Old 08-25-2003, 08:34 PM   #16
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Thank Let me know..how it go those 32 Take off
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 08:51 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Originally posted by acloco
Neil......have you called Billy about your sorex problem? What is the problem anyways?
The problem I, and numerous others here, have had was the glazing of the tire either not wearing completely off, or only the sidewalls wearing off. Because of this, the tire became inconsistent with no traction. Yes, I've tried numerous insert combinations but to no avail. I've even tried trueing the tire on a tire lathe to get past the glazing, but it still came down to the side wall wearing out fast. In the most recent batch, the main surface of the tire looked new, while the sidewalls wore down to the belt. If you guys are thinking it might be the car, I ruled that out because before every run, I put it through its normal routine of checking droop, ride height, camber angles, tweak, etc. I put on a different make tire and never looked back.

I don't see how Billy Bowerman can help. Not after 3 full sets of Sorex tires that I went through, not to mention the other drivers at Socal having the same problem.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 09:08 PM   #18
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

RCInfinity- since Billy Bowerman is the importer of the Sorex tires maybe he would like to know exactly what is going on with your tires. If there is a problem I'm sure he will fix it. I personally haven't heard of anyone having the problems you are describing and 99% of us up here in sacramento run the sorex 36's even when it cools off at night.
Official member of The Guild of Calamitous Intent and proud supporter of Conjectural Technologies.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 09:31 PM   #19
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Im with Matt,Talk to Billy he will do what he can to fix the problem.If you would like I can let him know for you since he lives down the street from me.
See is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 09:39 PM   #20
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

RCInfinity - You said that you check your setup but have you tried changing your setup to stop the problem. If you run too much caster or camber your going to have problems with sidewall wear as you have described. But if there are alot of other drivers having the same problem then this is pretty unlikely that all your setups are out.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 10:19 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Interesting to say the least.

Is if the front or rear tires that are doing this? After only one run?

No bull.....but I have 36's from two years ago.......and from 2 weeks ago......and they still hook up the same.

I do set my car up so that the tire is wearing in the middle......if I do run a setup that constantly tears up front tires, then the problem is with my setup. Granted, some times you do have to run a setup that may only allow one or two FAST runs.....at the expense of tire wear.....the give-n-take of racing!! hehe
acloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 09:10 AM   #22
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I will have to agree with Neil. A couple of months ago, there seemed to have been a bad batch of Sorex tires at Socal. A lot of drivers were having problems with traction when they ran them. I had two sets of them. When I was scrubbing them in, I thought, okay...they need more laps, but they never came in. After a couple of hurting nights of racing, I picked some more Sorex 36's at another hobby shop and those were hooked up! Since then, no problems...well except for a set that I ran two weeks ago.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 09:28 AM   #23
Tech Champion
Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Could this be someone picking up some old style 36Rs? There was a molding and compound change with the current 36R. When they first came out there was not the "36R" lettering molded on the sidewalls...the new ones do.....
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote