Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spy Shot: New Brush to Brushless Motor dyno Converter Module

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Tech Adept

Default Spy Shot: New Brush to Brushless Motor dyno Converter Module

Here you go guys a innovative item I saw at a TCS event in Vancouver. On the pit bench Keith Yu was checking a Brushless motor with a regular brushed motor checker. But in between the motor and the outputs is a converter module. Here are some pics:

Alfred
Attached Thumbnails Spy Shot: New Brush to Brushless Motor dyno Converter Module-dsc00029.jpg   Spy Shot: New Brush to Brushless Motor dyno Converter Module-dsc00030.jpg   Spy Shot: New Brush to Brushless Motor dyno Converter Module-dsc00031.jpg  
Old 07-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

With out sensor?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Is this converter available?Where?
Thanks
Old 07-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orzel24
With out sensor?
Not all BL motors run sensors
Old 07-07-2008, 01:06 AM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Another similar tool

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...postcount=2535
Old 07-07-2008, 02:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nnick
I wish to have 1 like the Orca's, but hopefully just for sensored motors, rather that prototype from SP.
Just because i don't have SP esc then don't need it's ESC tuner function, just need a simple BL module converter to put working with my MM motor tester.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:22 AM
Tech Adept

from what I saw you do not need a sensor cable so it should be able to do sensored or sensor less motors. Also you do not need a speed control just your motor checker you used for brushed motors
Old 07-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can someone tell me the benefit of using one of these? I pretty much just use a temp gun for my tuning which is basically figuring out Gearing and timing.....
Old 07-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Guys, its just a speed controller. Its fixed at full throttle. All the controller does is convert the DC to the proper AC current a BL motor needs.

When the dyno increases or decreases the voltage, it directly changes the input to the "controller", which effects the motor. Its very simple, and i think its a great idea.

You could make this with any brushless speed controller, you would just have to have it at full throttle. You could easily do this with a Nitro's fail safe, instead of using your radio.

Cheers!
Old 07-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Why wouldn't you use use Novak's Sentry with the brushless harness? It calculates RPM from the Hall sensors.

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=5365/135.0
Old 07-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I am assuming this is only for Speed Passion motors ESC's but it looks nice...

I like seeing more tuning tools for brushless coming out....

Old 07-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Why wouldn't you use use Novak's Sentry with the brushless harness? It calculates RPM from the Hall sensors.

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=5365/135.0
I hope thats a good hall sensor for $15. My robotics team at my high school was using $50 ones to help us calculate distance in autonomous mode and they are by far the most bitchy things ever to set up. On top of it we were using gears twice the size spinning at 10,000 RPM. And we tested 4 of them we had and they all were missing teeth. I highly doubt the hall sensor on that Novak will be accurate... It might be close but I bet it will miss a few teeth... so a converter would be the best bet IMO.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RCSteve93
I hope thats a good hall sensor for $15. My robotics team at my high school was using $50 ones to help us calculate distance in autonomous mode and they are by far the most bitchy things ever to set up. On top of it we were using gears twice the size spinning at 10,000 RPM. And we tested 4 of them we had and they all were missing teeth. I highly doubt the hall sensor on that Novak will be accurate... It might be close but I bet it will miss a few teeth... so a converter would be the best bet IMO.
It's not a sensor it's just a Y harness

The hall sensors are already in the motor. $15 is expensive for a hall sensor, $50 is - . All sensored brushless motors have 3 hall sensors and they work over 50000 rpm fine and I bet they cost less than $1 each in small quantities.

Imho these devices are a waste of money. A brushless motor is only worth testing when used in conjunction with the esc. That device will not know how your esc drives different types of motors so it's info is not that usefull. I took the time to post my experience with dyno testing brushless here - http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...39#post4291139

I was hoping other people would take part in this but I guess I was being optimistic . I gave my old laptop to my sister so have not had much chance to do more testing but I'm looking at getting a new laptop anyday so will be back testing soon .
Old 07-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
I am assuming this is only for Speed Passion motors ESC's but it looks nice...
I like seeing more tuning tools for brushless coming out....
http://rctouring.eu/images/328_BA_small1.jpg
Here's what SP had mailed me:

We are proud to release the first brushless system analysis tools:

Brushless Analysis for brushless ESC and Motor:

This is a first brushless Analysis tools for R/C Car, R/C boat, R/C airplane
and R/C Helicopter

Feature:

Digital Brushless motor checker function

Brushless Analysis for ESC and Motor "Suitable for Speed Passion ESC, LRP,
Novak, GM, ESC
"

Brushless ESC - updates function for Speed Passion GT ESC series

Build in USB update able feature for Brushless Analysis
I want one .

Greetings Victor
Old 07-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JevUK
It's not a sensor it's just a Y harness

The hall sensors are already in the motor. $15 is expensive for a hall sensor, $50 is - . All sensored brushless motors have 3 hall sensors and they work over 50000 rpm fine and I bet they cost less than $1 each in small quantities.

Imho these devices are a waste of money. A brushless motor is only worth testing when used in conjunction with the esc. That device will not know how your esc drives different types of motors so it's info is not that usefull. I took the time to post my experience with dyno testing brushless here - http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...39#post4291139

I was hoping other people would take part in this but I guess I was being optimistic . I gave my old laptop to my sister so have not had much chance to do more testing but I'm looking at getting a new laptop anyday so will be back testing soon .
Doh, my bad I thought it was a hall sensor for the pinion. I worded that wrong too, It was $50 for 4 not $50 each. We had to use the robotics organizations sensors and they are way expensive. Good thing we get $3000 for equipment expenses per season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.