Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new to sealed motors

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default new to sealed motors

Since there is almost no more electric activity down here, I was thinking into a cheap and slow way of racing to encourage new people.

Sealed motors seem to be a good way to make it cheap, slow and stop old racers to cheat.

From what I have seen, there is Tamiya J 540, HPI 27 and 20 turn, and Tamita Sport Tunned (not sure isf this one is sealed).

1) Is tamiya silver can good enaugh to move a 4wd TC ?
2) Can you open a Tamiya Sport Tunned ?
3) Are HPI motors consistent (a lot of 10 all run the same?)

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1. yes, if you fit a heatsink and a fan they can be geared relatively high. i think they run then at TCS events.

2.no, they're similar to the silver cans but 23t and with slightly advanced timing.

3.i don't expect so. HPI motors are made in the same chinese factories as the traxxas ones, and are made for pennies. a better bet is mabuchi silvercans (tamiya ones). i have an ansmann 21t one, and it revs almost as fast as my 19t tuned motor, but has very little torque.

hope i helped

Joe
Old 05-22-2008, 04:51 AM
Tech Adept

1 yes but gear at about 5-1or use around 45-55mm rollout .
i gear at 34 pinion 68 spur final drive is 4.5-1 runs great 10 minutes no problem at all not to hot and no fan
Old 05-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Tech Adept

motor is not the only thing to make power here, the battery does much more to how your tc car could run.

the real stock class only permits nicd battery, it(nicd) has very limited output current. someone cheat because they use high output nimh by putting a nicd sticker on it.

some experienced racer use capacitor on the battery to boost short punch output, beleive or not it works much better with stock motor. it scares you when you think you both are using the same motor and battery. no cheating by the rules.

so ah, more rules mean more advantage to the oldbie.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:03 AM
Tech Adept

stock motor is not slow at all if it is a small to medium size track. keep your car as light as possibile, gear them as high as needed to reach the maxium speed of the track. stock motor can save you big money on batteries and wearing parts.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

thanks for all the info, very useful. Does anybody has an approximate roll out value for a pan car with the mabuchi silver can?
Old 05-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Tech Rookie

I run the Speed Merchant speedspec with a silver can 540 and I am geared at 100 spur and 28 pinion, there is enough speed to make racing interesting, but not enough to break parts.I race with about 7-8 guys and we all run speedspec's, and its awesome because you can kinda race offensively and not worry about breaking someone else's car. Also mini cooper racing with the silver can motors is very popular. Both these cars are inexpensive and tons of fun to drive.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Seattle Indoor Raceway has run silver can sedans since inception. It is consistently our biggest class and draws by far and away the greatest number of new racers. We have an out the door package of TA05, lipo, charger, and radio for $400. For new guys there isn't a better deal.

And while we run indoors on carpet, the nice thing about a rubber tire sedan is that it is very adaptable to an outdoor parking lot track that may not be perfectly prepped. In fact, the core group at SIR migrated from a car dealership that hosted races in its parking lot for several years before SIR was built. Silver can sedans were their meat and potatoes.

As for the specific motor, you can't beat the Tamiya 540J: inexpensive, extremely durable, and they only get better as you run them. Good luck launching your program. Let us know how it goes.