Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Camber? When to use and when not to use? >

Camber? When to use and when not to use?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Camber? When to use and when not to use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default Camber? When to use and when not to use?

Hey guys

I see there is a good droop discussion going around and figured i would start a camber one. I myself have a hard time deciding when i should use more camber, less camber, front, or rear...Let hear the tips
Old 07-14-2008, 06:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The best camber tip I ever got was.......take a Sharpie, draw a line across the tread of your tire, drive your car a few laps and look at the tire and see if the Sharpie line is worn off. If there's any leftover, you're not getting optimal contact on the racing surface.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

good tip (i use a silver sharpie)
Old 07-14-2008, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

If you run a track that has many high-speed sweeping turns, you run more camber than normal.

If you tires always come off your car coned, you need more camber.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the sharpie idea.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

more negative camber can gain the grip...
1.5 is the good starting point you can go eighter 2 or 1 for more or less grip ...
Hope that helps
P.S try to buy an at least second hand setup station for proper setup
Old 07-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by yokemad
more negative camber can gain the grip...
1.5 is the good starting point you can go eighter 2 or 1 for more or less grip ...
Hope that helps
P.S try to buy an at least second hand setup station for proper setup
Thanks for the tips..I do have a setup station.
Would too much camber actually slow you down and make you push some?
I had mine set a 1.5 front 2 rear and then set it at 1 front 1.5 rear and i seemed to get quicker..Does that make sense?
Old 07-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default camber adj

Personally, i only adjust camber to get the best wear i can from the tires, after that i use other adjustments to find grip.
Not sure if its the right thing to do, but it works!!
Old 07-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i usually start my camber at 1.5 front and rear and if the setup is real close but just needs a little more steering i will add more camber or if the car seems to have too much steering then i will take some out

as for the rear if the rear feels pretty good but you are peeling the outside edge of your tires and didnt hit anything then i would add a little more camber until the peeling stops i really dont pay that much attention to the coning of the tires ,especially how fast that these cars are going the car is going to roll more in the corner causing you to get on the outside edge of your tire. hope this helps
Old 07-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Whatchamacallit
The best camber tip I ever got was.......take a Sharpie, draw a line across the tread of your tire, drive your car a few laps and look at the tire and see if the Sharpie line is worn off. If there's any leftover, you're not getting optimal contact on the racing surface.
Originally Posted by mickrcarver
good tip (i use a silver sharpie)
Sharpies are a neat old-school tip...
I've always had a practice set, trued perfectly straight, just used for set-up purposes. I fog each tire on one side with white paint (tape off 1/8 to 1/4 of the tire), not much so they still handle well, and run a few laps - easy to see what sort of camber adjustment is needed.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This topic interests me. I know when I run foam tyres I'll generally start with about 1.5mm camber and adjust after each run so that the tyres wear flat. This almost always assures that I have more negative camber on the left side of the car.
Funny thing is I don't do that when I race rubber tyres. I'll adjust it so that each axle is the same on both sides.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:38 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I start off with 2 degrees front and rear, then adjust for wear.
I am looking for the front to wear in the centre of the tyre, with the rears slightly to the inside of centre.

Camber is something that I've found is either right or wrong with very little if any adjustments are required between tracks.
As it has already been mentioned, there are other things I adjust to get grip.

-Mark
Old 07-15-2008, 02:57 AM
Tech Champion

The softer the tyre you plan on using, obviously the more critical it is you have the camber set correctly too to prevent them wearing unevenly and loosing race pace.

Try the sharpie trick with some older, harder tyres first for a lap or 3 if you are in any doubt...
Old 07-15-2008, 03:55 AM
Tech Elite

The guys running rubber, can you really tell in just a few laps? Maybe i need a lesson on how to rear tires...
Old 07-15-2008, 08:03 AM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrobeast
The guys running rubber, can you really tell in just a few laps? Maybe i need a lesson on how to rear tires...
You might have noticed that rubber tyres when brand new have a seam around the middle of the tyre?

When my camber is set right, the shiny look of the new tyre will be scrubbed/rough for an even amount of distance either side of that seam. I also dont consider rubber tyres to be worn in until that seam is gone (before this the tyre is just rounded across the width and has less contact patch).

After one 5 min race with a brand new set of tyres, I get about 5mm of roughened tyre either side of this seam. On the front tyres I like the total width of the rough area on the tyre as central as possible. On the rear tyres I like to get say 3/4 of the wear on the inside of the tyre (closest to chassis) and 1/4 of the total wear on the outside of the tyre.

On carpet I can tell much easier if the camber is ok. When its off, the area of the tyre that doesnt scrub up seems to look polished (shinier than the new look of the tyre). If that polished area is on the outside, then I presume camber is too much. On asphalt I have noticed that the tyres wear quicker and after only a few laps you can start to see the tyre wear (and my experience shows that it wears a wider rough patch quicker).

I can only suggest that start with 2 degrees camber front and rear and do a few laps then see where that rough worn patch is situated and adjust camber as appropriate.

-Mark