Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Orion 3800 Lipo or Team Trinity 3800 Lipo? >

Team Orion 3800 Lipo or Team Trinity 3800 Lipo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Orion 3800 Lipo or Team Trinity 3800 Lipo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
I ran lipo for the first time this weekend and ran this pack. It was Top Fuel as Josh said. Lipo all the way for me now. Couldnt be easier.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The Orion packs are super safe chemistry, and solid as a rock and have way better cycle life than many of their competitors... but the voltage is considerably lower than most others. And in reality, all those cycles seem to not matter that much the way we use (and go through) batteries. If you're running mod buggy, or something where voltage doesn't matter much, Orion is a great choice. If you're running stock sedan, you're going to get fuckstomped by someone with another LiPo, or NiMH. Mythical C ratings won't help you in low amperage situations.

It's cool to see some of you guys trying LiPo, and speaking favorably about it. It looks like storing them with too much charge will hurt capacity. Hyperion's storage mode puts them at 60% to minimize this. I haven't read up on how they arrived at that number, but I assume it was through a lot of research and feedback from the plane folks.

I'm pretty stoked I can leave my big PS at home, and roll with only a single small charger (w/built-in PS). Less gear is a big win.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
The Orion packs are super safe chemistry, and solid as a rock and have way better cycle life than many of their competitors... but the voltage is considerably lower than most others. And in reality, all those cycles seem to not matter that much the way we use (and go through) batteries. If you're running mod buggy, or something where voltage doesn't matter much, Orion is a great choice. If you're running stock sedan, you're going to get fuckstomped by someone with another LiPo, or NiMH. Mythical C ratings won't help you in low amperage situations.
Could you elaborate on that part for me? I dont' claim to know everything and am always up for more information. I guess I assumed that since my packs charge up to 8.4V that they were the same as say another manufacturer. Sure resistance might be different internally etc. but I'd like to know more as it sounds like you understand the technology better than me I know that NiMhs start with more than LiPo but tend to fade mid run after a few cycles.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Catalyst
Could you elaborate on that part for me? I dont' claim to know everything and am always up for more information. I guess I assumed that since my packs charge up to 8.4V that they were the same as say another manufacturer. Sure resistance might be different internally etc. but I'd like to know more as it sounds like you understand the technology better than me I know that NiMhs start with more than LiPo but tend to fade mid run after a few cycles.
Basically, voltage under load. If you take an SMC and Orion pack of similar capacity, and then discharge them at 35A and measure the voltage throughout the process, the SMC will hold a higher average voltage. I know John Stranahan documented this at length in his Pantoura thread a while back. The Kokam cells Orion uses have an extremely safe chemistry. Unfortunately, this seems to come at the expense of voltage.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by Josh H
Thats believable.........the trinity cells could and probably should be rereleased in the same hype/bs sales tactics. They are way bigger than the 3800 rating that they have.

Right now everybody sees the "30c" rating and thinks.......I need to get that.............its got to be better than the 25 or 28c packs out there. But guess what...........its just hype. Untill somebody starts matching or puting discharge numbers on the packs.....you wont know what is what.
My comments were geared more towards different manufactures having different "c" ratings. I'm sure the orion 30c pack will have more power than the orion 20c pack.
I just think that if somebody buys the orion 30c pack over the trinity or even the smc 28c pack they might be in for a shock when they find out the "c" ratings are different from one company to the next.

I've said it before and i'll say it again.......the trinity 3800 25c is incredibly fast...........you should let on track performance make your decision instead of a sticker with a rating that at this point means nothing.
Untill packs are sold with discharge numbers.....you have 2 choices
1....believe the hype
2.....go with on track performance
Old 08-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go with Trinity.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
if you tested willl know 25C & 30C different !
I got my Orion 3600 (25C) and Orion 3800 (30C) from RC Market. The 3800 acquisition was just 2-3 weeks ago. RC Market got them to me quick which I fully appreciate.

But, in a head to head test of the Orion 3600/3800 packs...I ran similar fast lap times (within a few thousandths); and, they took basically identical MAHR charges after a 5 minute run. So, I am somewhat believing the statement above about them being the same units...just relabeled.

However, I am still very impressed with these Orion lipo packs that fit very nicely in my Phi's.

Nothing to contribute about the Trinity 3800s. No experience...yet!
Old 08-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

10C, 20C what's the difference? I really thought that there would be some significant difference between two 4000mah Lipo packs, one rated at 10C and the other at 20C. I tried both out in my TA (TC3) and lo and behold, the average lap times and hot laps were the same. I thought the 20 would give a little extra punch to the 21.5BL motor but it wasn't meant to be. Both packs gave the car the same feel.

10C = PolyQuest and the 20C=ProTek RC
Old 08-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I guess, based on everyone's experience here, and at least based on 13.5 and above (maybe 10.5 too) the ability of the cell to maintain a higher voltage than the competition is more important than the C rating as these classes do not generally have high current drains.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill
I got my Orion 3600 (25C) and Orion 3800 (30C) from RC Market. The 3800 acquisition was just 2-3 weeks ago. RC Market got them to me quick which I fully appreciate.

But, in a head to head test of the Orion 3600/3800 packs...I ran similar fast lap times (within a few thousandths); and, they took basically identical MAHR charges after a 5 minute run. So, I am somewhat believing the statement above about them being the same units...just relabeled.

However, I am still very impressed with these Orion lipo packs that fit very nicely in my Phi's.

Nothing to contribute about the Trinity 3800s. No experience...yet!
Thanks !
we received your order will first time send !
Old 08-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Tech Champion

...Nothing to contribute about the Trinity 3800s. No experience...yet!
James Arluck got me a Trinity 3800 and SMC 5000 to test tomorrow...Have the day off after attending a morning CATTLE DRIVE that goes across my company property. Was supposed to help herd the longhorn steers to a local county fair using a Segway; but, the corporate liability aspect nixed it...Dang lawyers!

Plan to test on NorCal's carpet surface (for the IIC). If not definitive, can switch to asphalt.

Should know more about these packs sometime tomorrow night.

No cattle jokes pleeeeeeeeeze...

Bill
Old 08-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have a Orion 3200 Lipo first Lipo i've ever owned very happy w/ it

planed on buying some 3800's but they are not on the roar legal list yet

will the 3800 trinity fit in the tc5 w/ the normal battery hold down strap like the orion will?

I must get packs this week as trying to get the car ready for Vegas

Thanks Tom
Old 08-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Should know more about these packs sometime tomorrow night.

No cattle jokes pleeeeeeeeeze...

Bill
I have 3 Orion 3600's that are very near end of capacity running 5 min mod. I picked up a IP3800 today that I will be testing over the weekend as well.

Bill...easy on the cows...they may join you on the drivers stand and do some Still Bill tipping if your not nice.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigoTC3fan

will the 3800 trinity fit in the tc5 w/ the normal battery hold down strap like the orion will?
I believe so. The Trinity pack is ROAR approved and provides great performance.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bigoTC3fan

I must get packs this week as trying to get the car ready for Vegas

Thanks Tom
The TC5 has plenty of room for up to a 5000 mah even. I just checked the thickness and it's within .005" of the Orion 3600. I believe the 3200 is same thickness .830" thick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.