Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT7 Setup and Technology

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 06:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default GT7 Setup and Technology

I wanted to start a thread not only to discuss the GT7 features and setup, but also to answer a specific problem I've had. On my car, the Yok SD, there is little electronics room and the wires to the motor must be very short. This is not a question about the SD (there is a separate forum for that) but rather a question about the inline diode which comes with the new version of the speed control, as it is getting in the way. Is it okay to remove the special diode inline with the wires and, instead, use a regular one on the motor? I would like to know if the one supplied works any differently from a traditional Schottky diode. Any ideas or info would be appreciated.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

http://www.teamnovak.com/Buy/ind_buypgs/5638.html

Yes you can but make sure you use a 25A shottky diode on the motor.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I'm selling my Quantum to try out the GT7, how do you guys like the overall performance of the ESC?
Old 08-15-2003, 07:03 PM
Tech Adept

I really like the GT7 but i dont think i set it right. It was much better than my LRP v7.1. But i like the Novak Cyclone TC2 better.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:07 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Have you tried any different profiles, or set it up again?
Old 08-15-2003, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Re: GT7 Setup and Technology

Originally posted by coolrcdad
I wanted to start a thread not only to discuss the GT7 features and setup, but also to answer a specific problem I've had. On my car, the Yok SD, there is little electronics room and the wires to the motor must be very short. This is not a question about the SD (there is a separate forum for that) but rather a question about the inline diode which comes with the new version of the speed control, as it is getting in the way. Is it okay to remove the special diode inline with the wires and, instead, use a regular one on the motor? I would like to know if the one supplied works any differently from a traditional Schottky diode. Any ideas or info would be appreciated.
Coolrcdad,

The ESC works better with the new Shottky Diode Motor Module. You can remove the unit from being inline and with a little surgery make the unit adaptable for direct solder to the motor. See picture below.

This can be done cleanly by removing the heat shrink, soldering the wires to the positive and negative tabs and reshrinking.

In the event that you choose not to rework the Module, Novak does have it available in this alternate configuration. The Part Number is 5639.

b
Old 08-15-2003, 09:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by Randman
I'm selling my Quantum to try out the GT7, how do you guys like the overall performance of the ESC?
Awesome performance!
Profile #4 great for stock... lots of punch.!
I forget which profile but...super smooth for mod!

Perfect match for the WEB
Old 08-15-2003, 09:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I am gonna get the BL setup before I get the GT7, but I'll have a GT7 in a week or so
Old 08-15-2003, 09:54 PM
Tech Adept

Hey Randman i haven't tried other Profiles or have set it up myself but JasonC helped me out with it.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Dawson - Thanks, that is exactly what I'm going to do. That should fix the space issue.

As to the GT7 performance, I have 2 quantums and 1 GT7 and I like the GT7 better. The throttle response is smoother and the speed control doesn't have the issue of overheating like the quantum does. I use the 6th (?), most punchy setting on the speed control for stock and 19T on the recommendation of a Novak-sponsored driver. The only problem with the GT7 versus the Quantum is that the GT7 uses much more room with the large power cap, the Schottky diode and the already larger footprint of the speed control. On some cars, this size is not a problem, but on others with limited space, like the SD, some "creativity" is needed to make it work.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

SO you can't get rid of the big cap if you have the little 25amp modual?
Old 08-16-2003, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

mike_Webb, you shouldn't get rid of the big capacitor no matter what.

coolrcdad, try profile 1 on program 7 for 27T, for mod I use mostly program 2. Program 7 is a lilttle tricky to master but once you get the hang of things it's easy.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:24 PM
CGR
Tech Regular

I had a GT7 along with a few other ESC in my various cars. I sold them all and no run GT7s in all my cars. Awesome speed control.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by Genetic
Hey Randman i haven't tried other Profiles or have set it up myself but JasonC helped me out with it.
Try a different profile, you can propably get one that will feel just like your TC2...
Old 08-17-2003, 08:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Before anyone goes rushing off to buy a new speed control, you should know there's a new Quantum controller coming. It is called the Quantum Competition 2. It might be a good one, we'll see... Here's a picture of it:
Attached Thumbnails GT7 Setup and Technology-quantum-2.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.