hand, but Feistman came charging back. Pit stops became the story and the Johnson crew was just a shade faster. Feistman wouldn't admit defeat and at the end of the race had worked to within 9 seconds of Johnson in an effort that had the troops standing on their heads.
So at the end of 124 laps, or 400.52 miles, the racing was just as close as it had been at the start. Tom Yeager and Bob Johnson parlayed experience into a well deserved victory to become the Trans-Am Over 2-liter point leaders, while Horst Kweck and Gus Andrey did the same in Under 2 with a 3rd overall, three laps behind. Oh yes, the best NASCAR showing was by Curtis Turner, who shared some of the load with Peter Lake, overcoming flat tires, minor prangs, and a seven cylinder engine, to finish a solid last place among the walking wounded.
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #1997
Tech Elite

Default Petty's Cuda

Here is a photo from the same race
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vir66pettybarracudagaragearea-vi.jpg  
Old 03-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #1998
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Smile

A video, if one exists, would be priceless!!!!!!
THEBIGBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #1999
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

ALSO, re: Petty in Trans Am, in the 1969 season the round at Lime Rock conflicted with the Indianapolis 500 (remember when Indy was on Monday? And that's the day Lime Rock HAS to race since local ordinances prohibit racing on Sunday) Richard Petty and Cale Yarborough were tentatively slated to drive Mustangs (this was, if memory serves, the year Petty drove Torinos in NASCAR) to replace Jones and Revson who were committed to Indy. Bill France put the kibosh on the deal until the last minute but it was too late by then to put it together. So Petty WOULD have driven a second Trans Am.

I'm guessing Mr. Mark referred to the Friedman "Trans Am" book. As I entered the Man Cave--North Annex I dug into a book I don't think even the Man Cave--South Annex has...Al Bochroch's EXCELLENT 1986 (published by, of course, Motorbook, Int'l) book on the series. I paid a quite a bit for this copy from T.E. Warth's 15 years or so ago when it was only 10 years old. Go ahead and try to find one now, Markie Mark...you KNOW you have to

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #2000
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default come to Nashvile Sunday Sunday Sunday

Ok VTA guys...the Vintage Trans-am Thunder 1000 Enduro is this Sunday.

place: Thunder RC Raceway in Nashville,TN
track: 95x50 carpet
teams: 10-13 on par to attend
rules: FULL USVTA
rewards: over $500 in cash,prizes,trophies
sponsors:AE,Boca,HPI,Novak,Hobby Lobby,KRC,USVTA,TRC

this is going to be one of the best VTA races around, dont miss out on this event.

we have ppl coming from different states to attend this event.

THIS IS THE ONE YOU DONT WANT TO MISS!!!!!

contact me at 615-851-1876 or 615-593-0536 or by pm or email, if you would like to attend this great event

thank you so much for the support

Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #2001
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
I'm guessing Mr. Mark referred to the Friedman "Trans Am" book. As I entered the Man Cave--North Annex I dug into a book I don't think even the Man Cave--South Annex has...Al Bochroch's EXCELLENT 1986 (published by, of course, Motorbook, Int'l) book on the series. I paid a quite a bit for this copy from T.E. Warth's 15 years or so ago when it was only 10 years old. Go ahead and try to find one now, Markie Mark...you KNOW you have to
Yes you were correct on the book in the man room, and I now have a new "Quest" so RC Racing is not as important!!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #2002
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

i know at least one more guy that's gonna have a J71 for the nats

aside from I had to order it directly from Protoform and not get it thru my local shop PF was nice enuff to put markings on the body to show you where you need to run the bead of shoe-goo (2nd pic)

the molding lines are nice - shows you exactly where the stripes on the hood and roof need to be run
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_1398.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_1399.jpg  
Old 03-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #2003
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
i know at least one more guy that's gonna have a J71 for the nats

aside from I had to order it directly from Protoform and not get it thru my local shop PF was nice enuff to put markings on the body to show you where you need to run the bead of shoe-goo (2nd pic)

the molding lines are nice - shows you exactly where the stripes on the hood and roof need to be run
Nice, protoform is doing a good job with the bodies.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #2004
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post

Are you talking about the body painting lines?
Lynn

Tamiya Super Clod Buster, Blackfoot Extreme, HPI Sprint2 Sport (My boy's)
CobraRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #2005
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey M
Default 69 Camaro

This should look good going around the track.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dscn6842.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dscn6843.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dscn6846.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dscn6844.jpg  
Mikey M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #2006
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey M View Post
That looks really nice! Good work!

"If God had meant for us to drive through the front wheels, he never would have allowed us to invent the ring & pinion"
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #2007
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey M View Post
NICE work !!
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #2008
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraRman View Post
Are you talking about the body painting lines?
Lynn
if you paint the the j71 like the sunoco javelin, there are 'lines' in the body to show up the areas that should be painted the different colors...

its kinda hard to explain, but if you wanted the blue 'tail' on the roof (which would be white), there are lines that you'd paint inside of...if that makes any kind of sense
Old 03-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #2009
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey M
Default Another 70 Camaro

I dragged this out of the closet and decided it needed a better look than clear!
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dscn6863.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dscn6865.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dscn6861.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-_wcn1811.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-_wcn0268.jpg  

Mikey M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #2010
Tech Fanatic

Default ....

andyh is offline   Reply With Quote