Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

Location: West Monroe,LA........yes,where Duck Dynasty is filmed

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12
Anybody know if there's a '68-'71 Firebird (or conversion for the Camaros), or a '67-'70 Mercury Cougar out there anywheres?
Too bad this one is unavailable.I used to own a 1973 just like this and built a replica of it.Sold the 1:1 and kept the 1:10.Its just a shelf queen now and sits on a TT-01 chassis

Old 06-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There is Pegasus Hobbies 70 SS Camaro, but the dimensions are a bit off.

HOWEVER....

Originally Posted by flyingm
New product release from McAllister Racing-

#295- 1970 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am VTA body- 1/10- 200mm

In 1970 Jerry Titus drove the Pontiac Firebird Trans Am in the Trans Am series that shared the same name. The body is one piece and comes with paint mask, overspray film, and head light decals.

Please support your local RC Dealer and ask for Mcallister Racing by name.

All McAllister Racing products are 100% made in the U.S.A.
Here is a link to the thread here on RCTECH with additional pictures (http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...y-release.html)

Here is a picture of a real car to compare:

Old 06-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Hades has frozen over...

Old 06-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JCarr
Hi Indy, were you at the track this year with that body? I thought that was you a saw during the Indy lights Qualifying. I was sitting one row down and over to the left from you.

Jon
Ha! Sure was!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Tech Addict

Part of what makes the real Firebird so unique is the tucked under "chin". No other car was like that.

This body with that goofy spoiler really spoils that.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

The spoiler is a trade-off for the one-piece mold as well as durability. I'd rather sacrifice this end of the car than get the super thin front end like the original HPI 'Cuda.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:30 AM
Tech Elite

I can see someone doing up a nice paint job on one of these for VTA and lowering and raking the body a tad bit more and trimming that front spoiler about 1/4" or so...

I'm a FORD guy so I don't know if I'll try one of these or not, but as much as I'm a FORD Guy, I'm also a HUGE Supporter of McAllister Racing Bodies when/where ever I can be...

#oldschool

Thanks for another body choice Gary - and I know these will be TOUGH as NAILS!

Semi-Interesting info about the 70 Firebird's in the Trans-Am Series

At the final 1968 Trans-Am race at Kent, the big news was that Jerry Titus was leaving Ford and moving to Pontiac. Terry Godsall, a young Canadian businessman, offered Jerry a chance to run a team of his own Pontiac Firebirds.

In going with Pontiac, Titus found that he was handicapped by the need of a great deal of developmental work, especially on the engine. Early on, Godsall pulled out of the Trans Am series, saying that the SCCA was inconsistent in its rule enforcement policies. Jerry then carried on the administrative responsibilities as well as driving for his team.

In 1970, Jerry Titus decided to stop building Firebirds for customers and concentrate on his own race cars. Three cars were built. This car and the BFG " Tire Bird" are the only cars that still exist.

The third Trans Am Firebird was severely wrecked in a crash and eventually destroyed.
The 1970 Season was Jerry's last season.

Last edited by SWTour; 06-06-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by artnair
Too bad this one is unavailable.I used to own a 1973 just like this and built a replica of it.Sold the 1:1 and kept the 1:10.Its just a shelf queen now and sits on a TT-01 chassis

OMG! Who manufactured that body???? I want one!!
Old 06-06-2013, 05:33 AM
Tech Adept

Location: West Monroe,LA........yes,where Duck Dynasty is filmed

This body was found at toys r us a few years back.It is made by NIKKO and i think its unavailable.It is a multi piece body that came with lights and an engine sound.I ditched all that and used a TT-01 as the wheelbase was the closest one to match the fenderwells.It also came with a clear hood and a faux simulated motor.When i installed it,I kept most of the motor intact and cut away just enough to clear the shock tower.The hood is functional and has a little latch under the nose just like the real one.Im glad you like it and i too wish i get a few more.I never run it for fear of tearing up the body.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
Ha! Sure was!
I figured that had to be you.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

Man...that Joe Myers knows his stuff!!!!
Thanks Joe.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Snoopy is buckled in and ready for the Ultimate Trans Am Championship tomorrow down in Texas ! ! ! !
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-photo-5-small.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-photo-4-copy.jpg  

Last edited by squig; 06-07-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by squig
Snoopy is buckled in and ready for the Ultimate Trans Am Championship tomorrow down in Texas ! ! ! !
Yes, thinking outside the usual.... I just hope the Red Baron does not sneak up behind him.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by volracer
I just hope the Red Baron does not sneak up behind him.
Haven't you heard? I already took that chump out.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

LOVE the Snoopy body. That's a hoot!

I finished this one last night for a guy in Dallas, Tx who races VTA. Unfortunately, HPI had discontinued the Cuda body, so we had to use the next closest, a 1970 Challenger, to do a #42. Still, it looks good on that body too. I used Faskolor paints all straight from the bottle. The only decal is the "Dodge" which would be "Plymouth" if it was true to scale.

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-challenger-42thomasmayer-005r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-challenger-42thomasmayer-006r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-challenger-42thomasmayer-007r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-challenger-42thomasmayer-008r.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-challenger-42thomasmayer-009r.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.