R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   does locking the front diff help? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/231290-does-locking-front-diff-help.html)

Rufus2000 07-09-2008 08:50 PM

does locking the front diff help?

Hi, I'm wondering if locking the front diff does in fact provide a good alternative to a one way diff.
I've read somewhere that by using the one way you lose the front brakes, and that by adding a higher weight oil to the front diff you can basically lock it, which helps by giving you a bit of the one way diff action without losing your braking power.

I'd like to try this but which oil weight should I begin with for 1/10 onroad? Probably locking it completely would give a bit of handling issues so I'd be looking for a medium or relatively high viscosity. have you guys tried anything like this?

Yeti35 07-09-2008 09:44 PM

What car are you referring to that requires oil for the diffs? I am not aware of any electric TC that uses this. Spool is a good thing for asphalt and some claim for carpet as well. I run a spool in both my asphalt cars. Spool = locked diff.

a_main_attendee 07-09-2008 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Yeti35 (Post 4621518)
What car are you referring to that requires oil for the diffs? I am not aware of any electric TC that uses this. Spool is a good thing for asphalt and some claim for carpet as well. I run a spool in both my asphalt cars. Spool = locked diff.

*serpent s400*

This car has gear diffs. thats enough being a smartass for me. And yes, the spool is the hot asphalt setup.

I know a lot of people that prefer a spool to a one way as well.

tc3team 07-10-2008 01:39 AM

A tighter front diff can also help when using foams on a smaller, technical track :)

Rufus2000 07-10-2008 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Yeti35 (Post 4621518)

Its an HPI sprint2

I still have to open it to see if the gearbox is sealed otherwise I'm worried that the oil could leak out. On the exploded view it does show the spider gears inside the diff, and what looks like a ring or seal for the case so it probably is.

I recall reading someone said to use a 500,000 wt oil on their diff to lock it, but this was for a 1/8 buggy. could this work on 1/10?

shadow102 07-10-2008 04:38 PM

if you truely want to lock it and have it not be permanent go get some silly putty and stuff it in there it works great for gear diffs

UltegraSTI 07-10-2008 04:51 PM

depends on application really. review xray's setup guide for reference

R