Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Oh and before I forget I wanted to give a big thanks to Kerk on this forum. He saw that I needed a rare part for my evo5MS and bought it in SG for me AND sent it to me for free! I was speechless! Your present from me is on the way TB03 thread members rock!
Old 10-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarKing
Chris, I would never DQ you.....but if you have trouble in tech, and it prevents you from making your main, well those things happen.

No, I know one will come out eventually, but now is not that time. Trust me, I am excited for it as well.

Still enjoying your MS Chris?
Originally Posted by Timmie
+1001

I finally got mine running again...ready for carpet season
the EvoV MS is THE best car to have in low power motor classes like GT2, RCGT, VTA. improvements over the regular EvoV are so huge (like changing the spur gear). this car is definitely a hidden gem.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

+1001

I finally got mine running again...ready for carpet season
Great to know your EVO running!!
Getting the part to you is my pleasure. Don't have to mention it.

I suppose anyone who's serious about their TB-03, will eventually get their hands on the EVO 5/ MS.

Probably one of my best buys! Love it!

Cheers!!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by kerk
Great to know your EVO running!!
Getting the part to you is my pleasure. Don't have to mention it.

I suppose anyone who's serious about their TB-03, will eventually get their hands on the EVO 5/ MS.

Probably one of my best buys! Love it!

Cheers!!
I am thinking of getting one later. The TB-03D is nearly the same thing right? Just a tub chassis and different gearbox? i wonder, do they have a chart to see what parts are compatible with each other?

Maybe it'll get a little cheaper. I have not found a place that sells it below 400 yet. I am happy with my TB-03D though.

Does anyone know if the shocks are 50mm or 55mm? The standard shock size on the TRF shocks/CVA shocks?
Old 10-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Now getting philosophical:

Reading enough about this evo (6) and TB-03(R) hype i still have a question:

Will shaft driven cars ever take the lead again?

I think we are on a good way. But aren't there general physical problems (torque steer e. g.) while running shaft driven cars compared to belt driven cars?

Or did developement a fast step forward to bring shaft driven cars back to the level of of belt driven cars? Torque steer doesn't seem to be a problem anymore after all the mods and improvements a (tamiya) car has received.

I dont't find a conclusion by now.

The general question is: Were they all wrong setting up belt driven systems?

What do you think about this?
Old 10-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Glinzo
Now getting philosophical:

Reading enough about this evo (6) and TB-03(R) hype i still have a question:

Will shaft driven cars ever take the lead again?

I think we are on a good way. But aren't there general physical problems (torque steer e. g.) while running shaft driven cars compared to belt driven cars?

Or did developement a fast step forward to bring shaft driven cars back to the level of of belt driven cars? Torque steer doesn't seem to be a problem anymore after all the mods and improvements a (tamiya) car has received.

I dont't find a conclusion by now.

The general question is: Were they all wrong setting up belt driven systems?

What do you think about this?
I might be wrong, but don't 1:1 road cars (e.g. Veyron) also uses prop shaft to drive its front wheels?
I think if we set the corner weights right, it will provide uniform grip between the 2 pairs of tyres. This will yield balanced grip to propel and corner. Coupled with sensible suspension setups, torque steer probably will not be evident or corrupt our shaft cars' excellent performance!

Cheers!!
Old 10-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

One of the reasons belt cars don't see torque steer is because of the motor configuration.

Shaft cars have it bad in the effect of rotational torque of the motor being set longitudaly. With the advent of brushless the rotor is much less rotating weight than an armature in a brushed motor so this has helped somewhat.

Alot has changed and will continue to change with LiPos and other improvements. I think we will see alot of changes coming in the next years in regards to chassis designs.

Jimmy Wright
Old 10-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

How long has the Evo MS been out?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy
How long has the Evo MS been out?
A while now. If you want one, tell your local hobby store. They CAN get one from Tamiya USA. We do have them in stock.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Addict

I don't believe in all the talk of torque steer problems with shaft cars in stock to mid power motor class now a days since brushless motors came about. Like Jimmy said, the torque steer problem that people talk about so much with shaft drive is from experience with them back in the day. Try to hold on to a 10turn brush motor in your hands and go full throttle. Then hold a 4 turn brushless and go full throttle....ok you know what, thats a bad idea just take my word for it

When I got back into racing last year, I bought a 416 and then a couple months later I bought a evo5MS. When I switched to shaft drive for 17.5 everyone here said I was nuts, "why are you going to use a shaft car they torque steer blah blah blah" well things have been quite around here about that since I've been "torque steering" around them You just can't beat how smooth and efficient a well build shaft car can be. I believe a lot of people are quick to blame torque steer instead of not driving the car right. You have to be a little smoother with a shaft car because it is so responsive to throttle.
Shaft cars do have some disadvantage with weight placement, but with the right battery its not a issue. With my current lipo, my TB has no tweak.

