R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-13-2008, 01:42 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Help a newbie getting started.

Hi all.

I'm from Estonia and I want to get started with some RC racing, but I'm not sure which kit should I buy? I've been looking at Cyclone S and Team associated TC5. Which one is better or if you have anything better for me then hit it.. show me.

Thanks for those who help
Kaspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:55 AM   #2
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

well it depends...

Like all electronics, you should also consider the if your country has technical and customer support of those brands...

Budget is also a factor... how much and what sort of track and amount of playing time you are gonna clock with the car...

Then there is the factor of what sort of cars/chassis people in your Local Hobby Shop (LHS) use too.

There are many established brands out there... for instance...

X-Ray (T2'008)
Tamiya (TRF 416; TA05; TT-01)
Hotbodies (Cyclone; Sprint)

You have to consider all of the above then decide.
HTC Touch Pro - Simply the best mobile
peterchia41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:54 AM   #3
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

As mentioned before. Remember if you don't have the hobby shop carrying parts then don't buy the car. It worse to break and go home because of not having parts needed to fix the car rather than to break and being able to repair and continue playing. He in the US the TC5 is way more cost efficient than the Cyclone. Some car tend to work better for other drivers. Good luck with whatever you get.
Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
Thanks to the SoCal guys that help me & "Tha Man" Paul Lemieux
Racing TC Class where allowed with what I have.
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:32 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

starting with this hobby and getting a car with lots of parts support will be something you wan to start with.

as this will keep the cost low instead of always ordering parts from the online website.
YEAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #5
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Being new to the hobby you're going to need a lot of help, and thats most easily done by your fellow racers and if you have a similar car like they do then it makes it even more easy. People told me this before I bought my TC(a Losi Type-R) and I was pretty much S.O.L. when it came to getting some help on getting it dialed. Go to the track where you're gonna be racing and see what the most popular cars are and go from there. And like was previously said if your LHS doesn't stock parts for the car, you're gonna get real familiar with UPS and ebay waiting for your parts. Its pretty frustrating if you break something ten minutes after getting to the track, having to pack everything back up and knowing its gonna be at least a week before the replacement parts arrive in the mail.
jla8874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

Hey i'm a beginner too, like the others hv said, it relly depends on the local hobby shop hop up / spare parts they hv. In my place, its mostly tamiya stuff so i got a tt-01E as a start. Pretty fine chassis if you're a newbie
TT-01- Fully Hopped Up ~ Team Orion 11t
badboys886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:19 AM   #7
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

again, what the LHS supports and what other racers in your area are using so u have a baseline and reference pts to work on.

cyclone S is a good choice to look at if supported. TC5, not so much.

UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote