Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo Sack Under $10

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Lipo Sack Under $10

We have all seen the Lipo Sack selling at the LHS and online for $30+. Now I am all for supporting the LHS and some online places, but when you can get the same thing for under $10, I figured I would share the info w/ other racers.

We have all seen the Lipo Sack offered at the LHS and online:

After doing some quick searching, I found this fire resistant document bag:

Sure looks a lot like the Lipo Sack to me.

The document bag that I found sells for anywhere from $9.95 to $13, depending on the vendor. The cheapest place I have found it was here - http://www.colonialmedical.com/produ...roductid=20501.

With the rising price of gas, every little bit helps.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Tech Legend

Never seen one of those things being use yet ....
Old 07-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Some guys at my local track use the Lipo sack. Thanks for posting that link.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

It looks like someone (ROAR?, race organizers?) is going to have to figure out what is considered fire resistant enough to be called a LiPo sack.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
It looks like someone (ROAR?, race organizers?) is going to have to figure out what is considered fire resistant enough to be called a LiPo sack.
Good catch Rick, just because it says fire resistant does not mean its fire proof. I would not want ROAR to have an approved LIPO sack list but I would think track operators might want to know what's needed....
Old 07-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by A. Rhodes
We have all seen the Lipo Sack selling at the LHS and online for $30+. Now I am all for supporting the LHS and some online places, but when you can get the same thing for under $10, I figured I would share the info w/ other racers.

We have all seen the Lipo Sack offered at the LHS and online:

After doing some quick searching, I found this fire resistant document bag:

Sure looks a lot like the Lipo Sack to me.

The document bag that I found sells for anywhere from $9.95 to $13, depending on the vendor. The cheapest place I have found it was here - http://www.colonialmedical.com/produ...roductid=20501.

With the rising price of gas, every little bit helps.
Thanks for the link Andy, I'm really emjoying the "Sexual Well-Being" section....

Hope the wife will like it too.....
Old 07-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
Good catch Rick, just because it says fire resistant does not mean its fire proof. I would not want ROAR to have an approved LIPO sack list but I would think track operators might want to know what's needed....
Well according to ROAR, a Lipo Sack must be:

8.3.1.6.3 - All Lithium Polymer packs used for motor power must be charged inside a “Lipo Sack” or similar fire mitigation device proven to withstand a minimum of an 8.4v 5000mah Lithium Polymer pack failing destructively without showing external flame.

Now I highly doubt the people that make the document pouch detonated a lipo inside, but at the same time, are any of these types of bags tested from the inside? One would assume all types of fire resistant / proof bags are tested from the outside. These are designed to protect the contents on the inside from flames, not the other way around.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
Thanks for the link Andy, I'm really emjoying the "Sexual Well-Being" section....

Hope the wife will like it too.....
I figured you would be looking at the dialed wheelchairs old man
Old 07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Can't find it right now, but didn't Dawn of ROAR actually post a link to those exact bags as an alternative to the "Lipo Sack"? I believe it was in the thread that was announcing ROAR's approval of Lipos.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default lipo sack

seeing this thread has reminded me to ask someone in the fire and safety industry on a suitable item. When I get an answer, I will let everyone know. I believe in safety, but not paying ridiculous prices, specially when an item is marked up 150%.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default additional info

Originally Posted by MaxRain
seeing this thread has reminded me to ask someone in the fire and safety industry on a suitable item. When I get an answer, I will let everyone know. I believe in safety, but not paying ridiculous prices, specially when an item is marked up 150%.
Detailed Description
Fire Resistant Document Bag

Features:

Withstands Up To 1000 F
Holds Legal Size Documents
Protects Valuable Documents from Fire
Protect Your Property Deeds, Passports, Birth Certificates, Cash, Photos & More
It's like a fire safe for your important documents that you can't afford to lose. Fire Resistant Document Bag protects your valuable papers inside. Holds up to legal size documents like deeds, passports, birth certificates, cash and more. Fiber glass construction. 9" x 14 1/2"

Warning: Do not wash or immerse bag in liquid. The bag is made of fiber glass and may occasionally shed fibers during use. Make sure to wash hands after each use. This bag is not a substitute for a safe deposit box.
http://www.asseenontvguys.com/index....ROD&ProdID=317

A normal house fire is around 1000 to 1500 degrees. Being stored in something would give this bag a good fighting chance to survive a house fire.

Worth it? I think it would be.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MaxRain
Most anything sold for RC that comes from a non RC manufacturer is marked up like this. You ever compare prices for "body clips" vs "hairpin cotters" (the industrial term), or Silicone shock O-Rings?
Old 07-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Well the big brown truck came today w/ the fire resistant bag from the medical supply link I posted.

It is not an exact copy of the Lipo Sack, but it is very close. It is made out of a different type of material, more flexible and softer than the Lipo Sack.

The other difference is the top of the bag does not open and close like the Lipo Sack. The top is sealed on both sides, with a slot to insert items into the bag.