Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

I was snooping on eBay last night and came across this PF Trans Am body. I like the flat black. Not sure what paint was used, but it looks cool. Tamiya makes a flat spray (As does Rustoleum) that sticks well to a shell. Or, maybe he coated it with flat paint?

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-transamflatblack.jpg  
Old 12-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
McAllister is a great company to deal with .
+1
Old 12-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Here are a couple of pictures of mt latest VTA body.

Last edited by SteveM; 12-24-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

My Pepto-Bismol pink Challenger came from the guy on Ebay who is selling the flat black Protoform Firebird. I'll bet he'll tell you if you ask him what he used. Seems to be a great guy and he's a class act to do business with.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Tech Addict

One of my painter guys just paints black on the inside and clear matte on the outside. Looks great.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

To get a flat look without issues I sandblast mine on a very low pressure. That way the paint never scrapes or chips.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by theproffesor
To get a flat look without issues I sandblast mine on a very low pressure. That way the paint never scrapes or chips.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by theproffesor

I don't have a sandblaster. Maybe I'll just have my mother-in-law yell at it?

Old 12-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Luckily I have access to one at work. I will blast the hood, and rear light panel on my mustangs. Makes them look super cool. I have really been wanting to do a TF4 Bumble Bee. If anyone wants one let me know.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Looks good. I take it the lexan is nice and thick as is usually the case with their shells? Think I will go this route next time if doing up a Firebird. The PF version looks great but the nose got beat up a little too quick for my liking.
I found a method that will keep the PF front end from being damaged in severe impacts... I'll have to post pictures when I get a moment, but it involved adding a 2nd tier to the bumper, and fitting the lower bumper as close to the nose as possible. It's been battle tested, and stood up to a head-on collision with another car.

Keep up all of the good work with these paint jobs, guys... A lot of these efforts are very inspiring.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
I was snooping on eBay last night and came across this PF Trans Am body. I like the flat black. Not sure what paint was used, but it looks cool. Tamiya makes a flat spray (As does Rustoleum) that sticks well to a shell. Or, maybe he coated it with flat paint?

I use SEM trim paint, it will stick to almost anything (I think it will stick to water also, LOL). You can get it in flat black and just spray the outside of the body instead of the inside. Here is a body I did for my X0-1

Old 12-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Go to the auto parts and pick up Dupli-Color primer. I've used both flat and satin black. Just remember to put your window masks on the outside of the body. Just spray it on the outside. It holds up really well.

chuck
Old 12-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I use Rustoleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2x MATTE CLEAR (rattle can) to create a flat finish on the outside of my bodies (Tip from Indyhobbies.com)

Postitives
- Clear
- Scratch Resistant
- Can paint over decals to give flat finish (seal & protect)
- Resists fingerprints/smudging after painting
- Could be used on Windows to "fog" them

Negatives
- Strong odor
- Would add extra weight to body

----------

On my current Pegasus Mustang, I was too lazy mask off the bumpers & hood scoop on the inside of the body. I just sprayed the hood scoop black & the bumpers silver ON THE OUTSIDE of the body, and then covered with the MATTE CLEAR.

Since the hood scoop gets very little abuse, it looks just like when I painted it. The bumpers around the corners of the body have worn a little bit, but the rest still looks good after a few months of weekly racing.

----------

Since there are several ways to achieve a matte finish on the outside of an R/C car body, choose the one that works best for your application.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I use Rustoleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2x MATTE CLEAR (rattle can) to create a flat finish on the outside of my bodies (Tip from Indyhobbies.com)

Postitives
- Clear
- Scratch Resistant
- Can paint over decals to give flat finish (seal & protect)
- Resists fingerprints/smudging after painting
- Could be used on Windows to "fog" them

Negatives
- Strong odor
- Would add extra weight to body

----------

On my current Pegasus Mustang, I was too lazy mask off the bumpers & hood scoop on the inside of the body. I just sprayed the hood scoop black & the bumpers silver ON THE OUTSIDE of the body, and then covered with the MATTE CLEAR.

Since the hood scoop gets very little abuse, it looks just like when I painted it. The bumpers around the corners of the body have worn a little bit, but the rest still looks good after a few months of weekly racing.

----------

Since there are several ways to achieve a matte finish on the outside of an R/C car body, choose the one that works best for your application.
For me, Having the decals also be a matte finish is a big bonus. I would say use Tamiya clear frost, but I think the Rustoleum would be a better deal.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Going all Mopar! Here are my Cuda and my son's Challenger. Pardon the non-traditional VTA colors. All my cars have the same "family stripes," from my MBX6 to my M05 in orange/black/blue. Lucas wanted to keep his Challenger in the same scheme, but decided to go with his own colors, green/black/purple. Only decals used were for the lights and grill. Window trim and bumpers were masked and painted. Numbers TBD...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.