Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by raffaelli
My understanding of Createx/Faskolor/AutoAir is that they are all the same, except that Faskolor has a flex agent in it to prevent cracking. I have used all three for a long time, I have not found any difference except that Createx is available at craft stores.
I have found that Createx works just as well as Faskolor, is cheaper, has a different variety of colors to choose from, AND... it comes in large economy size bottles, for those of us that paint a lot.

I have paint couple hundred bodies a year over the past 20+ years and I don't want to even think of the thousands of small cans of spray paint I have gone through in that time.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by squarehead
I'm surprised you aren't spraying a lot of cobwebs and dust onto the body.
In warmer weather with certain colors, thats exactly what happens, but I was just tolerating it. I would stop and let it dry, then clean the webs out and go for the next coat. Actually I think that happens the worst with the pactra from a bottle. It webs really bad. Again differrent colors differrent characteristics.

I spray at whatever pressures it takes to keep it from spattering. Straight createx I end up around 45 psi instead of the 18-22 that I like to spray at.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mooby64
I have found that Createx works just as well as Faskolor, is cheaper, has a different variety of colors to choose from, AND... it comes in large economy size bottles, for those of us that paint a lot.
+1 and if you go to a larger art supply and not just a Hobby Lobby you can find a much larger array of colors. You will never find Pearl Pinapple at Hob Lob, but you might find it at Pearl, Binders, or DickBlick. I know that you can order it from Dixie art supply. Hobby Lobbys out number real hobby shops like eight to one around here. More than that if you add Michaels. At least they make it convenient to get paint and CA glue. Just remember that when you are looking at the Createx rack in the Hob Lob and thinking to yourself," That doesnt look like many colors!" Well its not, but about a third of what Createx makes. if even that.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Matrixline Mustang body

Matrixline RC Model has a 190mm 1966 Mustang body that looks ideal for VTA, just Google the text below:

Matrixline PC201017C Mustang GT Clear body

Unfortunately, they do not currently have a sales channel to the USA and the cost of shipping from China is a bit steep for just one or two items. I'm thinking a bulk order would reduce the per item cost. If anyone wants one of these bodies, chime in.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Tech Champion

The shell itself looks too much like the HPI for me personally to be interested in one. I would just buy the HPI. However that light bucket set for the shell is awesome. For that I would be down.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Tech Rookie

The interesting thing about the Matrixline Mustang is that it is 190mm wide, whereas the HPI VTA bodies are all 200mm. We've all been looking at the HPI bodies on our EP cars for so long, we've forgotten that they don't look right hanging out over the wheels too far. Racing a realistic period-correct car is what makes VTA fun. If you're like me, you spend a lot of time getting your body to look just right. It looks like the Matrixline Mustang is the way to get the width just right.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-pc201017a.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-pc201017b.jpg  
Old 03-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

That being the case you wont be able to get the only legal wheels and tires available to fit under the wheel wells, even if you choose to run fronts all the way around.

Is this what you mean by hanging over the wheels too far? Sorry this example is not VTA spec, but the point is that HPI Wheels are made to go with HPI shells and they are 210mm in the rear on most 190mm touring chassis. Its a formula that was made that way from the get go.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 03-08-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Default HPI Z28 Camaro 1969

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
I bought one of the new Z28 Camaro bodies. Can decide whether to try to match the orange they had that year, or just go black. This photo makes me want to go black too!

If I go orange, anyone been able to get a decent Faskolor orange? The standard one is blah. Maybe hit it with a little yellow and neon orange to brighten it?
Well, I ended up going completely different on the color choice. Faskolor's Key Lime is such a great color and looks great on the track racing too. So, I went with that on the new Z28 Body. I really like the way it turned out. I wanted black stripes at first, but the white ones they include are growing on me. I can always pull them off and make my own black ones. Final photo is next to a std. HPI Camaro for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-camaroz28green-001r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-camaroz28green-002r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-camaroz28green-003r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-camaroz28green-004r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-camaroz28green-006r.jpg  

Old 03-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Default HPI Corvette Stingray 1967

YES, I KNOW ITS NOT USVTA LEGAL!!!!

But, its still a great body and really well done. I can't imagine that any race director isn't going to let you run this Corvette on a club level. I know that we are allowed to at my home track. Nice thick lexan on this one too. What a design the 67 Vette was!

I painted in the window frames on this one instead of using the stickers.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-corvette1967-006r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-corvette1967-008.jpg  

Last edited by IndyHobbies.com; 03-08-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Indy,

Looks familiar

If your curious. Here's the same color with black stripes.

Got to love that green though.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-gedc2088.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-gedc2091.jpg  
Old 03-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CSeils
Indy,

Looks familiar

If your curious. Here's the same color with black stripes.

Got to love that green though.
I'd say, they both look great! How did you get the "GOODYEAR" on your tires...a reeeeealllly tiny brush and a lot of patience?

If I run mine, I think I'll run it with the white wheels from HPI to compliment the white stripes. I painted my bumpers from the inside to be sure they survived racing.

Its interesting the difference in the shade of green (assuming you used Faskolor Key Lime) between the too. Looks like you eventually backed yours with black and I only backcoated mine in white to keep it brighter.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-camaroz28green-008r.jpg  

Last edited by IndyHobbies.com; 03-08-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Monster Camaro

Here is my trans am body.. Goes onto my TA-05.. Metallic black and fourescent green.. with some metallic green on the bottom.. Monster energy stickers from the local motorcycle dealer.. Was thinking for my next to go with the Blue monster energy..
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-camaro.jpg  
Old 03-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Indyhobbies, I have some Goodyear decals for 1/10 scale tires. I will throw them in my pit box if you plan on racing at R/Car in Indy this Sunday.

Autographics and Parma made adhesive decals for r/c tires. I've never tried them on the VTA tires. I used to use them on foam tires. If you glued them on, the would last longer. Inevitably they would rub off during racing, but they looked waiting for the start of the race.

Here is a link on Parma's website for Firestone 1/10 tire decals: (http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...er=10741/137.0)

Another detailing option that you can do with the HPI Vintage tires is to paint the raised letters on the wheels with a paint pen (I used an acrylic paint pen from Testors). If you have a steady hand you can dab/lightly touch the raised lettering with the paint pen. The best part is if you make a mistake you can scratch the paint off with a toothpick or straight pin/safety pin.

If I get motivated today, I will post a picture of a tire with painted HPI raised letters. However, I believe somewhere in this thread someone has already posted the same results.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

mine got lost in the shuffle, here it is again for the camaro page...

Last edited by hotrodchevy14; 10-09-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Tech Champion

here are mine...some are..lol
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-411.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-100_2619.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dscf2539.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-usvta-nationals-2009-028.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-usvta-nationals-2009-016.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.