R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #16
Tech Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to rcwarrior1
Default Tools

What tools do I need to go to the track.
rcwarrior1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to rcwarrior1

rcwarrior1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:54 PM   #18
Tech Master

LHS probably has that info & local clubs. Major track look into ROAR Websight, Follow Region for the East Coast.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:07 AM   #19
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcwarrior1 View Post
What tools do I need to go to the track.
You are asking all the right questions, but i'd suggest you come out to the diamond (i'll be there this evening w/ a buddy and my son practicing i drive a black malibu and run a losi car w/ a purple body) and watch, come out on race day to any track and you will find a deal on used equipment and you can ask experienced hobbyists their opinion.

Then i would suggest going to G-force hobby shop (the local shop for blue diamond) and looking around for used or consignment car packages. That way you can see and touch what you are buying. When you are new to the hobby it is difficult differentiating a good buy from someone trying to pawn off their beat up crap on you. If you go to a hobby shop you at least have someone to go back and yell at if what you got wasn't what you thought you were going to get.

Lastly my suggestions as to what to invest money in up front:

1) A good charger, this will last you through your hobby, buy quality up front. Even if you decide you don't like it most good charges have a decent resale value. Suggestions are duratrax ice (nimh lipo) and competition electronics gfx (does nimh and lipo but some models do not have upgrade be careful buying used as there are many models of competition electronics chargers that look similar
2) a good radio. This is critical, your radio is going to be with you through your hobby, spend the money on a good solid radio and you will have it for multiple models. Suggestions, Futaba 3/4pk w/ Spektrum or fasst, airtonics m8/m11 w/ Spektrum or 2.4ghz, Spektrum DX3r, Ko-Pro EX10, JR R-1 etc.

The rest changes w/ time and get what is at your skill level as far as battery car motor etc.

i can't speak as confidently about nitro but the same kinda holds true, you need a good starter box, a good radio and a good charger to charge your receiver and starter box batteries. The rest, choose based on your skill level and personal preference.

A good metric or standard hex kit (depends on the screws your car uses), losi and integey sell decent ones for a reasonable price you can also pick them up at home depot etc.

A camber gauge, and a ride height gauge, a decent soldering iron (hakko sells one targeted to rc'ers), a good set of standard or metric nut drivers (integy losi associated sell reasonably priced sets) and a good pair of needle nose pliers, and a phillips and flat head screw driver is really the basics of what you need.

The car
Personal preference, my suggestion is get a tc3 or losi xxx-s or a cyclone s. They are all great cars really tough and parts are readily available you can find them cheap both new and used. You can hop them up as your skills increase w/o breaking the bank and there are plenty of racers who run them to get help from both on the forum and at the tracks. The tc3 has parts at just about every hobby shop hehe i wouldn't be surprised if walmart had them ahhaha.

While this hobby can be expensive it doesn't have to be, you don't need to spend the mortgage on it to have fun. To be competitive at higher levels it does get a little costly but nothing can replace skill , practice and a good setup ! I started out back 20+ years ago w/ a second hand grasshopper i drilled out the tub on, put some rubber tubing in for the shocks and put foam tires on and i ran at the local parking lot races every sunday until i could afford to buy a better car. I didn't win but man did i have a good time and here i am 20+ years later still rc'ing and getting my kids into the hobby.
www.skyrocketracing.com quality RC gear!
http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-forum/555071-2011-skyrocket-invitational-blue-diamond-raceway-october-15-16-a.html <- Great race!
YmeBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
Also, if you are new to the hobby, resist the urge to buy "the best" of everything, support a local club if they have a low budget class.

Too many newcomers are put off by the high cost of rc, you don't need to have a good time racing by spending loads of $ if you have the right attitude and outlook of racing
That is awesome advice. And I also think you are 100% correct.
BlueDiamondR/C is offline   Reply With Quote