R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-25-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Brushed Motor Tuning Tips

Hello, iam curious about brushed motor tuning tips. Mainly for Oval (Dirt,Carpet) and Carpet Touring Cars, Ive read the RC Motor Black Book on Hobbytalk already: http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=126994.
Since that is kinda old, iam wondering if there are any newer articles that i can read up on tuning brushed motors. Or any tips or tricks to tuning these motors. Iam working on getting a comm lathe and dyno soon, hince why i am asking these questions.

Hobby Sport Media
hrnts69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC Dad

For on-road or oval racing I'd run the lightest springs you can for max RPMs. It helps on some motors to drill the brushes as well. There are some scientific benefits to the magnetic fields etc from doing this but basically it reduces the brush contact surface area on the comm which means they'll stay seated with less spring pressure.

There are many racers who cut or dremel the brushes to change the timing, but IMO this is only changing the dwell (in automotive terms) which is the amount of time the power flows through the brushes (points). It also reduces the contact patch, allowing lighter springs, as will grooving the brushes. Regardless of the explanation, through experimentation I have been able to get 3000+ extra RPMs from Co27 motors by doing this. Mod motors seem to require more spring pressure than stocks. Experiment with different brushes as well as each motor responds differently.

As in all racing, it's wise to buddy up with the local fast guys and get them to share a tip or two each race day.
GV2 Pro, XXX4G+, Blitz SCT, CRC GenXL
RC Dad is offline   Reply With Quote