Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #1786
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dodgeboy Send a message via Yahoo to dodgeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post

As to more advanced painting like chrome bumpers/trim, hopefully Dodgeboy will respond and let us know some of his tricks/tips.

OK if you look at the front of the car and see the chrome. I mask off the whole front of the grill and bumper section with tape ,paint the body and then come back and unmask the front end , then mask the grill off and paint the whole front chrome and back it with black . then come back with mesh and paint the grill black then pull it and paint more chrome .

as for the rest of the grill and surround it is painted on the outside I just trim off the protective film and paint it flat black . That covers the chrome up that you dont want to see.

as for the headlights I just cut out four circles out of vinyl and put them on the front and back , then paint them what ever color I want.

now that we have the new Camaro , Mustang and a couple other cars coming out ,wait and see what I will be painting this year . I have old books and have been looking on line for more vintage TA pictures and have found a lot this past winter . Lots of cool paint jobs
dodgeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #1787
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks for the tips/photo Dodgeboy. What kind of mesh are you using on the front grill.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #1788
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to dodgeboy Send a message via Yahoo to dodgeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
Thanks for the tips/photo Dodgeboy. What kind of mesh are you using on the front grill.
It's from SPECIAL SHAPES " Diamond Etched Mesh" they have a couple different sizes
dodgeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #1789
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Firebird

I wanted to start racing Trans Am class, but wanted a little different body. I used a 68 Camaro and made a Firebird.

A-man1234[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-trans-am-003.jpg  
a-man1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #1790
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

69' Camaro

I hope to keep it in one piece for the VTA Nats.

I used Parma's Faspearl Green with a back up of black to get that true 70's green. Custom made vinyl black body stripe and numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-gedc2088.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-gedc2091.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-gedc2092.jpg  
--- USVTA National Points Series Member #122 ---

customracingstickers@gmail.com - http://www.rctech.net/forum/painting-designs-graphics-photography/279695-usvta-trans-am-decals.html
CSeils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #1791
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Nice job Carl !!
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #1792
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

anyone see any pics/word on the new protoform body that was supposed to be out today?? !?!?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #1793
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
anyone see any pics/word on the new protoform body that was supposed to be out today?? !?!?
I was expecting to see something in Lexan by the end of this week, but I haven't heard from Dale recently. I'll do some more digging in the AM...
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #1794
Tech Fanatic

Was just on Protoforms' site and nothing new; no VTA body!

This happens a lot with guys from Protoform or HPI posting on these threads that they have a new body to be shown "very soon" or even by a specified date, which comes and goes with nothing to show!

I wish they would wait till they actually have the body to show before they tease us with these premature posts
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #1795
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Thumbs up

I have seen the mold, I know what the body looks like. When Protoform says that it is going to be ready "very soon," it isn't hot air. You won't be disappointed and you won't regret the wait.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #1796
Tech Addict

Default PROTOform VTA Body

PROTOform press release:

J71 #1526

After receiving many requests, Protoform is proud to release it's rendition of the 1971 Trans Am Championship winning car. The addition of the "J71" to the VTA scene will surely add new excitement and drama to an already diverse class of racing.

The "J71" features all the unique styling cues of the original car as well as is a molded in rear spoiler. The front of the car features an add-on nose with air dam. When mounted with shoo goo and 2mm screws it becomes an integral part of the body. Because this area of a racebody is the most prone to racing wear and tear, a second nose is supplied with the body. This configuration allows for molding a lightweight, durable .030 lexan body, which in turn aids the handling ability of any VTA chassis.

The "J71" body is 200mm wide at the front and 210mm across the rear wheel openings. The "J71" body comes with a protective coating, decal sheet, window masks, and the extra lexan nose piece with mounting screws.

The VTA class has already proven that it's loved by all. The Protoform "J71" will hopefully make it even more colorful!
Attached Thumbnails
Attached Thumbnails
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-1526.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-1526_top.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-1526_rear1.jpg  
daleepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #1797
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Spectacular!

I'll take 2.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #1798
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleepp View Post
PROTOform press release:

J71 #1526

After receiving many requests, Protoform is proud to release it's rendition of the 1971 Trans Am Championship winning car. The addition of the "J71" to the VTA scene will surely add new excitement and drama to an already diverse class of racing.

The "J71" features all the unique styling cues of the original car as well as is a molded in rear spoiler. The front of the car features an add-on nose with air dam. When mounted with shoo goo and 2mm screws it becomes an integral part of the body. Because this area of a racebody is the most prone to racing wear and tear, a second nose is supplied with the body. This configuration allows for molding a lightweight, durable .030 lexan body, which in turn aids the handling ability of any VTA chassis.

The "J71" body is 200mm wide at the front and 210mm across the rear wheel openings. The "J71" body comes with a protective coating, decal sheet, window masks, and the extra lexan nose piece with mounting screws.

The VTA class has already proven that it's loved by all. The Protoform "J71" will hopefully make it even more colorful!
Attached Thumbnails
Awesome! Best of all.....no stupid stick on parts!!!!!!

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #1799
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Awesome! Best of all.....no stupid stick on parts!!!!!!
The nose of this body is multiple pieces, like the tails are on the HPI cars. If they are mounted correctly, they will NEVER come off.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #1800
Tech Master

I am diggin that, actually made the Jav look good. Great job, will be great for something different out on the track.

R10 USGT, TRF416 USGT, DB10R, TA05R VTA, R40, RS4 3SS, RS4 super, Savage, Hellfire.

Youthful enthusiasm only rules until old age and common sense exert themselves
JCarr is offline   Reply With Quote