Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAMIYA F103 RM

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just received my Benetton Renault B195 body set. Man it's so pretty, almost a shame to paint. I think it's going to be a shelf queen.

The new pics of the F103R a great! Can't wait to order one...
Old 10-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rogier
I just received my Benetton Renault B195 body set. Man it's so pretty, almost a shame to paint. I think it's going to be a shelf queen.

The new pics of the F103R a great! Can't wait to order one...
That is the best looking Benetton in my opinion. I remember when I did mine, the stickers where rough to say the least. I had a bitch of a time with the airbox.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (96%+)

I need ESC, servo and battery advice. I plan on running this car with the stock motor it came with in the kit. I dont want to spend too much on a servo or ESC. Can someone recommend me any? I also would like a decent battery. Links would be great for everything. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vyger
Beautiful Benettons! I just realized those were hanging on your wall. They look huge up there.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S
I need ESC, servo and battery advice. I plan on running this car with the stock motor it came with in the kit. I dont want to spend too much on a servo or ESC. Can someone recommend me any? I also would like a decent battery. Links would be great for everything. Thanks!
Well, "too much" is sort of a relative term. So I'm not sure what your wallet will allow. I put some links below of the items I've purchased or what I'm planning on purchasing.

You should keep in mind the F103 was designed to fit a standard size servo, so a stock Futaba S3003 would work. But that has plastic gears and doesn't have allot of speed. You don't need a ton of torque but a little more doesn't hurt.

Servo
S9602 Mini, high speed, high torque
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...H=Futaba+S9602

Standard S3003
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXH288&P=ML

The ESC is sort of tricky. You don't want something huge mounted up in the confines of the limited space available for your radio gear. I'd suggest looking for something with a small footprint. Depending how you mount the shock will also limit or expand the space in this area. I'm not sure if your looking for something with reverse or not but I put a standard and a reversible for you.

ESC
Reversible
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLTY2&P=7

Standard
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSFL8&P=7

Regarding battery choices, the F103 chassis will accommodate any six cell pack. You can use a standard six cell preassembled pack or a higher end race pack. You just need to be careful how you solder your wires on and the size of the battery bars. I would strongly suggest a Lipo pack. Yes, they cost more but your run time will be longer. Plus they mount up really well in the chassis.

Battery
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...lipo+batteries

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSNE0&P=ML

I hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The ESC you buy really depends on what you're planning on running. If you're going to keep the stocker or something a little hotter then I'd go with the LRP Runner Reverse. I think it's rated to 18 turns. I've got one in my crawler and the main reason I'd suggest it for this application is that its tiny. Its also waterproof if you happen to decide to take your F1 racing in the rain...LOL
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKYX5&P=7
Old 10-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by over gear
i'm lost... so how many different F103 are there now? including the soon to be released 15th anni edition....
Not to worry. From the very first F101 to the anniversary edition you could say they are all F103's with different upgrades. You could pretty much change out parts from one to another and build every version they have. 103's and all the versions of it (RS for example ) are very good racers. As for the Japanese clones such as the Cross...the new one is good. Tech racing...very cool car with nice hopups included. Chevron, mostly a conversion for 103's but very nice. Top of the list though is the MLP V103. Not a conversion but built from the ground up to win. Very Very trick car with all the right stuff already there.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (96%+)

Thanks for the help and links. I will look through them more later and make a decision.

What turn is the stock motor that comes with the kit? Is the black motor from Tamiya better or worse then the stock one? Also, is it ok to run Lipo with stock motors? Do you need a certain ESC to allow Lipo?
Old 10-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

http://myworld.ebay.com/associatedelectrics/ LRP Quantum reverse ESC's at a blow out price. I'm using 3 of these little guys, and they work flawlessly. They don't have Lipo cutoff though, but well worth the price.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:53 AM
Tech Addict

That is the best looking Benetton in my opinion. I remember when I did mine, the stickers where rough to say the least. I had a bitch of a time with the airbox.

WOW!! Stunning cars!! I can't wait to get mine done. I will post pics when ready. I just managed to buy FW-18 bodyset on Ebay for just $52....
Old 10-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

52 BUCKS!!!! That's a deal! Wanna sell it to me for 55? Damn where is everyone finding these Tamiya body's so cheap. I'm always looking and paying two to three time more.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

52 BUCKS!!!! That's a deal! Wanna sell it to me for 55? Damn where is everyone finding these Tamiya body's so cheap. I'm always looking and paying two to three time more.
Patience is the keyword I assume... I'm not selling it.. Maybe if you're willing to pay 3 times more... lol.
I actually found the FW18 in the States.... And it's comming to Europe now!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have (2) FW18's sitting in my garage waiting for a new F1 chassis.
Looking forward to getting the 15th anniversary edition.

I"ve got these bodies sitting around around as well:
Attached Thumbnails TAMIYA F103 RM-f1-williams-f24-b.jpg   TAMIYA F103 RM-f1-williams-side.jpg   TAMIYA F103 RM-f1mclaren.jpg   TAMIYA F103 RM-f1-ligier-body.jpg  
Old 10-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rc-zombies

I"ve got these bodies sitting around around as well:
funny how easy it is to go off people, dont ya think?

Old 10-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by hobbipro
http://myworld.ebay.com/associatedelectrics/ LRP Quantum reverse ESC's at a blow out price. I'm using 3 of these little guys, and they work flawlessly. They don't have Lipo cutoff though, but well worth the price.
im searching for a lipo esc that works with the brushed motors (10 turn tamiya transpeed MS), all those on that shop don't

you know any that would do it?

tamiya volac MS doesnt state lipo compatible or not . . . . . . . do you know if they work with lipo?

thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.