R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Lets talk shocks....... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/223847-lets-talk-shocks.html)

srp67 05-26-2008 03:13 PM

Lets talk shocks.......

As I stroll all the posts here on rc tech I see a lot of helpful things, but the one thing I dont remember ever seeing was tips on building shocks. Of all the stuff that go`s into building and maintaining our cars (be it 1/10,1/12,1/8 or any other scale) the thing that just makes me cringe is rebuilding shocks.:flaming::flaming: I run Xray cars and I have followed the instructions to a T and can never get them right. Maybe I`m holding my mouth wrong while I put them together I don`t know, but two bottles of oil and 5 lbs. of oil dry later(8 shocks) I just give up and leave them at 100% rebound. Now I know the Xray shocks do bleed down as you use them and in the second qualifer they are right where I wanted them from the start. So back to the topic of the thread let`s talk shocks, you know any tips, tricks, or advice would be greatly appereciated I hope I`m not the only one out there with this problem.

Thanks,

Steve P.

K_King 05-26-2008 04:00 PM

I feel your pain, I hate AE shocks.

Losi ones are sooooooooooooo much easier (XXX CR style ones) for me.

Drifting101 05-26-2008 05:13 PM

TRFs all the way a set on both my TA05s, a set on each of my M-03Rs and spare set. I also have anther set on the way :nod:

eflite300 05-26-2008 06:11 PM

As for meon sock it takes me 1 to 2 hours to build 4 shocks and I use the losi shock tool to make sure the are matched to each other . As far as the rebound rate you put the piston where you want your rebound to be when you seal the top down so if you wanta 75% rebound you put the piston 3/4 of the way down on the shock on finally seal . The x ray shock you do that when you losing the buttom off and then set your piston . anyways that is what I do and it works for me

trilerian 05-26-2008 06:37 PM

The X-ray shock are really easy to rebuild. Here is a breakdown.

New oil, raise the piston a few times to get the air out of them.
The trickiest part of X-ray shocks is putting the bladder in them. Put half of it in, then press on the other half a little and push it in. Make sure there is no air between the bladder and the oil. Once that is done. Pop of the bottom of the shock while upside down. Let the shock stand until the shock shaft goes down to your preferred rebound then twist the bottom back on. Voila!! Sometimes it is necessary to give the shock end a tap when bleeding them. But do not push them down to the desired rebound position. Let them go down on their own.

Tire Chunker 05-26-2008 07:36 PM

You bleed Xray shocks upside down for 10 minutes.

Bollox 05-26-2008 07:54 PM

Hmmm I dont seem to have any problems with the shocks on my TC5.
Tape around shock shaft to the desired position for the amount of rebound you want.
Fill with all let shock shaft slide in till it gets to the tape, put all 4 shocks in the air bleed pump, pump and then put the tops of the shocks together, all 4 shocks matched in less time than it takes to smoke a ciggarette.:D

Slokomo 05-26-2008 07:59 PM

it sure would be easier to understand directions if you would type in proper english. anyway, does anyone use Associated green slime on their shocks? I heard it does make a difference. What is the stuff for?

JoelV 05-26-2008 08:14 PM

I still have this post in my favorites from way back:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...postcount=1694

94eg! 05-26-2008 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Slokomo (Post 4481265)
it sure would be easier to understand directions if you would type in proper english. anyway, does anyone use Associated green slime on their shocks? I heard it does make a difference. What is the stuff for?

Green slime is for the o-rings that seal the rod where it enters the shock body. It's supposed to make reduce the friction fo the rod sliding through the seal (makes the shocks smoother)...

Bollox 05-26-2008 09:38 PM

OK slo just for you I will put it in simple terms even you can understand.

1 empty shocks of old oil.
2 decide what amount of rebound you want.
3 slide the piston rods into the desired position in the shock body.
then put some tape around the shaft so it wont move.
4 fill with your required oil to the top.
5 put all 4 shocks into a shock airbleed pump.
6 pump the machine and you will see all the air come out.
7 rebuild the tops of the shocks as per your instruction book.
this part is optional unless you can find someone to read the book for you.
8 put shocks on car.
9 come back on forum because you probably stuffed it up.
10 blame everyone else because you didnt understand real english.