Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Love that engine poking out of the hood in the previous post... Too cool!

I took my daughter to the Indianapolis Children's Museum today. She's on Spring Break. They have a Transformers exhibit currently which included the original movie car "Bumble Bee." Its a 1976 Camaro and it looked just great!

That 76 Camaro body with the riser hood would be my vote for HPI to consider for an upcoming body. I was in high school in 1976 and one of my brother's friends had a 1975 Camaro. I thought it was awesome and it was!

I've also posted a few other photos you guys might like. Not VTA stuff, but part of the Hot Wheels exhibit that is also there now. I definately had "Twin Mill" Hot Wheels when I was little. It was cool to see it in person.

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-childrensmuseumwithelise2013-001r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-childrensmuseumwithelise2013-017r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-childrensmuseumwithelise2013-020r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-childrensmuseumwithelise2013-016r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-childrensmuseumwithelise2013-023r.jpg  

Old 03-28-2013, 04:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

love that GTO
Old 03-28-2013, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

I airbrushed this HPI 1970 Challenger body for my son. He's now taken a liking to VTA, and of course drives better than his old man (doesn't take much!). He said he wanted it all black with a traditional flame job.

I told him it needs a sponsor like "Bonesy's BBQ" or something given the driver, but he wanted just the bare minimum.

I like the way it turned out. Flames are simple but unique in the way they split around the cowl. That took some layout time. Its mounted on our trusty Associated TC3. I also have a TC5, but the TC3 is still our best VTA car.

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-challengerkyleflames-001r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-challengerkyleflames-002r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-challengerkyleflames-004r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-challengerkyleflames-005r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-challengerkyleflames-007r.jpg  

Old 03-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Changing the name of this thread to the "Indy Hobbies paint" thread.
Your cars look marvelous, although I worry about some of the drivers you use.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Guilty! I like to paint. When all I was doing is RC flying I used to get into the graphics and paint there too. Scale or my own design.

It's a big part of my enjoyment of the hobby.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
Guilty! I like to paint. When all I was doing is RC flying I used to get into the graphics and paint there too. Scale or my own design.

It's a big part of my enjoyment of the hobby.
and that is what this hobby is all about.....................
Old 03-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Tech Adept

A paint idea for the Plymouth fans. Ooh, Hemi Cuda http://www.allsportauto.com/english/...4&zl_idMD=1584
Old 03-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Indy that is simply BEAUTIFUL!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Badass, Indy! Love that driver, too!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've got a question that's rather silly and frankly, not very important....but that's never stopped me from asking them before! But I figured it'd be better to put it in the pic thread since it deals with aesthetics.

As y'all know we're required to run numbers on our cars (hood, doors, trunk). Being vintage TA cars, often times the numbers are a fairly integral part of the paint scheme. Case in point, my #6 Sunoco Camaro. Those large numbers along with the sparse application of sponsor decals "make" the car and give it a true vintage styling. This spartan style is very common in VTA.

I don't know how other tracks do it, but our local track assigns car numbers for each race day and we apply these number stickers to our cars....typically in three locations. Obviously, this could cause some confusion with multiple numbers on the cars. And if we apply these numbers on top of our original numbers, it kills the realistic appearance that is an important part of VTA racing. I've actually considered going with a paint scheme using "gumballs" for numbers next time to address this life threatening issue!

Usually, I'll just apply one number to my windshield and it's sufficient for the RD. But I'm wondering what the rest of you do? Do you just cover up your original numbers? I've never RD'd an event before. Is it too inconvenient (or even possible) for an RD to let you choose your number when you register?

Like I said, this is NOT anything important. I'm just curious since appearance is obviously so key to VTA.....and to VTA's success. I wouldn't even think about asking this in any other class.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Not sure why they even have you put numbers on your cars if you are using electronic scoring. My local tracks don't do it.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Just my two cents ,the paint looks out of sight .But the head in the car thing is ont me.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
Not sure why they even have you put numbers on your cars if you are using electronic scoring. My local tracks don't do it.
Haha, excellent point. We race on a temporary parking lot course that is set up and torn down every weekend. Mishaps happen. If for some reason the timing loop goes down (ie. a marshal tripping over it) our RD can hand count the cars. It's happened before, so the numbers continue to be an important backup counting system.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rodarbal
Haha, excellent point. We race on a temporary parking lot course that is set up and torn down every weekend. Mishaps happen. If for some reason the timing loop goes down (ie. a marshal tripping over it) our RD can hand count the cars. It's happened before, so the numbers continue to be an important backup counting system.

Does everyone run unique 'vintage' numbers? If so you may be able to convince your RD to go with those, especially if you have them in the 4 locations we are supposed to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.