Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New to the forum and getting back to racing. >

New to the forum and getting back to racing.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to the forum and getting back to racing.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New to the forum and getting back to racing.

Hi fella's my first post here, most impressed with the forum! Ok as the thread title suggests, I am getting back into racing after around 6-7 years out when I used to race a Yokomo at my local club in Colchester. I purchased a Schumacher mi2 a while back, just to build as a hobby as I feel that half the fun is the creating a machine?
Well I will give you the run down on what I have for it, and, as I am looking to get serious about racing again, I need all your advice on what I should be looking for, I thought my car was quick but after revisiting the new Colchester Model Car Club track and seeing the other cars, my car has not a hope in hell, as I feel it seems comperitivly sluggish off the mark and especially through corners, it doesnt seem to have the agility the others have.

Standard mi2 chassis, not sure about the best set up.
Orion Hara edition 10x1 motor (though this hasnt ever been skimmed, I have only had around 10 runs with it, but then again, I havent really used it for a very long time)
basic servo and reciever.
Msonik sprint 4 ESC
standard tyres and wheels.
Its a pretty standard car to be honest, with basic 2400 stick pack batts.

Is it worth me trying to add mods to it? Or would a RTR cyclone be a good option? I have ordered a 3.5 brushless orion vantage, that should be here soon, now just got to purchase my ESC. Can anyone help? I am travelling to snetterton tommorow to watch some racing/practice, does anyone know if there are racers there that are maybe selling equipment? how busy does it get there? and would racers mind me asking about the kit they race with?

Sorry for so many questions, hope someone can help.
Oh and if someone would like to spend an hour or so on my car and make a quick 20 if they can hop it up, then the offers there lol
Old 05-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

First off mate, welcome to the forum! There is a world of knowledge and information on here so feel free to ask for it! Loads of Brits go on here also, so they should give you a great head's up with any of the tracks you plan to take your TC to in the UK. I personally race 1/12th so don't want to say anything about what car you should buy, as TC's are not my thing. Equipment, however, has moved on loads over the last few years. As cell capacity has increased, so has motor power and speed. Modern TC's are mega fast. The knock on effect though is that the setup of your car needs to be perfect so you can utilize all that power. Make sure you do ask loads of questions at Snetterton mate, look for team drivers and ask them. Most of them will be happy to set you straight on any questions you may have. Just don't ask 3 minutes before their last heat or something! Anyway, have fun up there, I have driven by that track a few times and it looks awesome! Cheers bud, Chris.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey Dommo7, welcome back!

There has been so many changes even recently. So, I'll throw some general advice your way:

- most sedans are very comprable in performance with the right knowledge. Stick with something your local shop carries parts for. Popular brands include Corally, X-Ray, Losi (type R), Associated Tc5. If you can, go with a new kit or if you buy used plan to strip her down to screws a rebuild fresh. Either way look to emulate the faster/est drivers.

- brushless/lipo. NOT required but you'll get a lot more performance with less hassle right out of the gate. 17.5/13.5 is more than fast enough.

- get a good charger and a comfortable radio

- servo's are important, invest in a good one.

- have as much fun as you can. we're all a bunch of adults playing with toys.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

your pinion and spur might not be the greatest there, your batteries is another factor, they wont provide the power you are going to need for the 3.5 brushless and now. also just rujn a lrp tc esc or a novak gtb esc. also rtr cyclone, no. my firend's schumacher is one of the fastest stock cars at my track that ive ever seen. it beats mine with almost the same set up. he has the mi2 aswell.