R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #1966
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
Indyhobbies, I have some Goodyear decals for 1/10 scale tires. I will throw them in my pit box if you plan on racing at R/Car in Indy this Sunday.

Another detailing option that you can do with the HPI Vintage tires is to paint the raised letters on the wheels with a paint pen (I used an acrylic paint pen from Testors). If you have a steady hand you can dab/lightly touch the raised lettering with the paint pen. The best part is if you make a mistake you can scratch the paint off with a toothpick or straight pin/safety pin.

If I get motivated today, I will post a picture of a tire with painted HPI raised letters. However, I believe somewhere in this thread someone has already posted the same results.
We plan on coming again Sunday, yes.

The tires you did look great! I know they are mostly just for pictures. Probably rub off pretty soon, but, taking a nice photo of scale looking car is a fun thing to do.

I have a paint pen in white and yellow. So, I will give it a try. I have a steady hand, except after cup of coffee #4.

Those blue wheels would look great on my first VTA body. This is back before it had hit the wall 300 times.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-scottsvtacamaro.jpg  
USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #1967
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Nice bodies, wish this class would pick up in CT. Question is, how are the guys with the Chevy bodies ever finishing the race??? Good thing that the rc car does not lower itself in quality following the body.
DuckStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #1968
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckStang View Post
Nice bodies, wish this class would pick up in CT. Question is, how are the guys with the Chevy bodies ever finishing the race??? Good thing that the rc car does not lower itself in quality following the body.
someone alwayyssssss has to start it.
Anyway, a pic from back in the day:

Rocky8333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #1969
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dodgeboy Send a message via Yahoo to dodgeboy

some neat old Trans Am racing videos (old Film)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=110smVxDJe0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPW1Zoy-e-8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn0OOSQPXT8
dodgeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #1970
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky8333 View Post
someone alwayyssssss has to start it.
Anyway, a pic from back in the day:

Oh yeah, how are the front air dams on these cars hold up??? Like the dam on the cuda body especially.
DuckStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #1971
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Oh yeah, how are the front air dams on these cars hold up??? Like the dam on the cuda body especially.
The Cuda Front Air Dam is really weak. I reinforced the whole front end with shoe glue and Fiber Wall repair Tape. Some of the plastic is gone but the Shoo Goo is still there with the paint
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #1972
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
The Chassis is looking up from the inside so I just put a Toyota sticker under the hood or roof facing the chassis. That helps durability a lot.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #1973
Tech Rookie

Default Butternut Yellow

Here is my attempt to reproduce the 1969 GM paint color Butternut Yellow. I mixed FASKOLOR yellow and white to get in the ball park. Then the trick was to add a trace of purple.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vta35.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-gm_1969_chevrolet_ppg_c_01.jpg  
Old 03-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #1974
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
That being the case you wont be able to get the only legal wheels and tires available to fit under the wheel wells, even if you choose to run fronts all the way around.

Is this what you mean by hanging over the wheels too far? Sorry this example is not VTA spec, but the point is that HPI Wheels are made to go with HPI shells and they are 210mm in the rear on most 190mm touring chassis. Its a formula that was made that way from the get go.
I see what you mean about the wider width at the rear. The Matrixline body won't work with the HPI rear wheels.

Still, the HPI VTA bodies are 10mm too wide for standard 190mm electric cars. The HPI vintage bodies are made to fit their Nitro RS4 3, which is 200mm wide. About 1/3 of HPI's touring car body lineup is available both 190mm and 200mm. Presumably these are the ones HPI expected to be most popular. The Vintage Trans Am series seems pretty popular to me.

If anyone besides me would like to see HPI make the vintage bodies available 190mm, send them an e-mail. The only way I see how to do this is via their customer service form.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #1975
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecor View Post
I see what you mean about the wider width at the rear. The Matrixline body won't work with the HPI rear wheels.

