Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Why is the on-road forum so quiet lately? >

Why is the on-road forum so quiet lately?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Why is the on-road forum so quiet lately?

- Nothing left to debate now that lipo and brushless are legal? (except maybe foam v rubber)?
- On-Road dying or dead?
- No new exciting product launches?
- People turned away after the server problems?

Just curious what peoples thoughts are. The pace seems much slower then usual.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

I have found over the last few years I have been on RCtech. This time of year it really slows down. I know of many that race on road in the winter and off road in the summer.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Hey bud, I'm trying. You dont see those new products I put up for discussion?
Im down for whatever. Then lets just both start puttin up new topics and get people talkin. word
Old 05-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I was thinking about lets start doing stuff like this. Sound good?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

shoop-da-rickroll
Old 05-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

this hobby is dead
Old 05-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Tech Champion

they're all too busy reading elvo's car setup guide because they don't have to worry about the latest charging technique with their lipos or the hot brushed motor of the month because they went brushless. can't just throw money at the power anymore.. gotta buy parts to alter setup!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Tech Master

On-road in the form of four wheel drive touring car in my opinion is dying simply because of the costs involved. With today's economy and rising prices of just about everything, I think most racers are looking for other alternatives to spending $500.00 for a basic kit plus add-ons. 12th scale appears to be picking up and there's lot of interest in the new/old Pro-10 class.

just my .02 cents worth.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

While this forum has a decent international following, most of the posters are still US based......and the US is primarily a carpet scene......so once carpet season is done......people start playing with offroad gas buggies or actually going out and getting a girlfriend.....

And, like a few other posters said.....the price of TC right now is nuts.....I had a guy who I bought some cards from notice my paypal address said racing in it and once he figured it out, he asked me what car to get his son into racing, but be competitive.....was tough to tell him, an xray, corrally, etc were needed.....and they run about $400+ not counting all the other stuff......he asked me about offroad, and I was able to tell him under $300 for a top of the line kit that really needs no upgrades to put it on the podium....and it even comes with a body, wheels, and tires that u can often use.....not to mention a monkey can put together a Losi or AE offroad car and get it to work decent.....GL doing that with any TC kit nowadays......I've been racing for 20 years and I still can't get a touring car made in the last 5 years to even go straight down the straight away, simply too much crap that needs to be dialed, or yer screwed.....my original hpi TC.....was easy to build and easy to setup....and went straight its first time and every time after that....TC has clearly lost site of what it started out as.....

Later EddieO
Old 05-20-2008, 03:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by EddieO
While this forum has a decent international following, most of the posters are still US based......and the US is primarily a carpet scene......so once carpet season is done......people start playing with offroad gas buggies or actually going out and getting a girlfriend.....

And, like a few other posters said.....the price of TC right now is nuts.....

TC has clearly lost site of what it started out as.....

Later EddieO
Great summary. But, for the people who have the $, experience and most of all *patience* for all attributes of sedan racing, it is rewarding at the right place with the right atmosphere

Off road has the ability to get people together and turn laps easily without people getting all their latest equipment on show and spending silly money....

The tracks are more challenging to be consistant on than sedan too, as well as the cars being more durable.

OK, an over exageration/stereotype there, but you get the drift of my points hopefully
Old 05-20-2008, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

I last reviewed the On-Road forum twelve hours ago. There's 34 threads within the forum that have new posts in the past twelve hours.

That doesn't sound "so quiet" to me.

Was there a time when there's double or triple that amount of threads being posted to every 1/2 of a day?

Here's six months of data for the entire rctech forums:

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/tr...isplay.php?f=2
Old 05-20-2008, 06:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
I last reviewed the On-Road forum twelve hours ago. There's 34 threads within the forum that have new posts in the past twelve hours.

That doesn't sound "so quiet" to me.

Was there a time when there's double or triple that amount of threads being posted to every 1/2 of a day?

Here's six months of data for the entire rctech forums:

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/tr...isplay.php?f=2
12 hours would typically take you to the end of the second page last year but then all the threads would also have a lot more responses. Every major car out would have an active thread going that had several posts a day.

I dont know, seems quiet to me. Even quieter then last year at this time.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital

- Nothing left to debate now that lipo and brushless are legal? (except maybe foam v rubber)?
- On-Road dying or dead?
- No new exciting product launches?
- People turned away after the server problems?

Just curious what peoples thoughts are. The pace seems much slower then usual.
I think that most of us are just getting on with it and racing. The whole LiPo and brushless debate is old and with the exception of what was chosen for superstock, there's not much to debate.

Onroad is dying for so many reasons. It's not just cost and you can't post about the problems here because there are so many people that would complain about doing anything to change the class or slow the cars down. Almost all of the complainers are running the slowest freaking class by the way.

Exciting products? KO 2.4 system, 12R5, GT10 cars, New JACO rubber wheels, Tekin RS, Hacker and Speedpassion both showing good support, Steve Weiss from Novak always answering all of our stupid questions.

Where else can you ask a company rep "Is a Goose's butt water tight?" and get a response? (It's above the waterline by the way)
Old 05-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by EddieO

And, like a few other posters said.....the price of TC right now is nuts.....I had a guy who I bought some cards from notice my paypal address said racing in it and once he figured it out, he asked me what car to get his son into racing, but be competitive.....was tough to tell him, an xray, corrally, etc were needed.....and they run about $400+ not counting all the other stuff......he asked me about offroad, and I was able to tell him under $300 for a top of the line kit that really needs no upgrades to put it on the podium....and it even comes with a body, wheels, and tires that u can often use.....not to mention a monkey can put together a Losi or AE offroad car and get it to work decent.....GL doing that with any TC kit nowadays......I've been racing for 20 years and I still can't get a touring car made in the last 5 years to even go straight down the straight away, simply too much crap that needs to be dialed, or yer screwed.....my original hpi TC.....was easy to build and easy to setup....and went straight its first time and every time after that....TC has clearly lost site of what it started out as.....

Later EddieO

The real reason is off-road gas.

and they cost more , a lot more in fact....

Why has Gas off-road taken over ?

Just cus it is way more fun, they are super easy to drive and super durable....

You could half the price of a X-Ray and sales still would not change....

Cost has nothing to do with this problem ....
Old 05-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The fun in off-road is front-loaded. That is, it's fun right away, even if you're no good at it. You can go off sweet jumps, bash into things, and generally keep on going. At the higher levels of competition, it's just as intense as any other form of racing, but you can have a good time getting there, and building up to that slowly.

On-road is hard, especially at first. The cars are fragile, expensive, and difficult to tune. The real fun doesn't start right away, but instead comes later on, when you start getting competitive, and don't hit every board on your way around the track. It takes a lot of perseverance to get to that point, something which most people who try it seem to lack. And there's no sweet jumps, so when you're no good to start out, you don't even get that small amount of satisfaction.

For people that like to really get into the details, and concentrate on precise driving, on-road is probably the best choice. The problem is, that excludes most people, especially Gen Y. Off-road is fun right out of the box, and while it may not share quite the same depth as on-road, a vast majority of people don't care.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.