Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I saw this body in person and really like it. It reminds of a 60's/70's bowling alley - in a good way.

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
This is a PROTOForm J71 that I airbrushed for a local racer this week in his colors. He'll add finishing touches. Looking forward to seeing it on the track! The J71 is a very light body. Comes with an extra nose in case you didn't know that. That's a nice touch.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
nice...I would take some rear toe out
Ran 2.5 rear toe @ 2013 birds and now know it was too much, this year will be able to get down to 0 toe on my TC4

The birds for the 2014 Snowbirds, all paint. The blue one should be in the A, green will be seen in the B or C or ...

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dsc_0189.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dsc_0255.jpg  
Old 01-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

That matched pair is really sweet Mopar. You should get a discount on your race fees for promoting the class!

Here's one I finished last night. Its the PROTOForm 1971 Trans Am. First one of these I've airbrushed. Nice body. It looked cool just in clear! As you can tell the racer I did it for wanted his ham radio operator call sign on it too. Are we allowed to have TWO hobbies? Gad! He wanted it dark red. All the graphics were cut with liquid mask. Just a few decals on the front (grill) and back (lights).

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-transamprotoformdarkred15r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-transamprotoformdarkred16r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-transamprotoformdarkred18r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-transamprotoformdarkred19r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-transamprotoformdarkred17r.jpg  

Old 01-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Tech Addict

Dang it Scott, if you're not going to post them, I will.

Here's one IndyHobbies just finished up for me. I won't let him post pics of the shell only. Has to be complete with stickers and tires...

As you can tell, I always do BRIGHT colors that I can see.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

That is the 1st Protoform Firebird paint scheme that I really like (Indyhobbies.com)

I also like the Yellow Camaro paint scheme, especially since I get to trade paint with it on our local track.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

any body else having a hard time getting HPI VTA bodies...I live in Quebec and none is available as of today....only the Protoform Firebird is in stock,its nice but Im a FORD Fan...
Danny
Old 01-14-2014, 09:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by flag72
any body else having a hard time getting HPI VTA bodies...I live in Quebec and none is available as of today....only the Protoform Firebird is in stock,its nice but Im a FORD Fan...
Danny

I recently got one from avf in London ont
Old 01-14-2014, 09:17 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparSRT
Ran 2.5 rear toe @ 2013 birds and now know it was too much, this year will be able to get down to 0 toe on my TC4

The birds for the 2014 Snowbirds, all paint. The blue one should be in the A, green will be seen in the B or C or ...

Greg, both cars were VERY fast on Saturday. You certainly did your homework and it showed on the track. I did check my gearing....we're identical. Keep that ratio under wraps...lol. Sorry I didn't make Sunday, woke up with the flu/cold and just drove home....slowly.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
That is the 1st Protoform Firebird paint scheme that I really like (Indyhobbies.com)
Ouch. That hurt my heart.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ASM
Greg, both cars were VERY fast on Saturday. You certainly did your homework and it showed on the track. I did check my gearing....we're identical. Keep that ratio under wraps...lol. Sorry I didn't make Sunday, woke up with the flu/cold and just drove home....slowly.
Hope ur feeling better, Dave told me you were feeling sick and went home
You missed some great racing on sunday, but we will be racing soon again
Old 01-14-2014, 08:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flag72
Danny
Took me 3 weeks but I just got in 2 firebirds, 2 67/68 camaros, 2 Javelins. Now Im a painting fool for these and a couple 17.5 rubber tired TC's
Old 01-14-2014, 08:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

hey Freebird
if Im lucky I should have a VTA bodie in by friday,my TC 6.1 is almost done its taking a lot of time to get it right as Im an oval racer and pan cars are simpler....but Im enjoying playing with all this (to me NEW) stuff...
should have it on the track by february 8th...

Danny
Old 01-15-2014, 05:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Protoform Firebird

Since it's been out awhile now..... Just wondering how everyone's Protoform Firebird body is holding up? Is your nose piece glued, screwed or both to the body?

How do they handle on the track compared to other bodies you have used?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:08 AM
mjw
Tech Adept

I'm still on my first body. I've been running my Protoform Trans Am since the end of September. The nose is only screwed on and I have a split on the right side from repeated hits on that corner that flattened it and eventually cracking it where it creased. The split is only on the upper corner along the headlight area. It doesn't go all the way down and isn't bad enough not to run the body anymore. I have a Javelin with only 2 race days on it that's sitting as a backup, but I'm still running the Trans Am. The only screw that's pulled through is the one I put at the bottom of the right side very low. We run 21.5 motors in the class here and the cars are carrying decent speed when hitting hard steel corners.

I found it to work really well. My only other body I've run with this chassis is the Javelin. I like the Trans Am better. The Javelin (which use to be my body of choice) feels less stable in the rear of the car when run back to back with the Trans Am.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SS LS1
Since it's been out awhile now..... Just wondering how everyone's Protoform Firebird body is holding up? Is your nose piece glued, screwed or both to the body?

How do they handle on the track compared to other bodies you have used?
Mine has held up well - several hits, including one head-on collision, no damage... Nose is glued and screwed. One item of note - the bumper I'm using supports the entire nose, which helps minimize damage on impact.

Handles more or less like everything else out there, IMO - but I prefer the Javelin .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.