Still, the HPI VTA bodies are 10mm too wide for standard 190mm electric cars. The HPI vintage bodies are made to fit their Nitro RS4 3, which is 200mm wide. About 1/3 of HPI's touring car body lineup is available both 190mm and 200mm. Presumably these are the ones HPI expected to be most popular. The Vintage Trans Am series seems pretty popular to me.

If anyone besides me would like to see HPI make the vintage bodies available 190mm, send them an e-mail. The only way I see how to do this is via their customer service form.
Actually they're not TOO wide. They're designed to work with the offset wheels. A 190mm body would not allow for that...especially in back with 6 degree offset and 31mm width tires. At best, you might be able to use the front wheels/tires on all 4 corners. On some chassis, even the wheel offset may not be enough to get the right look but that can be changed by using spacers or offset hubs.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #1976
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

The HPI offset vintage wheels are required for VTA rules, which means you MUST use the 0° fronts and 6° rears and a 200mm body. Making these bodies in 190mm probably isn't going to happen. If you look at the list of bodies HPI is making and selling, most are now only available in 200mm because they work on both electric and nitro chassis.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #1977
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

In my opinion, there is really very little need for HPI to make 190mm "VTA" bodies. Let me clarify.

Many individuals who have R/C vehicles are into scale appearance and never race the car.
- If those individuals don't like the wheel gap on the 200mm bodies, they can easily use different offset wheels (available from HPI) to better fill the gap.
- In the case of wheels that don't have different offset options (such as the HPI Vintage wheels), they can use spacers and/or different thickness hex adapters to achieve the desired wheel gap. (Losi sells adapaters that work with TC3/4 & XXXs - http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSA9686).
- Another option is to purchase a chassis like the HPI E10 which comes with different thickness hex adapters (Note: the E10 is a drift/basher chassis but would be the perfect platform for a shelf queen).

Something that I've learned from talking with a scale r/c enthusiast is to think outside the box. Many parts from different makes/models of r/c kits are interchangeable, even if you might need to slightly modify a plastic part to fit. A good example is that you can use Losi XXX-S hubs & steering knuckles on a TC3. You might also find that you can use different stub axles on your car to alter the width of your car, since the current generation of belt-drive are very similar.

As was suggested above, I would recommend contacting an r/c body manufacturer if you want a specific body produced. Unfortunately larger companies may move slowly in producing a desired product. However, Protoform did listen to VTA racers and has produced a new body for us. You might also contact companies that do 3d proto-typing of parts and see if it is possible for them to produce a one-off body. This route would probably be too cost prohibitive for most individuals. It is even possible to make your own vacuum forming machine and make your own body shell.

In the end, have fun. Post pics of your results (good or bad). And please share your experiences with everyone so we call all learn how to make our next paint scheme a little better.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #1978
Tech Elite

I'm kinda curious how stevecor got on this issue ? his initial reference definitely had to do with touring car bodies and was understandable. We all know most 24mm racing wheels look lost on a 200mm body. Even after saying he understood about the wide tire/wheel width, he still suggested we push for 190mm bodies.
Clue us in stevecor.....somehow I think you're misunderstanding something here. Maybe we can help.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #1979
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The question of body width was in response to a Mustang body produce by Matrixline RC. Here is a link to their website (http://matrixline-rcmodel.com/rc.asp...ies&rcb=1/10th R/C Touring Bodies)

The 66 Mustang on their website is 190mm wide (http://matrixline-rcmodel.com/view.asp?id=31), and would unfortunately be too narrow for the HPI vintage wheels.

According to their website, Matrixline is a China based company. If you check out their FAQ link on their website, they list the ability to make custom bodies. However, they require a MOQ or Minimum Order Quantity (yes, I had to look up what MOQ meant )

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 03-09-2011 at 01:29 PM.
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #1980
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecor View Post

Thanks Indy. I got all that but judging from this post he's still confused. Why would he still be looking for a 190mm vintage body ??