Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Old 04-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

here's a pic he sent me of the car body all mounted with the painted wheels too. Looks nice. Maybe the TV show should have used Challengers!

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-general_leeih.jpg  
Old 04-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
here's a pic he sent me of the car body all mounted with the painted wheels too. Looks nice. Maybe the TV show should have used Challengers!

The irony is that the show single handedly made the Charger more popular while simultaneously reducing the numbers of good examples of the car.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The irony is that the show single handedly made the Charger more popular while simultaneously reducing the numbers of good examples of the car.
Something had to reduce the numbers of the cars avail to drive the price up - nothing different than what happened on Race Tracks EVERYWHERE to kill Chevelles, Novas, Camaros, 55-57 Chevys, etc.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:04 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
A fresh "GENERAL LEE" for a local VTA racer. We used a Challenger body since there isn't a Charger that's legal. I tried to make the front grill resemble a Charger's and the rear as well. The hood scoop wasn't on the real General Lee, but, it still looks cool. All paint. This one took some time, but I like how it turned out. Hope he does too.

Scott - fantastic work on the front and rear of this body. All I can say is WOW!!
Old 04-02-2014, 05:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Gotta love the orange paint!
Old 04-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I think it's time for some of theseTA bodies now? Your thoughts?

Old 04-02-2014, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

@Cartix,
Those are great!.............for USGT.
Also, the Camaro is the only one that I know of made in 190mm or 200mm. Haven't seen the Mustang or the Olds in lexan before.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
@Cartix,
Those are great!.............for USGT.
Also, the Camaro is the only one that I know of made in 190mm or 200mm. Haven't seen the Mustang or the Olds in lexan before.
Yes none of these have been made in 1/10 scale, I think it's time for some new bodies. They're Trans Am cars from the late 80's to mid 90's, driven by Darren Brassfield, Ron Fellows, Tommy Kendall, Scott Sharp, Irv Hoerr and the likes.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by cartix
Yes none of these have been made in 1/10 scale, I think it's time for some new bodies. They're Trans Am cars from the late 80's to mid 90's, driven by Darren Brassfield, Ron Fellows, Tommy Kendall, Scott Sharp, Irv Hoerr and the likes.
I think they are great cars, and would make some cool TA bodies, but this class is called VTA or Vintage trans am for a reason. Since those cars aren't vintage enough, I think that is why we won't see any bodies resembling them that would be class legal.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Tech Addict

Why not a "VTA1" and "VTA2" class?:

VTA1: original class.

VTA2: newer-style, 1979-1992 (I'll give it a fifteen-year range...) Trans-Am body styles. Updated spoked wheels (like the BBS-style, wire-style). Slick tires only. A lil' more horsepower, say maybe up to a 21.5 or even a 17.5. Same battery as original class. Only "hard-plastic" type wings permitted; no Lexan. If the original car didn't have a wing, then, it's prohibited (like on the Whistler #16 Mustang pictured). How 'bout some late '80s Mustangs, early '90s Camaros, the Roush Cougars, the Olds, Tommy Kendall-type Mustangs, Corvettes, Chevy Monzas, the Group 44 Jaguars, the Audis....

Old 04-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Tech Addict

And you only get to run 4WD if you run the Audi body?

Everyone else has to remove their front belt...
Old 04-03-2014, 05:00 AM
Tech Champion

no need to add in the newer cars that ran under the trans am banner US VINTAGE Trans Am works perfectly good as it

to me, that's more of a USGT class thing - especially, if you're talking about different motors and (most likely) different tires
Old 04-03-2014, 05:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by .crispy
And you only get to run 4WD if you run the Audi body?

Everyone else has to remove their front belt...
better not run a FWD car with that concept cause running front belt ONLY really puts a car down on power - trust me, I've had to do it at a rally race a few years ago...tore my rear belt and had to finish the event with FWD only - and man, was the car slow
Old 04-03-2014, 06:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I love that era of T/A, but I'm hesitant to mess with a really good thing like what we've currently got in USVTA. However, I would love to run any of those "Newer T/A" bodies on my USGT car. I'd do that in a heartbeat, but until several of them are made by the body manufacturers it's mostly a moot point.

I also think the idea of a newer version of T/A racing is great with slicks and 21.5s, but I'm afraid it would dilute USVTA too much. Not to mention a "Newer T/A" car with a 21.5 could be very competitive in USGT right now.

I guess my point is that I would LOVE to see some of these bodies *accurately* made....and preferably in 190mm if their intention would be to run in USGT. 200mm would be cool, but would pretty much require VTA wheels/tires if it's going to look worth a darn.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommy R
I love that era of T/A, but I'm hesitant to mess with a really good thing like what we've currently got in USVTA. However, I would love to run any of those "Newer T/A" bodies on my USGT car. I'd do that in a heartbeat, but until several of them are made by the body manufacturers it's mostly a moot point.

I also think the idea of a newer version of T/A racing is great with slicks and 21.5s, but I'm afraid it would dilute USVTA too much. Not to mention a "Newer T/A" car with a 21.5 could be very competitive in USGT right now.

I guess my point is that I would LOVE to see some of these bodies *accurately* made....and preferably in 190mm if their intention would be to run in USGT. 200mm would be cool, but would pretty much require VTA wheels/tires if it's going to look worth a darn.
That's where I am as well. I think many of those cars would look great in lexan, as well as the cars that are run in IMSA GT or JGTC, but I am not about to support the modification of VTA to run these bodies. If you can find any of these being made just run them in USGT where they are legal. The idea of having a VTA class that represents a different time period sounds intriguing as well, but that still comes at the cost of diluting the original class. How many classes are you going to run? Many of my friends that run VTA also run USGT, but I don't know how much further you can stretch that. I don't know how many you can get to add another class.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.