Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intellect hard case 3800 25c lipo

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For the record... the IB4600's have been pretty solid. I haven't had any durability issues, or blowing up issues with them. I haven't been able to try the new lipo's yet, but I'm sure they are a solid product if Travis Schreven TQ'd the super stock class at paved nats with them.

-Korey

Last edited by Korey Harbke; 06-25-2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: tyyypo
Old 06-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by schurcr
If their round cells are any indication of what their lipo's will be like I'd sure as hell wouldn't wan to pit next to anyone charging a set.

There's a reason why they are cheap. Cheap lipos are usually cheap because they use inferior cathode materials and/or inferior cathode manufacturing processes. The horror story lipos we used to see regularly were cheap chinese batteries made with inferior materials and manufacturing processes. They've already proven they can build a volitale NiMH so now they want to try lipo. What a joke!!!

I really don't think its a good idea for the roar competition director to endorse or speak poorly about a product that is on the roar approval list. Are your approval standards sub par? Does this product use inferior materials. Is it a poor manufacturing process?? Do you know the answer to these questions??

I didn't think so..............but people will read "roar competition director" in your signiture and assume you know what your talking about........when in this case you have no proof to back up your statement.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Tech Addict

Posts like that are what I don't like about ROAR. Cheaper prices do not always equate to a lesser product. Id like to see the proof that these new Intellect Lipos are inferior and dangerous before somone in such a position claims it to be true. And cmon lets get real hear...the Chinese have been manufacturing our batteries forever.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WhoMe
Posts like that are what I don't like about ROAR. Cheaper prices do not always equate to a lesser product. Id like to see the proof that these new Intellect Lipos are inferior and dangerous before somone in such a position claims it to be true. And cmon lets get real hear...the Chinese have been manufacturing our batteries forever.
+1 I'm glad the tracks I race on don't require roar memberships.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Well said Josh H and Whome!

Maybe they are just good lipos without the $50.00 Team/Company sticker on them.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All is well now.

Corinator

Last edited by Corinator; 06-26-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think everyone should just calm down a minute. Ruben is a decent guy, and one that I've had very good experiences with in the past. I don't think that we should jump to conclusions right off the bat.

It was a well known fact that intellect has had some issues in the past with the durability of their cells, but they have been pushing to get a more user friendly and safer cell on the market. The recent batches of cells have been great in my opinion.

There is a lot to be said about quality control as well... The stuff submitted to roar by manufactures may be a good product that passes tech. But we all know that isn't always the case with the mass produced items. Improper care of certain kinda of batteries can lead to safety hazards as well (overcharging, not storing properly, ect...).

But... that was just my two cents...

-Korey Harbke

Last edited by Korey Harbke; 06-25-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Tech Initiate

All is well now.

Corinator

Last edited by Corinator; 06-26-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Tech Master

3800mah? are they serious? LOL.

Thanks but I think i'll stick with the 4000+ hardcase that I can get from this side of the pond.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I personally will not be using them because of the experiences I had with their cellls in my cars and on my chargers last year, I'm not saying that a bad batch can't come from anywhere but they already have a bad track record with me and they were totally unwilling to help out even when I had new packs go up... Just my experience.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If their round cells are any indication of what their lipo's will be like I'd sure as hell wouldn't wan to pit next to anyone charging a set.

There's a reason why they are cheap. Cheap lipos are usually cheap because they use inferior cathode materials and/or inferior cathode manufacturing processes. The horror story lipos we used to see regularly were cheap Chinese batteries made with inferior materials and manufacturing processes. They've already pr oven they can build a volatile NiMH so now they want to try lipo. What a joke!!!
Sorry guys ..... didn't mean to offend anyone. I will be more thoughtful in the future. We all have our moments and guess this was mine, open mouth insert foot.

As a racer and someone who has a good understanding of lipo batteries now just remember not all cells are created equal. In the current world of lipo technology high quality lipo cells typically aren't produced in China. I guess when I look at cells I want something that's going to last and give me what it's rated for over an extended period of time. Is that 100, 200, 500 or even 1000 cycles? It's different for everyone. I just know that many of the cells that are on the market although they perform excellent out of the box and give what they are rated at they won't for long. This is where the "not all cells are created equal" comes in. I just don't want what happened in the NiMh cell industry to happen in Lipo. Lipo's are great technology and we as racers should see a great value in this technology.

