Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 06:31 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

what are you guys using to paint the rims?
Old 11-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Great Firebird pics. The grey one is the protoform one right? Without that front grill attachment they could easily make it a Camaro. I was at the track yesterday and they had a HPI Mustang GT I grabbed. Drove a friends car after the race day. Cant wait!
Old 11-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
what are you guys using to paint the rims?
I use the same paints I use for the lids. I can match them to the body. When finished I seal them with a clear coat to shine them up. You can also use a matte clear if you don't want the shine.

I haven't tried enamel paints yet, these are holding up fine. The only paint that chips off it on the very outer edge of the rim...so far.

Yes, the grey one is the protoform. I think the shop sold three of them after seein this one hit the track. The driver reported it sits a lot lower on the chassis than his previous mustang. Had to add a bunch of weight too.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Tech Legend

love the look of these bodies after we get done with these challenger bodies which from the looks of things for my daughter may be pretty quick would like to get these.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
The hardest part, as you might guess was getting that 1/16" yellow pin stripe mask in place and straight inside the body.
The bodies looks absolutely stunning, I must say. Thumbs up!

May I ask how you got the pin stripe mask of after the paint had dried? I am thinking the dried paint would flake pulling off a thin pin stripe mask.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Just tossing my idea for my VTA body on here. Was an Earnhardt Sr. Fan and lived him and Jr. running the corvette in the Le Mans series. I'm working on a corvette body for USGT, wanted something to be done similar for VTA. Here are pics:

Old 11-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by IAmGreatDane

May I ask how you got the pin stripe mask of after the paint had dried? I am thinking the dried paint would flake pulling off a thin pin stripe mask.

I find the opposite to be true. If I don't wait until the paint is dry before taking masks off I get crappy lines. Wait until it id dry.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Meradin
I find the opposite to be true. If I don't wait until the paint is dry before taking masks off I get crappy lines. Wait until it id dry.
Will do, thanks.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IAmGreatDane

Thanks. I enjoy painting classic VTA bodies, but they are mighty cool already... before you ever put the first drop of paint on them!

I seem to have better luck removing the tape and masks after the paint has dried. I carefully pull up an edge and then remove it slowly. I try to fold it back over itself and that minimizes tearing. See the photo below. That will give you an idea of what I'm talking about if you can't picture it. I'm talking about Faskolor paints here. You need to know your paint your using. All those scraps you cut away from a new body you can use to practice on.

If you are really concerned about crisp lines, you can lightly score the edge of the tape after you paint with a fresh sharp X-acto knife blade. I've had to do that when the paint gets a little thick by accident. I've also done it around window masks. That makes it perfect.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-taperemoval.jpg  
Old 11-18-2013, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

x2 to everything Indy said. I find the fascolor to be a bit more difficult to work with in regards to pin stripes. I think it is due to the fact that it is a bit more flexible and tends to stick to itself. If you don't wait til it is dry the paint will stretch around the edges of the mask and get the fuzzy lines I was talking about.

Pull the mask up like pictured. It works great. I too have had to go through and score the paint next to the mask with a knife. Works good as there is a little ridge to let the knife ride on. Use little to no pressure and let the blade follow the ridge.

Thanks for the pic Indy!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Here is my Challenger. Decided to do a VTA look with a bit of a twist.
It looks a little worse for wear now than when the pics were taken. It rides on a Serepent S411 chassis.
The color is actually more of a dark red then the pink it looks in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-dodge.jpg  
Old 11-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Tech Adept

@Indy and Meradin: Thank you so much for your answer, image and input.

Much appreciated :-)
Old 11-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Tech Adept

Here's my new VTA body
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_20131119_9999_8a1_-1.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-img_20131119_9999_6a1-1.jpg  
Old 11-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Tech Legend

looks good. how did you strength the nose for durability?
Old 11-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Nice job, Byron!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.