R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   New car (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/231025-new-car.html)

rcwarrior1 07-08-2008 12:42 PM

New car

I am still looking for my first car. Would a XXX-s brushless rtr be a good choice to start with.

shadow102 07-08-2008 12:48 PM

what are you looking to do with the car?

rcwarrior1 07-08-2008 12:50 PM

1/10 touring someone told me about the losi jrxs type r but I am not trying to spend that much money until I make sure I like it I am gonna race it at the local track

YmeBP 07-08-2008 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by rcwarrior1 (Post 4615763)
1/10 touring someone told me about the losi jrxs type r but I am not trying to spend that much money until I make sure I like it I am gonna race it at the local track

xxx-s is a great choice to start, or the tc3 or tc4. The cyclone S rtr is another great choice as well. Smart to try it out on the lower end of the spectrum. All the above cars are tough and can be tuned to perform well enough they can also be upgraded and have great parts availability at low costs.

not home 07-08-2008 01:02 PM

but to start with a brushless car and race it? id say your spending all your money on the bl system that could be used in a better car and run in a stock class if you know what im saying.

shadow102 07-08-2008 01:03 PM

If your looking for a RTR go for the cyclone S...shameless plug but i have a JRXS Pro (predecessor to the type R) for sale for cheap

A. Rhodes 07-08-2008 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by not home (Post 4615792)
but to start with a brushless car and race it? id say your spending all your money on the bl system that could be used in a better car and run in a stock class if you know what im saying.

The RTR losi he's looking at comes with a BL set-up. For the $, this is an excellent choice to get into touring. The only downside is it comes with a 10.5 motor, and most track only run stock and 13.5. But still, only having to buy a 13.5 for $80, a couple packs & charger, $500 or so is not that bad to get into touring.

rcwarrior1 07-08-2008 01:16 PM

its 289 for the rtr

gijoe64 07-08-2008 01:43 PM

By far the Tamiya TA05 is the best entry level sedan for the beginner.:tire:

rcwarrior1 07-08-2008 02:33 PM

is the tc4 the next generation after the tc3 I went to associated and they did not list the tc3 just the 4 and 5

YmeBP 07-08-2008 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by rcwarrior1 (Post 4616034)
is the tc4 the next generation after the tc3 I went to associated and they did not list the tc3 just the 4 and 5

Yes the tc4 is after the tc3 and it's a tank, my son runs one it's fast competitive in stock and it can take a beating. Not only that there are direct upgrade parts to go to factory team with carbon fiber chassis and all.

I drive 2 jrxs type-R's and i used to drive the pro's i think the xxx-s is more durable than the r, or the pro for a beginner.

not home 07-08-2008 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by gijoe64 (Post 4615884)
By far the Tamiya TA05 is the best entry level sedan for the beginner.:tire:

:nod: yes

#88driver 07-08-2008 09:24 PM

i'm going to have to disagree with you guys and say the xxx-s isnt a good car. i would honestly say that you should start with a TA-05R for a few reasons.
1) cheap
2) durable
3) easy to setup
4) great for a begginer
after you get better, i would say move up to an X-Ray or a TC-5R

not home 07-08-2008 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by #88driver (Post 4617487)
i'm going to have to disagree with you guys and say the xxx-s isnt a good car. i would honestly say that you should start with a TA-05R for a few reasons.
1) cheap
2) durable
3) easy to setup
4) great for a begginer
after you get better, i would say move up to an X-Ray or a TC-5R

exactally, learn with the durable car first and clean up your driving and then buy the new xray or tamiya trf if one is out by then.

RedRocketRacing 07-08-2008 11:00 PM

If you are not looking to spend alot of money, do two things, first, look around the track and see what others are running, second, look at parts support for the track. Than go to the for sale thread and see what you can find that your local track supports and what the others racers might be able to help you with.

There is nothing wrong with the XXX-S except that everytime you might need a part, it will have to be ordered. The car more than 4 years past it's prime and been replaced by two other cars. Same wiht the TC3 and the TC4, yes there are parts for these cars but they are not going to be on the self at the track.

Onroad cars don't take a beating like offroads do, they hold up pretty well so spending the money on a used car is a pretty safe investment, and if you decide you are not going to stick with it you might still get most of your money back out of it, the XXX-S, well you just spent $300 buck and it is only worth about $100 if you sold it 3 months later, and that is not money for the car. Oh, yeah, it will take about 2 years to really even start to get the onroad thing so just stick with it, it is alot of fun the better you get.

RedRocket