Once again my apologies to anyone that I offended. My posting was that of my own personal opinions and not that of anyone else or of any entity, and as we all know we all have opinions and we all know our's don't stick ..lol... happy racing guys.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Corinator ... I did not rip the Yeah racing packs, I meerly stated they were not ROAR approved, nor have the been submitted for ROAR approval and gave my personal experience as a race director with these batteries. There are many tracks that depend on ROAR insurance for the survival and the use of non ROAR approved product causing an injury could be a serious liability to a track, buisness, person or even city.

Cheap lipos are a concern and they should be to everyone in racing. We've already seen what happened in the avionics side of RC without approved lipos and the dangers of cheap inferior packs. Consumers need to understand the differences in cell construction and what makes the $$$$ difference in good and lower quality lipo cell construction.

To state and I quote you here "I bet he's as corrupt as a bureaucrat. He probably gets free stuff to pass some company's product and to knock other products" is the biggest joke I've ever heard. In some ways I guess I deserve the lashing I took from a couple of you and I've appologized, but to attack my perssonal charecter and integrity thats a little above and beyond. But I guess it's to be expected. I have absoultly nothing to do with the approvals process. I don't even get a notification when new products are approved. I learn the same way you guys do, watching the approval lists and I didn't even realize that the IP lipos were there until someone said here. Yes I did see the pack this past weekend and never put it together.

BTW ..... battery and motor approvals are not done by ROAR. The product approvals are done by third partty labs so that claims and accusations such as the ones Corinator made have no validity what so ever.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Initiate

You are right about my over reaction. I do realize I should not have attacked your character. That was just what put me over the edge. I have just seen so many people get turned away from this hobby when they are told all cheaper products are garbage. It's the same sort of thing with the asian car makers.

I deeply apologize for the personal attack. I was just angry. I don't expect for you to forgive me, nor do I deserve to be forgiven. I just lost it.

Corinator
Old 06-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Corinator
You are right about my over reaction. I do realize I should not have attacked your character. That was just what put me over the edge. I have just seen so many people get turned away from this hobby when they are told all cheaper products are garbage. It's the same sort of thing with the asian car makers.

I deeply apologize for the personal attack. I was just angry. I don't expect for you to forgive me, nor do I deserve to be forgiven. I just lost it.

Corinator
Appology accepted, and you don't need my forgivness, we've all made our mistakes in life, some big some small. Learning from our mistakes is what seperates us from the neanderthals. Just race and enjoy yourself and remember we do this for the fun of it.

YGPM
Old 06-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Tech Regular

As a racer and someone who has a good understanding of lipo batteries now just remember not all cells are created equal. In the current world of lipo technology high quality lipo cells typically aren't produced in China.
I believe SMC's cells are made in China. I think it would be hypocritical to say that Chinese cells are of poor quality when many of the ROAR approved R/C car companies' repackaged packs consist of lipo cells designed and manufactured in China. Often times the only difference between a ROAR approved pack and a "no-name" brand is a higher price and a fancier sticker.
Like this (posted earlier by PaintingRoly):
http://www.teamtrinity.com/shop/item.asp?item=TRI20620

Cheap lipos are a concern and they should be to everyone in racing. We've already seen what happened in the avionics side of RC without approved lipos and the dangers of cheap inferior packs. Consumers need to understand the differences in cell construction and what makes the $$$$ difference in good and lower quality lipo cell construction.
The flip side of this argument is that in the R/C airplane hobby, there no restrictions as to what can and can't be used so hobbyists can find the quality packs for the best price. It's unfortunate that the approved packs are - in my experience - sometimes double the price of unapproved lipo packs that have equivalent or better cells. One of the biggest issues I have is that most R/C car companies refuse to disclose their cell manufacturer and make it very difficult for the buyer to make an educated decision. With many of the non-car specific packs, the cell manufacturer is plainly advertised, making it very easy to identify the good packs from those of questionable quality.

Having said that, I'm simply glad that Lipo packs have made it to mainstream racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.