Wiki Posts
Search

TAMIYA F103 RM

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by [RC10TC]
What does this option part do for performance?
Tamiya 53259 3.5mm offset upright.
Thank you.
Makes the car less twitchy in long straights but takes away steering response.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Makes the car less twitchy in long straights but takes away steering response.
Wonder what Tamiya's thinking when they put a 0 offset knuckle in the original kit?

I think they should do it the other way round.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I hope this isn't something that has been discussed over and over again and I just missed it... but here goes.

I know people have mentioned the uneven wear on the fronts due to the positive camber... it is kinda driving me nuts thinking something is wrong, but I've heard its normal. My car works pretty well but I can see on the tires that I'm really only running on the outer 1/4 of the tires most of the time. Eventually this will wear and I'll have those coned tires people have mentioned. Doesn't this cause some handling/performance issues? How do you deal with it?

Car is new to me so I have no prior experience to draw on.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Some posts back, someone did mention the 3Racing front arms do allow camber adjustments. I'm not sure how it affects handling because I've never tried it. Of course they wouldn't be TAC legal.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

You can either just true them periodically or get this which will help some and is TCS legal..

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/Tamiya-Formul...mZ350163411723

Originally Posted by padailey
I hope this isn't something that has been discussed over and over again and I just missed it... but here goes.

I know people have mentioned the uneven wear on the fronts due to the positive camber... it is kinda driving me nuts thinking something is wrong, but I've heard its normal. My car works pretty well but I can see on the tires that I'm really only running on the outer 1/4 of the tires most of the time. Eventually this will wear and I'll have those coned tires people have mentioned. Doesn't this cause some handling/performance issues? How do you deal with it?

Car is new to me so I have no prior experience to draw on.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by stocker
Some posts back, someone did mention the 3Racing front arms do allow camber adjustments. I'm not sure how it affects handling because I've never tried it. Of course they wouldn't be TAC legal.
NOT TCS LEGAL: You can shave down the formed in spacers in the middle on the upper A arm assembly and by tightening the center down, with different shims in their place, change the camber angle. As the center pulls down further, the king pin holes move in ever so slightly. I've been able to get the -0.5 degree camber I really like for handling to work.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does anyone have a US source for the Chevron onboard camera? I really don't want to order across seas for such a small part. Thx!

Also - we are starting up a racing program in Huntington Beach in the parking lot at OCRC raceway. If anyone is in the area, it will begin next Saturday, March 7th 2009. Get there at 8am.

For more info check out: http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...ad-racing.html
Old 02-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by idwurks
Does anyone have a US source for the Chevron onboard camera? I really don't want to order across seas for such a small part. Thx!

Also - we are starting up a racing program in Huntington Beach in the parking lot at OCRC raceway. If anyone is in the area, it will begin next Saturday, March 7th 2009. Get there at 8am.

For more info check out: http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...ad-racing.html
Have you tried running an F103 on the test track yet ? Just curious if they hook up at all ....
Old 02-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
You can either just true them periodically or get this which will help some and is TCS legal..

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/Tamiya-Formul...mZ350163411723
The part you speak of (#53258) is NLA from Tamiya. I wonder what the difference is between it and the A arm kit from the F103GT #51244? Anybody know?
Old 02-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i was the one who said 3 racing makes the adjustable arms... why wouldnt they be legal?

the shim idea would not give a constant camber angle. the lower the suspension droops, the more camber. i dont think that would be wise. while turning, the outside wheel would be lower, increasing camber, losing contact patch.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

You can still find them...but not really easy. The GT parts are the same, except not everything you need is in that pack.
Originally Posted by 240Z
The part you speak of (#53258) is NLA from Tamiya. I wonder what the difference is between it and the A arm kit from the F103GT #51244? Anybody know?
Old 02-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by silverhkswrx
i was the one who said 3 racing makes the adjustable arms... why wouldnt they be legal?

the shim idea would not give a constant camber angle. the lower the suspension droops, the more camber. i dont think that would be wise. while turning, the outside wheel would be lower, increasing camber, losing contact patch.
3 Racing are made by 3 Racing. To be TCS legal, the part must come from Tamiya uncut, unmodified and out of the box assembled.

The "shim idea" is a proven theory for the stock out of the box fixed A arms. If you remove the 3 mm of plastic on the underside of the A arm and put the screws back in and tighten them all the way down, you'll get negative camber. The top and bottom arms should be touching now as the underside of the top A arm would be flat with the 2 nubs cut flush. About -2 degrees I think. By adding shims back in 1 or .5 mm increments you add positive camber back to the car. I stop adding shims when I reach .5 Degree of negative camber. An untreated A arm setup from Tamiya already has positive camber, so no, I would not shim one as out of the box they already roll on the outside of the tires.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ben.C
Wonder what Tamiya's thinking when they put a 0 offset knuckle in the original kit?

I think they should do it the other way round.
that upright design was a carryover from earlier F1 chassis, so they were thinking cheap
Old 02-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
that upright design was a carryover from earlier F1 chassis, so they were thinking cheap

Typical capitalistic thinking...!! Way a go Tamiya!! Cheaper parts for us!

My local TCS is starting in another 2 weeks time!! We finally have the F1 class back this year!! Can't wait.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Hi from NZ

Hello fellow F103RM addicts

Just wanted to say hi and how enjoyable it was reading the posts.

I race a F103RM in New Zealand where we have just had our National Champs.... geographically its a little bit of a challenge getting around NZ we didnt get too many drivers from down south but 12 cars were entered and a great time had by all.

Have especially enjoyed the photos of everyones rides WOW have I got some work to do !

Seems there are different rules down here Li Pos arent legal down here yet looks like from most of the posts we are a little stuck for motors too as we run 27turns. Apart from that it all looks pretty familiar.

Cheers Si

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.