Shaft cars have made a comeback for sure and I'm glad to see that. Classes like VTA and RCGT have really helped revitalize shaft cars. I like my belt cars too, don't get me wrong,but shaft drive is the bomb I was the only one around my area with a shaft car...but not anymore, and some others I know are talking of getting TB03s soon. 2010 - the year of the shaft
Old 10-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Actually, the bigger problem with shaft drive was probably the harmonics in the drive train with high power motors. I spoke with someone who worked at Associated, and he told me there were 3 points at which the harmonic affected the cars power from 0-45 mph. Each of the points took more power to overcome, and at least at the time of testing, they couldn't overcome the last point with the equipment they had. Unfortunately for them, whatever HPI was doing with their drive train on the Pro4, they could overcome this last sticking point of harmonics and could hit higher top speeds. That's why Hara won all those races vs. the Tc3 and Tc4.

Obviously, this wasn't really an issue with stock or 19t motors. With those cars, it had more to do with the lack of adjustability in roll centers and width, not to mention the Xray and corally cars being really free in the drive train.

Tamiya seems to have taken all of this in. The TB03 is a great car for the money, and overcomes a lot of these shortcomings.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by robk
Actually, the bigger problem with shaft drive was probably the harmonics in the drive train with high power motors. I spoke with someone who worked at Associated, and he told me there were 3 points at which the harmonic affected the cars power from 0-45 mph. Each of the points took more power to overcome, and at least at the time of testing, they couldn't overcome the last point with the equipment they had. Unfortunately for them, whatever HPI was doing with their drive train on the Pro4, they could overcome this last sticking point of harmonics and could hit higher top speeds. That's why Hara won all those races vs. the Tc3 and Tc4.

Obviously, this wasn't really an issue with stock or 19t motors. With those cars, it had more to do with the lack of adjustability in roll centers and width, not to mention the Xray and corally cars being really free in the drive train.

Tamiya seems to have taken all of this in. The TB03 is a great car for the money, and overcomes a lot of these shortcomings.
Thats really interesting what you were saying about the harmonics. Did they happen to say exactly what was causing it on the TC3? Just really curious.

I've been thinking about what those points probably were. I would believe the main point of resonance would be the shaft itself and its orbit off the centerline of the shaft at certain rpm. The upgraded driveshaft for the TB03 uses a captured roll pin design on one end that would help out in that area. Eyeballing a TC3 shaft I have, its about 15mm longer than a TB03's shaft. So shaft length could be a part of the tuning frequency. Also with the power of mod motors I'm sure there was flex involved with the shaft. The gear teeth itself on the diff gears would be another point of resonance. The pitch of the gear teeth, gear mesh tightness, number of teeth etc. would change that. The pinion and spur gear could be another one. With shaft drive, resonance from the motor itself could be transfered here and directly to the drivetrain....versus a belt drive that the resonance would be transfered to a point and then absorbed by the belt.

Wish I had a pro4 to look at really close. Anyway enough rambling
Old 10-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Thats really interesting what you were saying about the harmonics. Did they happen to say exactly what was causing it on the TC3? Just really curious.

I've been thinking about what those points probably were. I would believe the main point of resonance would be the shaft itself and its orbit off the centerline of the shaft at certain rpm. The upgraded driveshaft for the TB03 uses a captured roll pin design on one end that would help out in that area. Eyeballing a TC3 shaft I have, its about 15mm longer than a TB03's shaft. So shaft length could be a part of the tuning frequency. Also with the power of mod motors I'm sure there was flex involved with the shaft. The gear teeth itself on the diff gears would be another point of resonance. The pitch of the gear teeth, gear mesh tightness, number of teeth etc. would change that. The pinion and spur gear could be another one. With shaft drive, resonance from the motor itself could be transfered here and directly to the drivetrain....versus a belt drive that the resonance would be transfered to a point and then absorbed by the belt.

Wish I had a pro4 to look at really close. Anyway enough rambling
From what I understand, it was a combination of materials, the style of gear they used-- basically the things you hit on. If I remember right, the points where the harmonics became bad were about 15mph apart.

Either way, it probably won't be an issue in 17.5
Old 10-09-2009, 06:05 AM
Tech Adept

Min TB-03D in progress!
Old 10-11-2009, 02:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

I just installed a Novak Ballistic 3S 8.5T 5000KV brushless system in my TB-03D. It is a little slow at start up and I thought it was suppose to be like that.

I played with my Sprint 2 recently and it has a Orion Orbital 13T Modified Motor and Tazer 12T ESC and I had a blast. Smooth, torque, awesome. A dream to drift/race with.

I read the manuel and it said you must change the pinion gear or I'll have a slow sloppy start and it'll run hotter(Like it does now). It gave some pinion teeth numbers though. Not sure what to choose or where to get it.

I don't have to change the Spur Gear right? What pinion gear for my motor should I get for the TB-03D to optimize it? Where to get it?

Also, after playing with my Sprint 2 I almost went back to brush motors. I am new to Brushless Systems still. The Orion was awesome, I want my TB-03D to have that feeling of torque, smoothness and not running hot. Also my brush has 0 glitches.

Let me hear your thoughts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.