Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Some proper pics of the Monster Trans-Am

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dsc_0196.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dsc_0206.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dsc_0198.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dsc_0200.jpg  
Old 01-15-2014, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

That's bad@$$, Mopar!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
Mine has held up well - several hits, including one head-on collision, no damage... Nose is glued and screwed. One item of note - the bumper I'm using supports the entire nose, which helps minimize damage on impact.

Handles more or less like everything else out there, IMO - but I prefer the Javelin .
Thank you and mjw for the fast replies, I appreciate your input as I'm currently running a Javelin that handles great on our rather large fast indoor carpet track. I have a new Protoform Firebird body ready to go but have been hesitant to stop running the Javelin. Here is the Javelin I ran last spring and currently running since this fall indoors. It it's still in pretty good shape with only some cracking around the nose piece screws.(will post pics of the new firebird body soon). Yes I always run LED head and taillights on my cars.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-2013-02-02_09-28-42_414.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-2013-02-02_09-29-51_404.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-2013-02-02_09-29-23_418.jpg  
Old 01-15-2014, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Is there a difference in handling with the different bodies?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

short answer, absolutely

I've run, a Parma camaro, javelin, hpi cuda among others, and they all run differently. By far the body with the most steering I've run was the Javelin. I haven't run the Firebird yet, but have heard good things about that also.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

My new NOS Energy Drink Protoform Firebird painted by my friend Damon of Diggity Designs (Diggity Paint). I gave him the NOS theme ideas and said run with it. All logos are done in paint. Only decals are things like the taillight and license plate areas.
Hope it runs as good as my Javelin body has been running.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_20140111_100448_088.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_20140111_100338_671.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_20140111_100223_874.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_20140111_100316_880.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_20140105_185543_356.jpg  

Old 01-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kbmoss
Is there a difference in handling with the different bodies?
Originally Posted by oceanhighz
short answer, absolutely

I've run, a Parma camaro, javelin, hpi cuda among others, and they all run differently. By far the body with the most steering I've run was the Javelin. I haven't run the Firebird yet, but have heard good things about that also.
Long answer...

Yes all VTA bodies will have slightly different handling characteristics, but not so much that there is a "best" body.

Here are a few general statements.
- Many of the bodies are a 2-piece design
- Weight of the bodies vary
- Many bodies have a spoiler, but not all
- Detailing/decals/licensing vary between manufacturers, which directly affects the cost (HPI & Protoform have the most expensive VTA bodies)

I've been to several large indoor carpet VTA events over the past 12 months and good drivers are fast in VTA no matter what body they are using. The fast drivers are better able to tune their setup to the track conditions regardless of what chassis/body they are using. In fact you still see some of the top A-main drivers using the HPI '68 Camaro, which is one of the heaviest & most durable bodies out there.

Bottom line, pick a body that you like and have fun.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:29 AM
Tech Initiate

That thing is GORGEOUS!!!
Originally Posted by SS LS1
Thank you and mjw for the fast replies, I appreciate your input as I'm currently running a Javelin that handles great on our rather large fast indoor carpet track. I have a new Protoform Firebird body ready to go but have been hesitant to stop running the Javelin. Here is the Javelin I ran last spring and currently running since this fall indoors. It it's still in pretty good shape with only some cracking around the nose piece screws.(will post pics of the new firebird body soon). Yes I always run LED head and taillights on my cars.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:49 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Long answer...

Yes all VTA bodies will have slightly different handling characteristics, but not so much that there is a "best" body.

Here are a few general statements.
- Many of the bodies are a 2-piece design
- Weight of the bodies vary
- Many bodies have a spoiler, but not all
- Detailing/decals/licensing vary between manufacturers, which directly affects the cost (HPI & Protoform have the most expensive VTA bodies)

I've been to several large indoor carpet VTA events over the past 12 months and good drivers are fast in VTA no matter what body they are using. The fast drivers are better able to tune their setup to the track conditions regardless of what chassis/body they are using. In fact you still see some of the top A-main drivers using the HPI '68 Camaro, which is one of the heaviest & most durable bodies out there.

