Wiki Posts
Search

Awesome 13.5!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Awesome 13.5!

Hey all. I got a quick question.... Which 13.5 brushless do you guys think is the best performer? I would like something with lots of torque and punch so that I can gear it up higher than usual... I was considering a Novak ss 13.5 but I would like to know what everyone else thinks. I will be running this motor with a speed passion GT. Thanks in advance for the input!

Michael
Old 05-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Well I can tell you from a quality and assembly standpoint, that the new LRP Vector X11 Stock Spec motors are the best 13.5 Brushless motors I've seen to date.

I recently disassembled and compared the following motors: (in order of my opinion of the quality of the motor)

LRP Vector X11 Stock Spec
Novak SS13.5 Pro
Speed Passion 13.5/27T
Losi Xcelorin 13.5
Hacker E40 17.5 (same motor as the Losi, wired instead of plug)

If in doubt, I don't think you can go wrong with the tried and true Novak SS motors.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by kn7671
Well I can tell you from a quality and assembly standpoint, that the new LRP Vector X11 Stock Spec motors are the best 13.5 Brushless motors I've seen to date.

I recently disassembled and compared the following motors: (in order of my opinion of the quality of the motor)

LRP Vector X11 Stock Spec
Novak SS13.5 Pro
Speed Passion 13.5/27T
Losi Xcelorin 13.5
Hacker E40 17.5 (same motor as the Losi, wired instead of plug)

If in doubt, I don't think you can go wrong with the tried and true Novak SS motors.

Does the LRP motor have a nickel plated rotor? From what I understand nickel plating the rotor gives you better operating temps and has more torque. (correct me if I'm wrong) How does the LRP compare as far as gearing compared to the novak?
Old 05-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Tech Champion

Glad to hear that...I have one coming in to run with my new Tekin RS At least until the Redline 13.5 comes out
Old 05-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I have run the following motors with Touring Car, Stock, Rubber on Asphalt.

Speedo's: Speedpassion GT LPF V1.1, LRP Sphere Comp TC, and Novak GTB.
Rating from me.
1. Speedpassion - reason I like this best is due to ease of adjustability.
2. LRP Sphere
3. Novak - reason I like this least is adjusting is complicated and I need instructions every time.

Motors:
Speedpassion 13.5 is fastest but not as tourquie
Novak 13.5 is very tourquie but not as fast
never tried LRP

just my 2 cents...
Old 05-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

i run the lrp 17.5 motor and it has plenty of torque so you can gear it pretty high to get a decent top speed out of it
Old 05-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by keepitmovin504
i run the lrp 17.5 motor and it has plenty of torque so you can gear it pretty high to get a decent top speed out of it
Thanks everyone for the input! It sounds to me like the Novak ss13.5 would suit me best, still interested in the LRP motor though... Does it have a nickel plated rotor? You'll know because it has what looks like a chrome finish. Anyone?
Old 05-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HUCKMAN
Does the LRP motor have a nickel plated rotor? From what I understand nickel plating the rotor gives you better operating temps and has more torque. (correct me if I'm wrong) How does the LRP compare as far as gearing compared to the novak?
The new rotor is black, but with nickel plated sintered magnet, just like the Novak. The new LRP rotor has a large diameter bearing on both ends, Novak only on the pinion end.

As for gearing, couldn't tell you, I just got my LRP motors. I think the gearing will be similar to Novak.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

The new rotor is black, but with nickel plated sintered magnet, just like the Novak. The new LRP rotor has a large diameter bearing on both ends, Novak only on the pinion end.

As for gearing, couldn't tell you, I just got my LRP motors. I think the gearing will be similar to Novak.

How do you know if the motor is a new release? I bought a trinity duo about 2 months ago and they already have a new release according to the website... I don't want to buy a motor off the shelf of my local hobby shop only to get it home and discover that it's a old release. How do I know the difference between the old LRP motor and the new LRP motor???
Old 05-22-2008, 03:14 AM
Tech Master

How do you know if the motor is a new release? I bought a trinity duo about 2 months ago and they already have a new release according to the website... I don't want to buy a motor off the shelf of my local hobby shop only to get it home and discover that it's a old release. How do I know the difference between the old LRP motor and the new LRP motor???
In the case of the LRP motors, the Vector X11's motors have two versions. There are a number of differences between the two. The easiest way to tell is the label. One has Blue lettering on the label, and the new one has Red lettering, but also states "Stock Spec". Another new feature is the colored timing rings.

As for how you know what motors are new and old, you have to research and pay attention to the boards and various websites. A good website that posts new info on products is www.redrc.net. In this case you can go straight to the manufacturers website and read about the motors.

http://www.teamassociated.com/lrp/motors_vector.htm
Old 05-22-2008, 04:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Is this the new DUO you were referring to? If so, that is a fine looking motor! That blows away that cookie cutter Feigao looking thing they were selling. I have to believe that Trinity is going to be on top of the brushless game before long, and maybe these new DUO's are the start of it? I know they're not happy being pretty much the standard in brushed and an afterthought in brushless.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jla8874
Is this the new DUO you were referring to? If so, that is a fine looking motor! That blows away that cookie cutter Feigao looking thing they were selling. I have to believe that Trinity is going to be on top of the brushless game before long, and maybe these new DUO's are the start of it? I know they're not happy being pretty much the standard in brushed and an afterthought in brushless.
fyi thats a feiago motor , feiago makes them for trinity and trinity puts on their label
Old 05-22-2008, 06:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Really? Good for Feigao then. Looks like they're movin up in the world. That looks like the same can Speed Passion is using on their Comp 2.0 mod motors.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The new LRP needs to be geared much taller than the novak for comparable performance. For comparison I had to gear up 6T on by buggy for comparable performance and go from a 5.5 to 4.5 in my TA car. The motor does run hotter than the Novak and will overheat if under geared too far. When geared properly I found it to have comparable performance to the Novak.

Mark
Old 05-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Tech Champion

What is a good temp range to run the LRP at?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.