Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
FORD?
How did you do that to those wheels(the blue, I mean), did you just paint them?
Old 12-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Tech Adept

Just finished my Camaro for the Novak Race, here are some pics:

Old 12-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by StoneMan

looks very cool
Old 12-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Grizzbob
How did you do that to those wheels(the blue, I mean), did you just paint them?
I used Testors model paint...bought a small kit with 8 colors and thinner for $10...and I use it on everything for small detail...incl my driver....works great
Old 12-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Tech Adept

ARRRGGGG!!!!,

I finished my first VTA body and I was pretty proud of it.. I've airbrushed a fair number of 1/12 and TC bodies, but opted to shoot Testors "Model Masters" lacquer (aerosol can) for the vintage colors..

Anyhow, Paragon tire sauce ate right through it!!! Completely removed the paint where the sauce got slung from the tires..

As a test, I tried some House of Kolor Lacquer, and it seems to have the same issue with the tire sauce.

Looking for help... What do I use as a backing that will protect the paint???
Old 12-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by StoneMan

That is very pretty..

Better hide it from yourself until the big race
Old 12-29-2008, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've backed the Model Masters rattle can paint with the Pactra rattle can paint made for lexan bodies. The Pactra paints are fuel resistant and should help with problems from tire sauce being sprayed off the tires onto the body. I would suggest wiping down tires though since many traction compounds can eat through lexan (such as the clear windows).

If you are going to use the Model Masters paints (for color selection), take some extra time to prep your body. The paint doesn't seem to bond the same to lexan like the Pactra paint. It is also not as scratch resistant. I'm usually too lazy to scuff up the inside of my bodies before I paint them, so I'm not sure if that would help. I mainly just clean out the bodies with liquid dish soap.

Another thing to be aware of with the Model Masters paint is that it doesn't react well to Shoe Goo. If you apply Shoe Goo directly to the paint it will cause some discoloration. I'm not sure if a good backing of Pactra would help.

Overall I've been very happy with this paint as it has held up to the abuse I give it on the track. I have destroyed the front ends of my bodies before having any real issues with the paint job.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info..

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I've backed the Model Masters rattle can paint with the Pactra rattle can paint made for lexan bodies. The Pactra paints are fuel resistant and should help with problems from tire sauce being sprayed off the tires onto the body. I would suggest wiping down tires though since many traction compounds can eat through lexan (such as the clear windows).

If you are going to use the Model Masters paints (for color selection), take some extra time to prep your body. The paint doesn't seem to bond the same to lexan like the Pactra paint. It is also not as scratch resistant. I'm usually too lazy to scuff up the inside of my bodies before I paint them, so I'm not sure if that would help. I mainly just clean out the bodies with liquid dish soap.

Another thing to be aware of with the Model Masters paint is that it doesn't react well to Shoe Goo. If you apply Shoe Goo directly to the paint it will cause some discoloration. I'm not sure if a good backing of Pactra would help.

Overall I've been very happy with this paint as it has held up to the abuse I give it on the track. I have destroyed the front ends of my bodies before having any real issues with the paint job.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

What brand/color is anyone using for Mopar sublime green? What about the flat black hood, or are you just using gloss for that?

Thanks
Old 12-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by lp3233
What about the flat black hood, or are you just using gloss for that?

Thanks
I've been meaning to ask similiar question... If you shoot Flat Black, isn't it glossy because of the shiny polycabonate?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

INDY_RCRACER did a beautiful Cuda for me in green with the flat black hood. The hood was painted on the outside to make it flat...and it looks so cool...
Old 12-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Testors Model Master Lacquer System Limelight Green.

Paint the flat black on the outside of the body to keep it flat. Parma FasKolor, Krylon flat black or any lacquer flat black should work well.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Tech Addict

Would't it scratch easily though.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Tech Addict

What did you back the green with so it would stay on the lexan and not get eaten by shoe-goo and tire compound?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by lp3233
What did you back the green with so it would stay on the lexan and not get eaten by shoe-goo and tire compound?
I just recently had some issues with paint getting eaten.

As someone else suggested earlier in this thread, back it with Pactra aerosol paint. Pactra seems to be very "fuel proof" (I did some testing).

ps- I also talked to the folks at House of Kolor for about 20 minutes and bottom line was they don't have anything that will protect the paintjob from fuel/shoogoo/tireSauce that won't crack when flexed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.