Bottom line, pick a body that you like and have fun.
Blah, blah, blah...

What he says is true. But..., it is not lost on me that MOST of the of the super fast guys at the Southern Nationals were all driving Javelins.

The other fast guy had a prototype Protoform Firebird...

Makes you go hmmm...
Old 01-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

That NOS scheme is one of the best paint jobs I've seen in a long time! Those colors/lines along with the carbon bringing it all together is just killer!
Old 01-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by .crispy
Blah, blah, blah...

What he says is true. But..., it is not lost on me that MOST of the of the super fast guys at the Southern Nationals were all driving Javelins.

Makes you go hmmm...
The super fast guys in VTA at the Southern Nationals are just good racers. They are always fast in every class they run. Without asking them specifically why they chose the Javelin, it could just be coincidence.

The reason the Protoform Firebird was being run was to show it off because it was new, not because it had a performance advantage. In fact the person who ran the Firebird in the mains was using a different body in qualifying and was fast with it (I think it may have been a Camaro).

I'm not suggesting that the Protoform VTA bodies don't perform well on the track. What I am saying is that you need to look under that body shell to find the real performance. For example, one of the super fast guys was running a Losi XXX-S at the Southern Nationals.

----------

The point I'm trying to make is that there isn't a "must have" body in VTA.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:29 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
For example, one of the super fast guys was running a Losi XXX-S at the Southern Nationals.

----------

The point I'm trying to make is that there isn't a "must have" body in VTA.
...and I believe he won too.

I only remember two, maybe three Javelin's in the A-main but I could be wrong. I will agree with IndyRC Racer, I don't believe there's a distinct advantage with one versus the other. Maybe a slight difference in "feel" but I'd say that's all. I use a 68 Camaro and to me it "feels" real good on corner entry but that's probably all in my mind.

I also race VTA on the Kissimmee track which is hosting the World's, and that's one LARGE track. I haven't noticed bodies making a distinct difference but the motor differences do become apparent.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There were also McAllister firebirds at the Southern Nationals. Well I know that there was at least one. If you are not watching the subtleties, you will confuse it for the Protoform.

Originally Posted by .crispy
Blah, blah, blah...

Makes you go hmmm...
Dale Epp uses pixie dust and piranha juice in the manufacturing of those shells. That's the edge.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 01-15-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

EA ran the HPI Camaro in quals and set TQ...then went to the PF Bird for the mains...

Ive run the Jav Camaro and Mustang back to back and was just as fast with with all three...the only body Ive ever noticed a speed advantage was the Cuda cut and slammed on the 250ft sweeper and straight at BTH in Memphis a few years back...at the time it was the lightest and 21.5 4.2FDR was the rule....

don't fuss about bodies...they all work very well and perform to most liking....

have fun
Old 01-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ASM
...and I believe he won too.

I only remember two, maybe three Javelin's in the A-main but I could be wrong. I will agree with IndyRC Racer, I don't believe there's a distinct advantage with one versus the other. Maybe a slight difference in "feel" but I'd say that's all. I use a 68 Camaro and to me it "feels" real good on corner entry but that's probably all in my mind.

I also race VTA on the Kissimmee track which is hosting the World's, and that's one LARGE track. I haven't noticed bodies making a distinct difference but the motor differences do become apparent.
I didnt win the Southern Nats with the XXX-S I won the actual USVTA Nationals with it....I ended up 4th after all the crazyness settled at the Southern Nats.

I think you are right there was only 3 J71's in the Amain at the Southern Nats.

Rob King...Winner of the Southern Nats used a J71
Mike Jones and myself both raced the Javelin in the A-main

I have tried just about every body out there there isnt any advantage over the next. Yes each does feel different but it doesnt equate to any faster lap times. Its mainly the looks and how well it holds up. I personally like the Pegasus Mustang and the Javelin. Both hold up well and last for a while. The HPI bodies are nice but they all get damaged rather quickly IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.