which radio is better?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

which radio is better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 05:52 PM
Tech Regular

Neither of the radios you are speaking of are of poor quality, they are both the best in their class by each mfg. In fact, they are two of the top radios made, I know a few that might toss Multiplex intot he mix, but that is another story altogether. Find a place you can get both radios in your hand and see which is more comfortable for you, the electronics at this point are going to be top notch.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Which is what I believe I said in the first place....
Old 08-26-2003, 09:52 PM
Tech Regular

Grizzbob Which is what I believe I said in the first place....
I know you did, it just seems he is far too concerned with what other people think then what the radio may actually feel like in his paw. Having recently made a similiar mistake, not trying before buying, I can't stress enough the need to see how they feel before spending hard earned cash.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

I know, & you're right, was just ribbing ya....
Old 08-27-2003, 08:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

cHckbOY5
how did your xs3 break
Old 08-27-2003, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

it was an xr3... my bro broke the plastic support when u turn the wheel
Old 08-28-2003, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Go with the KO. Fasttrak is right. Find people that have the radio that you are concidering and take a look at it. Does it feel good? Does it have the features that you are looking for? Only you can make the judgement that feels the best. Ask some people why did they chose that particular radio. I ask why people use the M-8 and they say because everyone else is. That is the wrong choice to make. You should feel comfortable. You are the customer.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:51 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by KO PROPO Staff
Go with the KO. Fasttrak is right. Find people that have the radio that you are concidering and take a look at it. Does it feel good? Does it have the features that you are looking for? Only you can make the judgement that feels the best. Ask some people why did they chose that particular radio. I ask why people use the M-8 and they say because everyone else is. That is the wrong choice to make. You should feel comfortable. You are the customer.
If you are on the Ko Propo staff, why not smack those folks around a bit and remind them that not everyone is right handed or want to be forced into using a right handed transmitter Kinda sucks not even worrying about what Ko has available or never getting the chance to pilfer Burch's custom setup. Hmmm, tell em to brake out the mold they used for Ralph, and offer up a couple sets of them in left handed.
Old 08-29-2003, 05:16 PM
Tech Regular

is there any guys using the mars r? and do u like it , is it comforable, and is the screen big enough?

any info would be appricated.

thanks
Old 09-02-2003, 01:11 AM
Tech Regular

I have used almost all the models from KO since 12years ago...
The EX1, EX2, EX5, EX7, EX9, EX10 (old one) new EX1, precious EX1, EX1 mars, EX1 2000R, EX1 mars R, EX11, even the prefex comes with the Mini-Z...
But I wanted to change to 3PK.....
I like KO because I have used to its feeling... heavy acceleration... heavy steering.. FULL of function (since the old EX10...) even most of them you will never touch it..
After I have tried the 3PK... things turned down.... I think I can easily have 1/2 second faster in a 11 seconds track, if I get used to it....
Now I still stick to my EX1... because I know how long I need to get use with another radio.. it may cost another 12 years!!!
So think seriouly before you pick your first radio.....
Old 09-02-2003, 02:23 AM
Tech Master

I used to really want the 3PK, but I've since changed. The thing that I don't particularly like about Futaba radios is the limited brake throw on the trigger.
For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, I'll reference Traxxas' crappy old radio TQ, or something like that, which had two different trigger positions, 50/50 and 70/30. 50/50 meaning that the trigger had equal movement in both acceleration and braking directions, while 70/30 had more movement on the acceleration side whereas the braking throw had less movement. Futaba radios are like this....

I absolutely love the fit and feel of the Futaba, especially the menus, tons of features, and the drop-down adapter that is standard... but the decreased amount of brake throw on the trigger just feels wrong. For that reason alone, I don't think I will be getting the 3PK.

I presently use a Hitec Lynx3D. It isn't the best, but it is good enough that I don't complain about the radio in my head as I drive, and I'm not big on radio functions (as I feel many, many other things and adjustments will achieve better results than fussing with tiny details on my radio), but it is getting old. It wasn't the best made, and a good drop would split the bendy plastic in half so I will shortly need a replacement. But as I tried to drive other cars for people reffering to me for help, I changed my mind about wanting the Futaba, because the driving style I use has me braking a lot and doing very strange things that no one else does on the brakes (I make a whole new meaning to taking a different driving line, at least at my track) but seeing as I'm the Hawaiian State Champ, it works (at least it did this weekend).

So I'm just saying that an unlooked detail such as the trigger position could have me unsatisfied with a really expensive radio. Since the EX-1 Mars had that drop down accesory as an option, I'll probably get the Helios and pray for it to be released because the trigger thing is more important to me.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:19 PM
Tech Regular

There is a brake function on my radio?

Old 09-03-2003, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Fasttrak
If you are on the Ko Propo staff, why not smack those folks around a bit and remind them that not everyone is right handed or want to be forced into using a right handed transmitter Kinda sucks not even worrying about what Ko has available or never getting the chance to pilfer Burch's custom setup. Hmmm, tell em to brake out the mold they used for Ralph, and offer up a couple sets of them in left handed.
We have had many request for the left handed radio but not enough to go into production. Ralph Burch's radio was not made from a mold, but by hand. Every radio that was made this way for him is signed and dated by the person who made it. Truely a limited edition radio. I have even asked how much something like this would cost if money was no object (and we have been offered this before) and it was in the ballpark of at least $1000.00 and they still would not do it. Sorry.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

hey guys.. ive held both radios... and since i dont have huge monster hands.. i like the way EX-1 Mars R fits in my hand. (reminds of the glove that nintendo came out with! oooo breaking out the old school!!) i have the wheel extender and tamiya tire adapter. i actually have a 1/10 scale tire on there. (if you guys want a picture.. let me know) It's paired up with a Ko digital servo and VFS-2000 esc.. and the performance is flawless. the Mars R is very compact and light. you can either use regular AA's or a battery pack that you can buy from Ko. (I'm not sure about the issues someone brought up earlier about the 3PK and batteries) if you are worried about quality, dont be! Ko has the best quality radios... i busted the trigger on mine (heavy trigger finger! ) and they fixed it for a very small fee and their service was very fast!

my two cents is that if you have bigger hands.. go with the 3PK. Both have similar features and it'll take you awhile to learn all of them anyways. if you want a compact radio... you cant go wrong with the Mars R. in fact, you cant go wrong with anything Ko.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:21 AM
Tech Master

KO PROPO Staff, will the Helios have the option of the drop-down adaptor that the Mars had? I guess I should hop down to KO's site some time... but, I don't feel like it- too lazy .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.