Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Are you considering changing from sedan to a different class/scale? /already done it? >

Are you considering changing from sedan to a different class/scale? /already done it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are you considering changing from sedan to a different class/scale? /already done it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:47 AM
Tech Champion

Default Are you considering changing from sedan to a different class/scale? /already done it?

As per the title really...

I've raced for 14 years and have raced off road many years ago. From about 1996/7 I then joined the sedans when they were in the age of using an off road chassis and a wide on road bodyshell (Its how the sedans started in the UK).

Over 10 years later and i'm still enjoying sedan, but sometimes the technical side, (not forgetting the cost) is sometimes making it less enjoyable for me.

My local on road track is no longer somewhere I would choose to race, being outdoors is one reason as a good chunk of my younger years were spent racing on high grip carpet tracks, weekly.

Indoor sedan racing at club level is not local to me, but very enjoyable where ametuers and experts will chat with each other and its a great environment to be part of...

I have considered changing to 1/12th for 2009 as there is a local track to me, but havn't made any firm decision as yet.

Anyone else been in a similar position, and what were your reasons for leaving one class, and joining another?

Discuss...
Old 07-17-2008, 05:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There is a pretty big group of people that have switched classes or quit racing all together. The only part of sedan racing that I know of that's actually growing in the US is rubber tire sedan.

Most have switched to 12th and many are considering the switch to the new 190mm pan class. Personally I think the new pan car class should have been LMP style bodies but that's just me.

It shouldn't be a real surprise to anyone that sedan is falling off. The same thing happened here in the states when the oval cars got so fast. Oval was all but dead until they slowed the cars back down to a reasonable speed and power.

If new people can't drive a car around the track because it's too fast, you won't have new people racing and the class dies. Europe saw that there were some problems and went to 5 cell (mod at least) and Japan went to 4 cell. I don't think the areas that slowed the cars down are seeing the decline that we are here.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

When I first started racing I ran Sedan. 1 Year later I switched to 1/12th and I haven't gone back. I actually tried running TC last month with my old TC3. It ran decent. It just wasn't my type of car and didn't suit my driving style. I am sticking with 1/12th. It is cheaper, faster and more fun.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Suspended

in case you don't know, there's quite a contingent of your fellow-UKers that are racing micros/minis indoor on carpet both on- and off-road

http://www.uk-microrc.co.uk/forum/
Old 07-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I left sedan racing back in 2003. It got to the point where it just wasn't fun anymore. A lot of tuning work and let alone motor work for very little race time.

I switched to offroad racing and I have been having fun when I can go to events as there isn't a local track here for either form of racing, which is sad as this is the largest city in the state.

I have some interest though in trying it again this winter now that I have a traveling buddy. Maybe that USVTA class. Something that allows lipo.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Switched from Foam to Rubber-tire only...much cheaper to run....
Old 07-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Switched from Sedan 13.5BL/LiPo (carpet & asphalt) to USVTA (21.5BL/LiPo)...

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/

I'm lovin' it

Last edited by slakr; 07-18-2008 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:32 AM
Tech Champion

great input, i'll be following it and making a decision some time...
Old 07-18-2008, 05:06 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts
in case you don't know, there's quite a contingent of your fellow-UKers that are racing micros/minis indoor on carpet both on- and off-road

http://www.uk-microrc.co.uk/forum/
I've heard of the cars and seen a few, nice.

Unfortunately there's nothing local to me. If there were, i'd be interested in finding out a bit more
Old 07-18-2008, 06:01 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tc3team
I've heard of the cars and seen a few, nice.

Unfortunately there's nothing local to me. If there were, i'd be interested in finding out a bit more

You might want to do some checking since they appear to be all over, but otherwise I guess you just need to find out who's racing what locally and sticking to that.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:04 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts
You might want to do some checking since they appear to be all over, but otherwise I guess you just need to find out who's racing what locally and sticking to that.
Good point and yes, i've been looking around locally, thanks
Old 07-18-2008, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

In the Ft Wayne area VTA has helped bring sedan racing back a little bit. 12th scale should be pretty good too. The 190mm pan car thing looks promising, but it feels like a bunch of people are waiting around to see how it all comes together locally and nationally. I prefer rubber tire TC racing, but that has all but died here, so I'm going after 12th scale again. I'll run VTA as well because it's fun.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

at our track, we have 3 series:
1/10 hot body cyclone RTR (for beginner/intermediar)
1/10 TC rubber 13.5
1/12 foam 13.5

I like both car. I also like racing 1/18 onroad (xray M18pro) but no more interest at our track.

Some of us already have a 1/10 pan car and I think I will like to get one since I really like foam. so to reply to your question, I hope that this class will be a go at our local track.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:01 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

whats wrong w/that 1/10 pan have GTP and GT options. GT is stock GTP is mod. thoughts?

R
Old 07-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

I officially bailed on TC after Cleveland last year. The cars are too much work, and the racing IMHO, is not nearly as good as it is in 12th scale. Factor in that 12th scale cars get just about double the track time per heat, and for me it was a total no-brainer. I've been running 12th scale for 20 years. I've run dirt, and some oval, as well as TC, but I always end up right back in a 12th scaler. Less maintenance, less expensive, and longer heats just equates to more fun for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.