Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do my car rims keep breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 05:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Why do my car rims keep breaking?

My front 2 wheel rims keep breaking after 10 mins driving on the road. Is it because i turn too much or just hitting the curb too often . i use proline 1/10 rubber wheels and no matter what i do they just crack.. and the tires go over the edge!!!!!
Old 06-29-2008, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bosley
My front 2 wheel rims keep breaking after 10 mins driving on the road. Is it because i turn too much or just hitting the curb too often . i use proline 1/10 rubber wheels and no matter what i do they just crack.. and the tires go over the edge!!!!!
Well you kind of said it....if you hit the curbs you will break your wheels. Breakage is part of this hobby. You may want to try some different type of wheels that are a bit more durable.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Most important question, WHERE are the wheels breaking? Also, what kind of car are we talking about?

Have you adjusted your radio/steering servo end-points? This limits the steering to prevent the wheels/tire from touching suspension parts. It may be that you are hitting things too hard, or that the steering is going to far when you hit stuff, any combination of things, but where they are breaking will tell us more.

Are they breaking in the middle where the hex is, the outside edge, inside edge, etc...
Old 06-29-2008, 06:47 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Red face

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
Well you kind of said it....if you hit the curbs you will break your wheels. Breakage is part of this hobby. You may want to try some different type of wheels that are a bit more durable.

That's it ! If you hit things plan on breaking parts.
Look at it like this, you wouldn't expect to run your real car into something the size of a building (for comparison purposes) and not expect to break something, so why would you do the same thing with your RC and expect not to break some parts along the way ?

If you want to not break parts, don't hit things. If you want to keep running into things expect to come out with some damage as a result of the carnage. These cars are tough, but not that tough. Don't blame the car or be mad at the wheel company, blame yourself and only yourself.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:10 AM
H I
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Try use speed mind wheels. I’ve never broken those wheels yet. Another thing is you may be over tightening wheel nuts. And yeah, like others said stop hitting things.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

I agree with what has been said so far... if you hit things, you break things!

So how not to break things?
1. Drive better
2. Drive slower.
3. BOTH.
4. Drive somewhere else.

I believe these are the "true" solutions to your problem (they worked for me).
Getting "better" wheels aren't going to help much. A curb is very very very strong compared to a plastic wheel hub.

It doesn't matter what your camber is anymore, as soon as u nudge a curb. The curb changes a part of your wheel by 0.5 degrees, and any settings you made to the car are now utterly pointless.

That's my 2 cents anyway, from a street basher that use to run a 9T motor. Now I run a 19T motor, in a parking lot. My wheels are much safer now.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by H I
Try use speed mind wheels. I’ve never broken those wheels yet. Another thing is you may be over tightening wheel nuts. And yeah, like others said stop hitting things.
+1. Speedmind wheels are softer and more flexible, so never crack. Some brands of wheel are really firm and brittle, and break when you hit something. The purists will argue that you get better and more consistent drive from a hard wheel, as it doesn't deflect under load, thus absorbing some of your power. But unless you're a top racer, I'd go for longevity. Just squeeze the rims and see how flexible they are. Soft rims will deflect a lot, hard rims will not. I don't know personally about Proline, but I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that they're a hard rim. HTH.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

If you're using the more 'realistic' kit rims I've experienced that some are made from a hard/brittle plastic and are very prone to breaking apart at even 27t stock motor speeds. I've had two sets fall apart after what I thought was just a brush against a pvc pipe. I run only the nylon/flexible plastic type rims now and haven't had a problem with them breaking, yet.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

it doesn't matter at this point but the best rim IMO hands down was the Orion rim which is no longer made and we have all been using RP handouts for so long that we got away from mounting our own tire's. I too am curious to know what rims are durable and don't warp so easy. So far I know that xenon rim don't warp but they do crack fairly easy. Next up on my list to try might be the Yokomo rims or the speedmind rims.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
it doesn't matter at this point but the best rim IMO hands down was the Orion rim which is no longer made and we have all been using RP handouts for so long that we got away from mounting our own tire's. I too am curious to know what rims are durable and don't warp so easy. So far I know that xenon rim don't warp but they do crack fairly easy. Next up on my list to try might be the Yokomo rims or the speedmind rims.
I broke my share of Yokomo rims lol, but u know me, I cant drive LOL

I like sorex rims I think they were, I never broke any of those... Knock on wood
Old 06-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

The Excel rims i found are pretty good, they have a bit of flex in them and dont crack or snap. But any rim would break if u hit the wall hard enough
Old 07-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
I broke my share of Yokomo rims lol, but u know me, I cant drive LOL

I like sorex rims I think they were, I never broke any of those... Knock on wood
I don't really care for the sorex rims.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

The new Jaco Rubbers have flexible rims that do not break very easy at all too.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
I don't really care for the sorex rims.
I dont like any of them, they all cost me money

What are u using for the SWR cup?
Old 07-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Suspended

I've been using Gecko rims and tires this year, nice foams, and haven't broken a rim yet. http://www.geckotyres.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.